Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

First trip back in 2 years - how it really was.....

First trip back in 2 years - how it really was.....

Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back in 2 years - how it really was.....

Originally Posted by Bob
True, but there are plenty of woods out your way aren't there? Just a case of opps, it is winter...now where did they go?
Maybe I should move somewhere near woods!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I do think though that if I want to see any of my family again, I will have to go to the UK as they won't come over here. Perhaps with the exception of my younger brother.
Sadly, that's my situation too. The odd thing is that I had a close relative who used to come over frequently, but now is increasingly bitter that I left England. But the reality is that you can't control other relatives' actions and it's a mug's game to try to. You just have to concentrate on the people in your life who are actually interested in you.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 4th 2012 at 4:45 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Nobody crawls under your skin and takes a shit like family.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Maybe I should move somewhere near woods!
Well you are moving...so why not add that to the list of requirements
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

With all your misfortune over the past 2 years (lawsuit, health problems, health insurance problems, and landlord problems), it sounds like you are happy to be back.

By the way, what did you do about health insurance?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
So, after our first trip back, I thought I'd update you as to how it really went..... for anyone who's interested.......

The nerves turned quickly to excitement after arriving in Glasgow, and we all couldn't wait to see our families. It turned out to be very emotional, especially when I saw my parents and realised instantly, how much I had really missed them But they are both well and were delighted that we were home for the holidays. That was absolutely the best part of the trip.
Maybe I should have posted this in the Pet Peeves thread...but 'the holidays' really brasses me off.

It's Christmas and New Year...the holidays are in the summer months. You remember sex, sun, sand and sangria.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
True, but there are plenty of woods out your way aren't there? Just a case of opps, it is winter...now where did they go?
And handy for Newtown, scene of the inspiration for the famous Fargo wood chipper scene . . .

Welcome back, Brat1!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Maybe I should have posted this in the Pet Peeves thread...but 'the holidays' really brasses me off.

It's Christmas and New Year...the holidays are in the summer months. You remember sex, sun, sand and sangria.
Ooops Jerseygirl, sorry, I can't believe I actually wrote that because I don't like the expression either....... maybe the inlaws have attacked my brain more than I thought
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops Jerseygirl, sorry, I can't believe I actually wrote that because I don't like the expression either....... maybe the inlaws have attacked my brain more than I thought
That's is possible...

My future son in law is Jewish and keeps saying 'The Holidays'. Of course I correct him every time.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You remember sex, sun, sand and sangria.
Yes and I remember sex and sand being incompatible on occasions...
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
With all your misfortune over the past 2 years (lawsuit, health problems, health insurance problems, and landlord problems), it sounds like you are happy to be back.

By the way, what did you do about health insurance?
You know what Michael, I think all the shit that happened over the last 18 or so months, has made me a stronger person and I've really found that a lot of what I thought I was missing, I wasn't really missing at all, if that makes sense. I now know the people who matter, and those who don't so this is a new year and a new me

As for the health insurance, I am covered at present but I'm still in a war of words with United, although I think I'm on a hiding to nothing with it, so it looks like hubby's is going to have to be it, although we'll be skint, but I'm feeling more positive about everything and hope that the tumour never gives me any future hassle, so thanks for asking. As usual, if I sat down more and thought things through thoroughly, I might stop panicking as much, but I'm afraid that's who I am
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And handy for Newtown, scene of the inspiration for the famous Fargo wood chipper scene . . .

Welcome back, Brat1!
Thanks Nutmegger, I hope you had a wonderful Xmas and I wish you all the best for 2012. And I love Bob's idea about the woods........... especially since my other half is in the landscaping business, I'm sure a chipper would be readily available, after I embalm them first........ I joke of course
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You know what Michael, I think all the shit that happened over the last 18 or so months, has made me a stronger person and I've really found that a lot of what I thought I was missing, I wasn't really missing at all, if that makes sense. I now know the people who matter, and those who don't so this is a new year and a new me

As for the health insurance, I am covered at present but I'm still in a war of words with United, although I think I'm on a hiding to nothing with it, so it looks like hubby's is going to have to be it, although we'll be skint, but I'm feeling more positive about everything and hope that the tumour never gives me any future hassle, so thanks for asking. As usual, if I sat down more and thought things through thoroughly, I might stop panicking as much, but I'm afraid that's who I am
Although I don't know you, the impressions that I get is that you are a bit of a drama queen but on the other hand, once you get over the drama, you appear to have a very positive attitude and don't complain about minor things.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael
Although I don't know you, the impressions that I get is that you are a bit of a drama queen but on the other hand, once you get over the drama, you appear to have a very positive attitude and don't complain about minor things.
You know what, I don't know you either, but if I come over as a bit of a drama queen, then that's the way it is, although I would class a "drama queen" as someone who has the tendency to exaggerate everything. I don't feel that I've exaggerated about my emotions and the things that I've been through since moving and I always try and be positive for others on here as I know how tough the whole moving country and expat life thing is like. But hey, I've been called worse
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You know what, I don't know you either, but if I come over as a bit of a drama queen, then that's the way it is, although I would class a "drama queen" as someone who has the tendency to exaggerate everything. I don't feel that I've exaggerated about my emotions and the things that I've been through since moving and I always try and be positive for others on here as I know how tough the whole moving country and expat life thing is like. But hey, I've been called worse
I didn't mean to offend you and that is why I said "bit". You have never been over the top like a drama queen but I meant that you seem to get yourself over worked up about things such as the lawsuit (maybe that would be because you didn't understand that is fairly normal in the US and very little to concern yourself about).

Now as far as your illness, everybody would get themselves very worked up about something like that and I never considered that as drama.

As I said, I think you are overall a very positive person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.