Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:57 am
Banned

nateusa will become famous soon enoughnateusa will become famous soon enough
Default Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

What happened to the flight prices to London? It seems the prices of tickets have astronomically jumped compared to 1.5 years ago. British Airways used to advertise tickets as low as 550-700 on their website. Now 1000 dollars? Hell's Horses!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:58 am
Banned

Default Re: Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

sorry please move to the park.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the breakdown, about $650-$700 are taxes and fees so charging $700 would mean the airline would be flying you for free. I suspect most of the taxes and fees are levied by LHR since SFO to JFK has only $55 of taxes and fees but SFO or JFK to LHR has $650-$700 in taxes and fees. That is why it only costs about an extra $100 to fly from SFO than from JFK even if there is a stopover at JFK.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 7th 2013 at 2:39 am.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:36 am
Banned

Have they gone up recently though? The price I paid was 700 dollars a year and a half ago.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

Indeed. The taxes are out of control in the UK
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:13 am
Banned

is there a cheaper way to get there?

i have to go there to renew my passport's stamp every two years.

perhaps there can be a way around that. maybe i can just do it in an embassy?
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nokoman
Indeed. The taxes are out of control in the UK
I don't think it is just the UK since taxes and fees are similar (slightly less at some other airports) for all airports to Europe from the US. Even a trip from LHR to Rome has taxes and fees of $184 but a trip from Paris to Rome has taxes and fees of $104. The taxes and fees flying out of LHR to other European countries seems to be overall higher than between other European countries.

Europe seems have a high landing fees (depends on the size of the plane) and then charges taxes by the mile.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:14 am
Banned

btw 1.5 yrs ago

tickets purchased for 628 dollars and the taxes were 150 dollars.

how can it go up 400 percent in a year and a half?????
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nateusa

Some go to Canada or one of the Caribbean Islands. You don't need the stamp unless you leave the country and then you can get it at the emabssy before you return.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael
Some go to Canada or one of the Caribbean Islands. You don't need the stamp unless you leave the country and then you can get it at the emabssy before you return.
this is the stamp you need to work there correct?

you have to go back to the UK every two years to renew it.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

this is the stamp you need to work there correct?

you have to go back to the UK every two years to renew it.
The stamp is just used to enter the US. Your status is ok as long as you remain in the US. However you may need the stamp (if there isn't any other way) to prove to the DMV that you are a valid resident to renew your driver's license. Anyway that is my understanding and unless someone more knowledgeable on BE states otherwise, that is my understanding.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 7:47 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Air Passenger Duty increased 4% this year, and the fuel duty has been suspended. The cost in tickets is not coming from the Treasury. I appreciate the landing fees may have increased.

But consider its always been more expensive (IM experience) to fly eastbound, why is anyones guess.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Taxes for international flights are huge going into the UK.

It's a lower tax flying in from mainland EU, so fly to somewhere in the Netherlands and transfer in from there, or some such location.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Taxes for international flights are huge going into the UK.

It's a lower tax flying in from mainland EU, so fly to somewhere in the Netherlands and transfer in from there, or some such location.
The taxes and fees via Shannon or Schiphol may be $50 less but not a big savings. It looks like the EU countries have banded together to require high fees and taxes within a range so as to not give any one county a significant advantage over others and therefore screwing consumers.

If the EU could be proactive to close down tax havens for the rich so they could reduce taxes and fees for the consumer, that would probably be the fair way of doing things but that is unlikely to be done.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

You are right. Air taxes in Europe are very high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.