Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of
Default Re: flights booked : flying home from New Zealand

Wouldnt have a clue on that one mate, but I 'm sure you'll be fine with whatever you take shouldnt take you long to get a job.

We had a few days in Dublin and did the Literary Tour of Dublin, with a few actors who walked us round the town and told us the Literary history of the place, and gave some speeches in some famous spots, my hubbie won the comp where they asked a question Irish literature, and got a small bottle of Jamiesons whisky as a prize, I was so proud.

We did the music tour as well, where we did a pub crawl and walked from famous pub to pub with a traditional Irish band who played in each venue and gave us a bit of history about the music, learnt a few new songs there The band were a bit insulted when some Poms asked them to play " Black velvet band " though, it was a bit beneath them

We then hired a car and went to places like Galway etc. Couldnt believe how many overseas young people were working there, its fabulous.

If you get manage to get there, raise your glass of guiness to me, best of luck matey
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Would love to be sitting in a dublin pub now with a nice guiness listening to somebody playing in a folk band.

Im selling a lot of things to help me when I get back (mostly online), How much would be a good amount? I came to NZ with about 2.5K and I think im heading home with the same amount!

I am pretty much skint unfortunately so it won't be much. Im just thinking enough for a month or two should be fine, give me some breathing space to get organised with work, dole if need be, and a couple of months rent.
Hi mingusdynasty

I'm also flying home in October from NZ. Where abouts are you in NZ?

My family and i have only been here for 7months. We started in Christchurch and are now in New Plymouth. Unfortunately a lot of things have gone very wrong, long story. As a result I'm taking our new baby and 12 year old home. Once home if it's still where i want to be the OH will follow. Our eldest however is staying in NZ with his girlfriend.

I know what you mean about lifting a huge weight. I've felt better since I've made my mind up to return.

Hope you get your passport sorted.

Why are you going home? sorry to be so direct I'm just curious. Don't answer if you don't want to.

Good luck for your return.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:57 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tillergirl
Hi mingusdynasty

My family and i have only been here for 7months. We started in Christchurch and are now in New Plymouth. Unfortunately a lot of things have gone very wrong, long story. As a result I'm taking our new baby and 12 year old home. Once home if it's still where i want to be the OH will follow. Our eldest however is staying in NZ with his girlfriend.

I know what you mean about lifting a huge weight. I've felt better since I've made my mind up to return.

Why are you going home? sorry to be so direct I'm just curious. Don't answer if you don't want to.

Hi there, i've got a 7 year itch which needs to be scratched! I have citizenship so in theory could move back. But i really miss my family. I never see them here. I'm missing see them grow up and be there for them.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Hi there, i've got a 7 year itch which needs to be scratched! I have citizenship so in theory could move back. But i really miss my family. I never see them here. I'm missing see them grow up and be there for them.
Thanks for sharing your reasons for returning. They are most important reasons to go home.

Do you foresee yourself returning to NZ?

I bet your a very busy bee at the moment. I've just had a quote from NZ Van Lines for our move. Just waiting for Hookers quote now.

Take care
Tillergirl
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 6:51 pm
on my way home :)

leeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud of

Thanks for sharing your reasons for returning. They are most important reasons to go home.

Do you foresee yourself returning to NZ?

I bet your a very busy bee at the moment. I've just had a quote from NZ Van Lines for our move. Just waiting for Hookers quote now.

Take care
Tillergirl
Hi

Just thought you might like to try the people I used for a quote, they were transworld they were cheap and nothing was damaged when I got it back in England

Leeds Lass
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:05 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Hi mingusdynasty

lets here the details! WHy u leaving?
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

lets here the details! WHy u leaving?
Are you ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. We arrived in Christchurch. We had set up a rental property from the UK, through a company called Quinovic. This company was recommended to us via a good source.

