flights again??

Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights again??

Originally Posted by Clangers
I can't believe the prices for those months from CA to UK....I'm wondering if I should wait closer to the date, and take a risk that there might be deals, although I don't think there's ever been cheap flights for the summer.

It's almost 1800 from CA to UK - outrageous.

I may have to take son out of school earlier to leave and get a better deal....
It all depends on demand. Sometimes if you wait the price comes down...sometimes it increases. If you can be flexible with dates you have more chance IMO.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 3:21 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clangers
I can't believe the prices for those months from CA to UK....I'm wondering if I should wait closer to the date, and take a risk that there might be deals, although I don't think there's ever been cheap flights for the summer.

It's almost 1800 from CA to UK - outrageous.

I may have to take son out of school earlier to leave and get a better deal....
I've lost track of what months, but have you thought of breaking the trip? For eg, flights from San Diego to Chicago, Chicago to London might work out cheaper. Some routes are expensive and others have lots of deals.

They are saying airlines are losing passengers and might have to offer last minute deals to try to fill the planes.

Bev
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:27 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Ah ok, ours is 2 adults 2 kids (of which one is 12 so essentially 3 adult fares and 1 child). About the same as yours then in that case. Daylight robbery isn't it?!
They are hideously expensive and there's not much left in the pot for presents. But we have a very ill, close family member who may not see next Christmas. What price can you put on that last goodbye? If we were to wait 'til the prices came down it might be too late.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
They are hideously expensive and there's not much left in the pot for presents. But we have a very ill, close family member who may not see next Christmas. What price can you put on that last goodbye? If we were to wait 'til the prices came down it might be too late.
what with the state of the dollar and also because we are both self employed and worried about cutting into our savings (not particularly big) for this trip what with the financial volatility going on, we are seriously considering cancelling. we lose $1700 in fees but we save ourself the $20k cost of the trip. my family would be gutted, as would we, but i don't want to find ourselves in financial strife next year should anything happen to our income levels. hard one
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:30 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

what with the state of the dollar and also because we are both self employed and worried about cutting into our savings (not particularly big) for this trip what with the financial volatility going on, we are seriously considering cancelling. we lose $1700 in fees but we save ourself the $20k cost of the trip. my family would be gutted, as would we, but i don't want to find ourselves in financial strife next year should anything happen to our income levels. hard one
That is a hard call to make, but you might be right to cancel. We feel our hand is forced somewhat by the situation back in the UK. The timing isn't great for us either. My OH is about to leave his job and go self-employed himself, so we have lots of outgoings at present, setting the business up and as you say, the aus$ is a nightmare.
I'm sure your family would understand your decision. Nobody would wish their loved ones financial stress and your next holiday will be all the more enjoyable without that burden and anxiety.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

That is a hard call to make, but you might be right to cancel. We feel our hand is forced somewhat by the situation back in the UK. The timing isn't great for us either. My OH is about to leave his job and go self-employed himself, so we have lots of outgoings at present, setting the business up and as you say, the aus$ is a nightmare.
I'm sure your family would understand your decision. Nobody would wish their loved ones financial stress and your next holiday will be all the more enjoyable without that burden and anxiety.
You don't know my mum, she will absolutely kill me, she will never let me forget it.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:13 am
locked in the attic

You don't know my mum, she will absolutely kill me, she will never let me forget it.
You could always suggest she goes halvies with you to ease the burden. That might curtail her complaining.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

You could always suggest she goes halvies with you to ease the burden. That might curtail her complaining.
Can I give you her number and you could suggest it to her?

No she probably would, but I don't want her to as they run their own business too and are feeling the pinch. Ah, we'll work something out. Hope you have a wonderful time when you are over! What business is your hubby setting up?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:02 am
locked in the attic

Can I give you her number and you could suggest it to her?

No she probably would, but I don't want her to as they run their own business too and are feeling the pinch. Ah, we'll work something out. Hope you have a wonderful time when you are over! What business is your hubby setting up?
Thanks.

He's a gas engineer. Just about finished jumping through all the necessary licensing hoops and hopes to start trading in the new year. Hoping to introduce the aussies to central heating systems, radiators, underfloor heating etc. Just sold 2 systems to a physics teacher and friend on a joint new build venture. They're also having double glazing, finally found someone who understands the importance of insulation and is not in denial about being cold in winter!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherry6
Our flights were just over 5k, one way, with Royal Brunei leaving 27th Oct. Royal Brunei is one of the few airlines where kids are charged as kids, up until they are 17. There are 6 of us in total, 2 adults, 4 kids age 14,13,9 and 1.
We flew back for a visit in July with Royal Brunei and both my girls - 15 and 13 - were charged as adults.