Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:31 am
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 395
mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

And I can't wait! It's been a tumultuous couple of weeks - lots of pro's and con's. Got a cheap one way flight on air new zealand and flying back in october! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from me.

one thing : i noticed my english passport has expired. Will it be ok to fly one way on a new zealand passport?

Last edited by mingusdynasty; Jun 29th 2007 at 6:35 am.
mingusdynasty is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:52 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
And I can't wait! It's been a tumultuous couple of weeks - lots of pro's and con's. Got a cheap one way flight on air new zealand and flying back in october! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from me.

one thing : i noticed my english passport has expired. Will it be ok to fly one way on a new zealand passport?
Hi
I had this issue as I've an oz passport but my UK one has expired & I wanted a o/w ticket back to UK.
I called the high commission who told me
1. I may not be allowed to exit Oz if I have a o/w ticket to UK with no onward ticket booked to depart UK.
2. I would get turned away at UK immigration even if I beg, cry & wave an expired UK passport about, because I'm entering as an Ozzie. The only way round it was to have an onward ticket out of the UK. If not, they would put me on a plane straight back to Oz.
Also, if you do have an onward ticket, you are in the UK as a non-brit. You have to renew your UK passport, leave the country as a kiwi/ozzie, then re-enter as a Brit before you are able to work etc.

I was told by someone from BE that you shouldnt be refused entry if you're a brit citizen and turn up even with an expired passport.

However, travelling as an Ozzzie/Kiwi citizen (which you would be if using that passport) could cause issues it seems.

The good news is you can get the forrms needed etc and apply for a UK passport from NZ. It takes 20 working days here in Oz to process & costs $330 Aus.

Hope that helps & is clear

I decided not to risk it and have applied for my UK passport

All the best & good luck returning home
Tanya
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:58 am
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 395
mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi
I had this issue as I've an oz passport but my UK one has expired & I wanted a o/w ticket back to UK.
I called the high commission who told me
1. I may not be allowed to exit Oz if I have a o/w ticket to UK with no onward ticket booked to depart UK.
2. I would get turned away at UK immigration even if I beg, cry & wave an expired UK passport about, because I'm entering as an Ozzie. The only way round it was to have an onward ticket out of the UK. If not, they would put me on a plane straight back to Oz.
Also, if you do have an onward ticket, you are in the UK as a non-brit. You have to renew your UK passport, leave the country as a kiwi/ozzie, then re-enter as a Brit before you are able to work etc.

I was told by someone from BE that you shouldnt be refused entry if you're a brit citizen and turn up even with an expired passport.

However, travelling as an Ozzzie/Kiwi citizen (which you would be if using that passport) could cause issues it seems.

The good news is you can get the forrms needed etc and apply for a UK passport from NZ. It takes 20 working days here in Oz to process & costs $330 Aus.

Hope that helps & is clear

I decided not to risk it and have applied for my UK passport

All the best & good luck returning home
Tanya
Ok thanks. Was thinking about taking the expired passport as proof I was a brit but that would be disatourous - to be sent back!
mingusdynasty is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:05 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Ok thanks. Was thinking about taking the expired passport as proof I was a brit but that would be disatourous - to be sent back!
I know.
When they told me I was SOOOOO glad I'd called. Just imagine being sent back!!!!! Be quite funny once it was a memory a few years later but not at the time. I'd be screaming like a banshee.
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:18 am
  #5  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 395
mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I know.
When they told me I was SOOOOO glad I'd called. Just imagine being sent back!!!!! Be quite funny once it was a memory a few years later but not at the time. I'd be screaming like a banshee.
Me to "Please don't send me back!" I'd probably plead asylum (im mad anyway) and they would have to let you in.
mingusdynasty is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:26 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Me to "Please don't send me back!" I'd probably plead asylum (im mad anyway) and they would have to let you in.

Be funny if there were a few on the same flight, all turning up with expired passports.
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:46 am
  #7  
on my way home :)
 
leeds lass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 79
leeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
And I can't wait! It's been a tumultuous couple of weeks - lots of pro's and con's. Got a cheap one way flight on air new zealand and flying back in october! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from me.

one thing : i noticed my english passport has expired. Will it be ok to fly one way on a new zealand passport?
Hi

Just to let you know it happened to us with the passport, but i lost the husbands, you can apply to the british high commision in wellington for another its not cheap though it was over 200 dollars!!!!

