Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

Originally Posted by nateusa
it is a two and half or three hour flight.
More like 4 hours. Perhaps you forgot the time difference? In any case, instead of let's say a 9am arrival into Heathrow, you fly over it and land in IST a few hours later. You then change planes (allow a couple of hours), and add another 4 hours flying time back. You're lucky if you get back to Heathrow by 5pm, so that's pretty much a day gone. Same going back to the US. If you're coming from the east cost, that's pretty much doubled your travel time.

Sure, some would think it's worth it; most with only 10 days vacation time would think otherwise about spending 20% of their holiday time in additional travel.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
If I remember correctly, in the 1990s and early 2000s, it was so much cheaper to fly into London, Paris, or Amsterdam from the US than most of the other cities in Europe so that may have had something to do with it.
I think it's a relatively recent phenomenon for prices to be higher to London than some other places in Europe. As recently as 2007 I flew to London to save money even though I was going to Italy for the majority of the time. Now I suspect I'd pass on the UK altogether.

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Sure, some would think it's worth it; most with only 10 days vacation time would think otherwise about spending 20% of their holiday time in additional travel.
I doubt many US tourists would fly via Istanbul to save money on a trip to the UK. The more interesting question is whether US tourists will choose countries other than the UK as their destination given the high ticket prices to the UK. It used to be kind of a "financial no-brainer" to at least fly to the UK initially, but that equation is no longer valid.

these prices certainly doesn't help.

700 vs 1200?

that is a big difference how ever you slice it.
Up until '08 or so, I could fly to London from San Francisco non-stop for around $400 in the late fall or winter. Now I'm looking at $750 plus. I am not sure whether it would stop me going, but it certainly makes me think twice.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 15th 2013 at 6:57 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

these prices certainly doesn't help.

700 vs 1200?

that is a big difference how ever you slice it.

furthermore i was going to istanbul anyways. i was just giving people suggestions to save money.

i personally think it is worth the extra hassle.
I think you have to quote dates since prices change to cities depending on the dates or season. I just checked JFK to London and JFK to Istanbul for May 10-17 and the price was about the same.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Flight time London to Istanbul is nearer 4.25 hours
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:08 pm
Banned

nateusa will become famous soon enoughnateusa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lansbury
Flight time London to Istanbul is nearer 4.25 hours
no way.

it is near the 3 hour mark.

i've flown a couple of times before.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael
I think you have to quote dates since prices change to cities depending on the dates or season. I just checked JFK to London and JFK to Istanbul for May 10-17 and the price was about the same.
i've checked november.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

no way.

Nonsense. Look at a booking site: there you'll find both Turkish and BA schedule their flights at 4h5-4h10 IST-LHR and 3h45-3h50 LHR-IST.

I've flown it too and didn't suffer any time shortening issues.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:07 pm
Banned

Nonsense. Look at a booking site: there you'll find both Turkish and BA schedule their flights at 4h5-4h10 IST-LHR and 3h45-3h50 LHR-IST.

I've flown it too and didn't suffer any time shortening issues.
so OK you are saying 3.45 to 4 hrs.

then it is feasible that it can be near the 3 hr mark.

when did you fly to istanbul and were on the plane for 4 hours and 15 minutes?

enlighten me.

anyhow it is a relatively short flight. if you have a family of our wouldn't you say it is worth 2k you will be saving?

bloody hell!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

no way.

BA allow a flight time of 4.25 hours for that route. No doubt includes taxi time both ends, but that is all part of the flight.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

so OK you are saying 3.45 to 4 hrs.
No, I said 4 hours.

then it is feasible that it can be near the 3 hr mark.
I don't round 4 down to 3, or even 3h45m, no.

when did you fly to istanbul and were on the plane for 4 hours and 15 minutes?
Probably more like 4h30m once you take into account the fact boarding starts before departure time and disembarking is usually not far off the arrival time.

I flew in around 2003. As far as I know, Turkey hasn't moved that much closer to London in that time.

anyhow it is a relatively short flight. if you have a family of our wouldn't you say it is worth 2k you will be saving?
Time is money. An additional 16 hours plus spent on a vacation on aircraft and at airports is not something parents with small kids like to do. That time can be used to earn money.

bloody hell!
Indeed.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:49 pm
Banned

No, I said 4 hours.

I don't round 4 down to 3, or even 3h45m, no.

Probably more like 4h30m once you take into account the fact boarding starts before departure time and disembarking is usually not far off the arrival time.

I flew in around 2003. As far as I know, Turkey hasn't moved that much closer to London in that time.

Time is money. An additional 16 hours plus spent on a vacation on aircraft and at airports is not something parents with small kids like to do. That time can be used to earn money.

Indeed.
geoff what is going with the tone mate? don't you think it is bit sarcastic?

alternative is offered you can either take it or leave it.

if you don't find additional 4-5 hours worth it then don't do it.

i think it is logical for people to save 2000 dollars for a bit of a hassle.

anyways maybe i should've just kept it to myself.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

geoff what is going with the tone mate? don't you think it is bit sarcastic?
Yes, it is. It's my usual response to people who repeatedly deny facts laid before them, and who then try to move the goalposts when they eventually realise they are wrong. It's best to just say "oops, my bad, yes it is more like 4 hours, not 3". And that would have been the end of it.

I never said it was a bad idea. Just one that doesn't suit me for reasons already mentioned.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:48 pm
Banned

you don't get it do you?

if you want to argue about the time i can do that geoff.

what i said to you was since you quoted 3hour 45 minutes it is perfectly feasible the flight might arrive earlier, is it not?

you've never been on flight where it arrives earlier than expected?

so the duration can be 3 hours 15 minutes or 3 hours 25 minutes.

my point is it is a relatively short flight.

i am sure people appreciate an alternative.

it is disgusting the prices being so high though.

Last edited by nateusa; Apr 15th 2013 at 10:06 pm. Reason: none
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

How about taking this discussion to PMs? I mean nothing new's been said on either side for almost a page of posts!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends if you think 500 dollars is worth it.

for me it means something.
Yes, but it's getting to and from the airport, airport security and everything else that goes with international travel these days.

Less of a issue for a person on their own, but not as doable for family with kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.