The sky is blue the sun is shining and Quinovic have sent a taxi for us. Brilliant
We drive into Christchurch passing lots of nice homes. Our tiredness from the flight is out weighed by our excitement. We pull into a not so nice street!!! thank goodness we carry on, then the driver turns around back into that street. we pull up outside a house that looks ready for demolition, it even has a crane on the drive!!!!! This can't be it?! yes it is!!!!!
The crane has just pulled down the garage we have paid to rent. It doesn't end there. It has also broken the mains water pipe for the house.

(I should have said at the beginning that along with our two boys, aged 17 and 12 we had also reluctantly brought OH's mom and step dad. Not a good idea.)

So there we are tired, jet lagged and bewildered. It was 5 o'clock in the evening, what do we do?.................... Well, we go in have papers shoved at us. We don't know which way is up, so we sign them.......STUPID!!!

The Quinovic people leave and we look around. It gets worse; holes in window frames, holes in walls, filthy, cooker not working, furniture is ready for the tip, beds are damp, boy's get trapped in the bed room and we have to kick the door down to get them out, etc, etc.
We decide to leave but mother-in-law doesn't want to......? I give in and go to bed crying....I'm then woken by party and kids doing burn outs...HELP!!

(Also forgot to mention i was 3 months pregnant. With bad sickness)

We find a new rental. Lovely but small. Kids have to share and mother-in-law and husband drive us mad; they eat our food wont shop, then they hide food in their room and still help us eat ours, step-dad is so useless he wont even take the rubbish out, moan about kids watching TV, etc,etc

Next our 17 year old decides to go home.......I take him to the airport and I'm a mess. Anyway he doesn't go.........

We find another rental big enough for us all. Mother-in-law doesn't like how much it costs. I have to constantly ask for their share of bills. It's awful.

Whilst all this has been going on, my OH's job was not what we had arranged whilst in the UK. But what can we do. He has to work very odd shifts 3pm till 12am. However, he was always late. So I'm left to try and sort out all these problems.

Our container arrives and his beloved motorcycle is damaged.

Son hates his school. It's very rough... He wants to move...Not again...

Rental car gets driven into.....Isn't life great!!!!!!!!!!

We decide to have a rest and we go to visit friends in New Plymouth. We have a nice time and decide we will give it a go in New Plymouth. I'm happy because it will put some distance between me and the in-laws. I'm sad because my OH has to stay in Christchurch for another 3 weeks, to work out his notice.

I drive up to New Plymouth. Car rammed full, feeling as sick as a dog, kids arguing.

This time I'd arranged a rental via a friend. NOOOOOOOOO.... It's not good. (Damp, no heating at all!!!, water leak,) But no where near as bad as the first. We give it a good clean and wait for our stuff to arrive.
The van arrives all is going well until the bike....Once again it is damaged. For f k sake........I ring OH and break the news he is livid, another insurance claim.

I try to shake of all the problems and set to work on settling us down.

School gets sorted. 17 year old gets a job....all's going well. Midwife to sort.........I can't get one, they are all full........Eventually i beg and plead and i get one. She is ace.
OH arrives. YESSSSSSS He's not happy with the house but agrees that i need a rest before the baby arrives.

The pregnancy is not easy. I have low iron and platelets. The baby is breech. I'm still being sick. The worst is still to come.

The in-laws decide to move up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i need to be induced.
The birth is very difficult and i end up having an epidural and a vontouse birth. The surgeon saves me from a c-section. Good Man.
Our baby boy is born 9lb 2oz. He is fit and healthy. Gorgeous little man.

My mom comes to stay and it's heaven. My dad also comes...(they are divorced) It's so nice to see them. I'm a mess when they go and i finally admit to my OH that i want to go home.

The in-laws arrive. They are not happy that we are going back because they have a two year work visa and are hoping that after that, we would sponsor them......Then they had plans to put a house on our land, so that they can live cheaply... Never mind that we would need quite a substantial mortgage to buy this land.

