Flashbacks?

Old Aug 19th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flashbacks?

Hello again

Will try to explain what I mean. If you get them you'll know what I mean but hard to explain...

You know, say if you are sitting at a desk and you are about to nod off, then jolt yourself awake before you do - you kind of jump in your head after that feeling of about to drift away? Well, do any of you ever get that feeling of the country you used to be in and do the same? For example, Can a certain smell, temperature, glance at something make you able to "drift off and really "feel" you are back in that country, then a few minutes later you are back to reality? E.g The other day I came out of Waitrose and a car must of just pulled away (wasnt our weather LOL) because I was hit by a rush of warm air like you do when you come out of a mall in Oz. For 2 seconds, I was coming out of the shop in Oz, by the time I got to my car I was UK again.

I used to do it a lot when I first came back and then I think I sort of trained myself to be able to do it. So like if bored at work, I could shut my eyes and be somewhere else.
The longer Im back the less able I am to do it - but I liked to be able to do it - a bit like self induced hypnosis I suppose. I really liked being able to travel from my desk.
Do any of you know what I mean? Its not just a memory as you feel it too. What is it? Can any of you do it?

C x

Last edited by chance to be; Aug 19th 2010 at 7:55 am.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

tdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Flashbacks?

Originally Posted by chance to be
Hello again

Will try to explain what I mean. If you get them you'll know what I mean but hard to explain...

You know, say if you are sitting at a desk and you are about to nod off, then jolt yourself awake before you do - you kind of jump in your head after that feeling of about to drift away? Well, do any of you ever get that feeling of the country you used to be in and do the same? For example, Can a certain smell, temperature, glance at something make you able to "drift off and really "feel" you are back in that country, then a few minutes later you are back to reality? E.g The other day I came out of Waitrose and a car must of just pulled away (wasnt our weather LOL) because I was hit by a rush of warm air like you do when you come out of a mall in Oz. For 2 seconds, I was coming out of the shop in Oz, by the time I got to my car I was UK again.

I used to do it a lot when I first came back and then I think I sort of trained myself to be able to do it. So like if bored at work, I could shut my eyes and be somewhere else.
The longer Im back the less able I am to do it - but I liked to be able to do it - a bit like self induced hypnosis I suppose. I really liked being able to travel from my desk.
Do any of you know what I mean? Its not just a memory as you feel it too. What is it? Can any of you do it?

C x
Last night was pretty cold here in Perth and a lot of people must have been using their wood-burning stoves because there was a real smell of woodsmoke in the air. The combination of the cold, dark and smoke made me think very strongly of bonfire night. Not 100% sure if that's the kind of thing you are meaning?

Also, for the first few years of living over here I would sometimes think I had seen someone in a crowd who couldn't possibly be there. Someone like a neighbour or an old work-mate - just the brain trying to fit faces to memories I guess....
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I used to experience it when I would cycle after some rain when you get that 'metallic' smell. Always got it if ever I saw the relection of drizzle in a streetlight, that kind of thing.

Went to New Malden last Saturday for some Korean food and really had to pinch myself that i wasn't in Eastwood.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do. Luckily I live in the boonies, but I have found myself confused as to what the heck side of the street I'm supposed to be driving on just for a few seconds I am not sure what country I'm in.
I also find myself saying phrases I haven't used since I was a teen. Just this afternoon, Dh was having a moan (he is a Brit too so is forgiven) and I said Awww Bechod, (a shame/sin, or something like it, used to say what a shame) He looked at me like where did that come from?
It happens quite often. The less I work and am around Americans, the more I find I do it, I'm sliding back in time.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Hello again

C x
I'm flashing back to 2006 just seeing your post on here
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly what you mean, recently i found a store that sold one of my favourite UK chocolate bars, I took a bite and I was 14 years old again with my brother and sister in our very old house we grew up in, it was like Da ja vue.....very spooky kind of feeling, it came and went and when I tried to get it back it wouldn't happen. I truly felt there. Smelt that old house, just the bite into a Cadburys flake did that. It used to be our Saturday night treat...........I wanted so much to get it back but couldn't. My brother is no longer alive but for that second we were right there together.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I'm flashing back to 2006 just seeing your post on here
Oh how lovely to hear from you! Hope you are getting on well
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charleygirl
I know exactly what you mean, recently i found a store that sold one of my favourite UK chocolate bars, I took a bite and I was 14 years old again with my brother and sister in our very old house we grew up in, it was like Da ja vue.....very spooky kind of feeling, it came and went and when I tried to get it back it wouldn't happen. I truly felt there. Smelt that old house, just the bite into a Cadburys flake did that. It used to be our Saturday night treat...........I wanted so much to get it back but couldn't. My brother is no longer alive but for that second we were right there together.
Ah thats lovely - its kind of happysad when it happens, isnt it?

PP - PTSD is such a dreadful thing - your posts always indicate someone who's "been there" and you always seem such an inspiration to other people
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

I do it mainly when I am ironing...I love ironing for that reason...I loose my self in the moment and nothing around me matters any more...it's just me and my thoughts and they can be really vivid and almost real....then snap...back to reality!!

LibbyX
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY
I do it mainly when I am ironing...I love ironing for that reason...I loose my self in the moment and nothing around me matters any more...it's just me and my thoughts and they can be really vivid and almost real....then snap...back to reality!!

LibbyX
Is it the smell of burning that snaps you back to reality?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Is it the smell of burning that snaps you back to reality?
Ha Ha...not burnt anything...Yet!!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:30 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdib
Also, for the first few years of living over here I would sometimes think I had seen someone in a crowd who couldn't possibly be there. Someone like a neighbour or an old work-mate - just the brain trying to fit faces to memories I guess....
I have seen so many dopplegangers here in Oz it's not funny. Loads of people look like people I used to work with. The first warm, sunny Spring day in Oz is very evocative of the same time in the UK.