When we got back to manchester airport we did get asked lots of questions though because it was issued in NZ but she did let us in when I explained we had lost it over in NZ and just had it replaced over there.

good luck with the move back in october, its great to be back among the hussle and bustle of england. New Zealand was beautiful but England is great.

Dont spend the next 3 months worrying if you made the right decission like I did, once you get off that plane all your worries disappear and NZ becomes a fading memory. Good luck

Mel
leeds lass is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:20 am
  #8  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 395
mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by leeds lass
Hi

Just to let you know it happened to us with the passport, but i lost the husbands, you can apply to the british high commision in wellington for another its not cheap though it was over 200 dollars!!!!

When we got back to manchester airport we did get asked lots of questions though because it was issued in NZ but she did let us in when I explained we had lost it over in NZ and just had it replaced over there.

good luck with the move back in october, its great to be back among the hussle and bustle of england. New Zealand was beautiful but England is great.

Dont spend the next 3 months worrying if you made the right decission like I did, once you get off that plane all your worries disappear and NZ becomes a fading memory. Good luck

Mel
thanks - im heading back to manchester as well. Will be good to be around fellow mancunians and northerners. I won't have to keep explaining myself for one thing!
mingusdynasty is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:37 pm
  #9  
on my way home :)
 
leeds lass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 79
leeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
thanks - im heading back to manchester as well. Will be good to be around fellow mancunians and northerners. I won't have to keep explaining myself for one thing!
trust me you will get sick of explaining yourself to everyone. As soon as you see someone they ask "why have you come back here??" it gets on your nerves after the 100th person, but not so many people are asking now thank god lol
leeds lass is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:31 pm
  #10  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 395
mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by leeds lass
trust me you will get sick of explaining yourself to everyone. As soon as you see someone they ask "why have you come back here??" it gets on your nerves after the 100th person, but not so many people are asking now thank god lol
I know, my mum is the worst. Of course most of em have never left England at all.
mingusdynasty is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:54 pm
  #11  
This space for rent
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 129
freezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by leeds lass
trust me you will get sick of explaining yourself to everyone. As soon as you see someone they ask "why have you come back here??" it gets on your nerves after the 100th person, but not so many people are asking now thank god lol
Last time I was in Manchester I got tired of explaining that I wasnt American and that I only lived there and the reason I sounded like one was I had been there for 10 years.
freezerman is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:30 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
auspal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 480
auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

My son is entitled to a British passport and an Aussie one so he sent off for both and booked a one -way flight to the UK as he is doing a bit of travelling.

Catastrophe when the British one didnt arrive, he rang the Embassy and they told him they were extrmemely busy and the passport wouldnt arrive before his departure date.

The solution was as already suggested, to have an onward ticket out of UK. He booked a cheap oneway flight online to Dublin, and had no problems with his Aussie passport when he arrived in London and presented the Dublin ticket. Just look online and get a twenty quid flight out of the country and you will be sorted.

His British passport arrived a week after he had left so I was able to post that to him.
auspal is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:51 am
  #13  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 395
mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by auspal
My son is entitled to a British passport and an Aussie one so he sent off for both and booked a one -way flight to the UK as he is doing a bit of travelling.

Catastrophe when the British one didnt arrive, he rang the Embassy and they told him they were extrmemely busy and the passport wouldnt arrive before his departure date.

The solution was as already suggested, to have an onward ticket out of UK. He booked a cheap oneway flight online to Dublin, and had no problems with his Aussie passport when he arrived in London and presented the Dublin ticket. Just look online and get a twenty quid flight out of the country and you will be sorted.

His British passport arrived a week after he had left so I was able to post that to him.
Good idea! Never been to Ireland either.
mingusdynasty is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:47 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
auspal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 480
auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Dont know whether he will even use the ticket, but it was the way out of a predicament. Just make sure it is Southern Ireland though if you do book.

I went to Dublin for the first time a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it, OH is Irish so he had been before
auspal is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:56 am
  #15  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 395
mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Originally Posted by auspal
Dont know whether he will even use the ticket, but it was the way out of a predicament. Just make sure it is Southern Ireland though if you do book.

I went to Dublin for the first time a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it, OH is Irish so he had been before
Would love to be sitting in a dublin pub now with a nice guiness listening to somebody playing in a folk band.

Im selling a lot of things to help me when I get back (mostly online), How much would be a good amount? I came to NZ with about 2.5K and I think im heading home with the same amount!

I am pretty much skint unfortunately so it won't be much. Im just thinking enough for a month or two should be fine, give me some breathing space to get organised with work, dole if need be, and a couple of months rent.
mingusdynasty is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.