Our 17 year old decides to stay. The in-laws rent there own house and our 17 year old rents a room from them because, they say they are going to stay for the two years. They then let his girlfriend move in with him. He really wants to stay now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are still going home. The in-laws are surprised. They are talking of leaving too. Our 17 year old will be stuffed...... To me they have used him to try to manipulate me into staying.

Well our 17 year old and his girlfriend have decided to get a rental of their own. We are helping them. I have accepted that he is ready to move on and cut off his apron strings. I'm not ready but are you ever?

As you know i plan to leave in October. I hope i can make it until then. I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow to get some happy pills. My panic attacks are still with me, but the baby seems to have distracted me and I'm getting less of them.

One day i will look back on all this and laugh... i hope.. it's been an experience that i will never forget. Good has come from it however, my relationship with my mom is so strong now. My relationship with my OH has so far held up to all this mess, in fact it's stronger. He is my rock.

I hope i haven't bored you......
Good luck on your return mingusdynasty
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leeds lass
Hi

Just thought you might like to try the people I used for a quote, they were transworld they were cheap and nothing was damaged when I got it back in England

Leeds Lass
Cheers leeds lass, i will give them a go.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus Tillergirl

my heart goes out to you......what an absolute nightmare you've been through.
hang in there mate until October
good luck n love xxxx
T
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:12 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

1. We arrived in Christchurch. We had set up a rental property from the UK, through a company called Quinovic. This company was recommended to us via a good source.

The sky is blue the sun is shining and Quinovic have sent a taxi for us. Brilliant
We drive into Christchurch passing lots of nice homes. Our tiredness from the flight is out weighed by our excitement. We pull into a not so nice street!!! thank goodness we carry on, then the driver turns around back into that street. we pull up outside a house that looks ready for demolition, it even has a crane on the drive!!!!! This can't be it?! yes it is!!!!!
The crane has just pulled down the garage we have paid to rent. It doesn't end there. It has also broken the mains water pipe for the house.

(I should have said at the beginning that along with our two boys, aged 17 and 12 we had also reluctantly brought OH's mom and step dad. Not a good idea.)

So there we are tired, jet lagged and bewildered. It was 5 o'clock in the evening, what do we do?.................... Well, we go in have papers shoved at us. We don't know which way is up, so we sign them.......STUPID!!!

The Quinovic people leave and we look around. It gets worse; holes in window frames, holes in walls, filthy, cooker not working, furniture is ready for the tip, beds are damp, boy's get trapped in the bed room and we have to kick the door down to get them out, etc, etc.
We decide to leave but mother-in-law doesn't want to......? I give in and go to bed crying....I'm then woken by party and kids doing burn outs...HELP!!

We find a new rental. Lovely but small. Kids have to share and mother-in-law and husband drive us mad; they eat our food wont shop, then they hide food in their room and still help us eat ours, step-dad is so useless he wont even take the rubbish out, moan about kids watching TV, etc,etc

Next our 17 year old decides to go home.......I take him to the airport and I'm a mess. Anyway he doesn't go.........

We find another rental big enough for us all. Mother-in-law doesn't like how much it costs. I have to constantly ask for their share of bills. It's awful.

Whilst all this has been going on, my OH's job was not what we had arranged whilst in the UK. But what can we do. He has to work very odd shifts 3pm till 12am. However, he was always late. So I'm left to try and sort out all these problems.

We decide to have a rest and we go to visit friends in New Plymouth. We have a nice time and decide we will give it a go in New Plymouth. I'm happy because it will put some distance between me and the in-laws. I'm sad because my OH has to stay in Christchurch for another 3 weeks, to work out his notice.

I drive up to New Plymouth. Car rammed full, feeling as sick as a dog, kids arguing.

This time I'd arranged a rental via a friend. NOOOOOOOOO.... It's not good. (Damp, no heating at all!!!, water leak,) But no where near as bad as the first. We give it a good clean and wait for our stuff to arrive.
The van arrives all is going well until the bike....Once again it is damaged. For f k sake........I ring OH and break the news he is livid, another insurance claim.

School gets sorted. 17 year old gets a job....all's going well. Midwife to sort.........I can't get one, they are all full........Eventually i beg and plead and i get one. She is ace.
OH arrives. YESSSSSSS He's not happy with the house but agrees that i need a rest before the baby arrives.

The pregnancy is not easy. I have low iron and platelets. The baby is breech. I'm still being sick. The worst is still to come.

The birth is very difficult and i end up having an epidural and a vontouse birth. The surgeon saves me from a c-section. Good Man.

My mom comes to stay and it's heaven. My dad also comes...(they are divorced) It's so nice to see them. I'm a mess when they go and i finally admit to my OH that i want to go home.

The in-laws arrive. They are not happy that we are going back because they have a two year work visa and are hoping that after that, we would sponsor them......Then they had plans to put a house on our land, so that they can live cheaply... Never mind that we would need quite a substantial mortgage to buy this land.

Our 17 year old decides to stay. The in-laws rent there own house and our 17 year old rents a room from them because, they say they are going to stay for the two years. They then let his girlfriend move in with him. He really wants to stay now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are still going home. The in-laws are surprised. They are talking of leaving too. Our 17 year old will be stuffed...... To me they have used him to try to manipulate me into staying.

Well our 17 year old and his girlfriend have decided to get a rental of their own. We are helping them. I have accepted that he is ready to move on and cut off his apron strings. I'm not ready but are you ever?

As you know i plan to leave in October. I hope i can make it until then. I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow to get some happy pills. My panic attacks are still with me, but the baby seems to have distracted me and I'm getting less of them.

One day i will look back on all this and laugh... i hope.. it's been an experience that i will never forget. Good has come from it however, my relationship with my mom is so strong now. My relationship with my OH has so far held up to all this mess, in fact it's stronger. He is my rock.

Hi tillergirl - do you know what - one day you WILL look back on all this and laugh!! Your in-laws sound a right nightmare - I have a particularly draining father-in-law so I can relate to that!!

I would say sod what the in-laws think about you going home - it's nothing to do with them and you must do what you want to do and if hubby is fine about going home that's all that matters.

We came home from Oz last year - OH did not want to come home and my father-in-law really manipulated the whole situation by telling OH that UK was a dump and you should 'stand up to her and make her stay!!' Lucky for me OH is not a male chauvenist neanderthal like his father and agreed to come back with me!!

Don't worry before you know it October will be here and this will all be over.

Good luck and best wishes with planning your return.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

What a nightmare for you tillergirl, bad enough to try and deal with all this, without your hormones being all over the place as well

Congratulations on your little Kiwi baby son, btw

You've got your flights booked, keep taking your 'happy pills' till you get back and get sorted, you definitely need them.

I bet you feel a lot better now that you have spoken about this and written it all down though.

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger, and I am so happy for you that your OH has been so supportive and stuck by you.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:39 pm
Banned

im pretty dumbstruck reading that. Inlaws sound a frickin' nighmare! Good luck with the move back. I hope it all works out for you.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

I think that in-laws should sign a pre-nuptual agreement. They should promise to; mind their own business, HELP!!!!! only when needed and wanted, all criticism should be positive.

Yes right!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No bloody chance, but i can dream. It's nicer than the visions of what i'd like to do to them!

It sounds like you know what in-laws can do Pommybird. I hope that one day i will get over all this and i can once again, have a decent relationship with his mom. I'd hate to think that i couldn't for my OH's sake. Time will tell. Let's hope it's as good a healer as we often say.

Cheers Auspel, Mingusdynasty and Birdynumnum.

P.s Auspel thanks for the congrats. Also if i am made stronger from all this, i will make Superman look like a wimp.....
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:15 am
Just Joined

wimsy is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there, which suburb in Christchurch did you live in???
We are moving back home from christhurch soon and cat wait.....hate it here.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:42 am
Banned

Im starting to get jittery now. Am I doing the right thing? The last four days have been particularly bad for me here so I know If I have the strength to go through with it I will be ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.