Finally going home

Old Apr 4th 2018, 4:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally going home

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Thank you for all replies to my posts.
Im finally here!!!!
Well, it's been just over 24 hours since I stepped off the plane home and it's been a whirlwind of activity. I got the keys to my flat, had the carpet people in to measure up, give me a quote and scheduled the fitting; had the electricity account changed to my name; registered with the council to pay the tax on my flat, had a bacon bap, a cuppa and a long, lovely chat with my best mate at a cafe in Hythe; she and I took boxes of kitchen supplies to the flat and now back to her house for Lincolnshire sausages, mash and Brussels for dinner!!
I can't tell you how GOOD it feels to be home!
Congratulations, sounds good! Especially the FOOD related parts of your post!

I think you've missed the worst of the late winter weather? I'm returning to England two weeks from today, and I'm planning on walking on the beach, barefoot, on my second day there - whatever the weather!
Old Apr 4th 2018, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Homebound Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

So happy for you!
Old Apr 4th 2018, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations - you did it - you are home - enjoy it all!!
Old Apr 4th 2018, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I can change the username for him/her if they contact me.
Get out of Canada Quick?
Old Apr 5th 2018, 2:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Get out of Canada Quick?
Do you wish me to alter your username to that ?
Old Apr 5th 2018, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter
Skyrocketing costs (and cheaply made goods) and stagnating wages seems to be a North American problem overall, then. Socially, things seem to be more sensible in Canada (husband’s brother and his wife have lived there for nearly 30 years), but housing costs are tremendous! I asked my sister in law last year whether Canadians had that much more to invest in houses, and she replied, “No: they just take on more debt.” What a burden.

Here in the US, the divide between the rich and the poor has grown so much that it’s impossible to imagine how anyone but the very wealthy might achieve “the American Dream.” At the very most, most people grow up, go to college, are shackled with tremendous debt and spend the rest of their lives chained to modern indentured servitude in jobs that don’t pay enough and don’t provide adequate benefits while they pay off student debt and pay through the nose for health insurance (and costs that aren’t covered by health insurance). Far too few people get proper paid holiday and even fewer take that paid holiday when they can. Oh, and when folk get seriously ill or have to enter a care home, a list of peripheral entities suck any savings they’ve managed to accumulate entirely dry (and then place them on a “generous” subsidized program when those savings run out). What a life.

Sorry to vent and weave such a tale of woe, but my goodness, America has really become such a machine; people are cogs and are replaced when they wear out. It’s madness. I’ve been here for the better part of 15 years and it’s undoubtedly worse now than when I arrived.

OP, I’m so glad you’re taking this leap! I hope you find peace in your heart in Folkestone and spend lots of wonderful time with your friends and family! 😊
I concur with your observations especially as they apply to America's Midwest. Having lived for a time in the Midwest in a region which I was familiar with ( having visited there over several decades) the decline in quality of life has been going on for at least the last two decades.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"the decline in quality of life has been going on for at least the last two decades." The poster is writing about the USA.

For many of us in Scotland and in the UK as a whole this is also true. A small minority have prospered. For many life has become much more difficult.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
"the decline in quality of life has been going on for at least the last two decades." The poster is writing about the USA.

For many of us in Scotland and in the UK as a whole this is also true. A small minority have prospered. For many life has become much more difficult.
At least in UK there is more of a safety net for the unfortunate. Both countries exhibit some similar trends.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute

Another post that is making me look at Folkestone! It is definitely worth looking into.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valspal
Another post that is making me look at Folkestone! It is definitely worth looking into.
Folkestone is a bargain! High speed rail to London yet Folkestone hasn't really been rediscovered yet. Not like Deal where the rich and famous are moving and are sending the prices skyrocketing. I love it!
Old Sep 26th 2018, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Do you wish me to alter your username to that ?
My user name doesn't bother me - it was what we felt at the time. We left the UK just before the last crash. We enjoyed our first 7 years in Canada then moved to Vancouver Island. We had a fantastic life in Surrey and made lots of friends, it wasn't until we moved to Victoria we realized most of our Canadian friends were European or of International decent. My wife and I have very good public sector jobs and have no money issues on the contrary we have made a lot of money here but have been disgusted what we have witnessed by politically and in the work place. We could both write a book on the subject! We like Canada as a place but hate the culture and the self entitlement. I won't go into details on a public forum but what we have seen and witnessed has horrified us. All I would advise people is do their research and not through rose tinted spectacles. There are some very nasty people here in BC and some of them are at the top of politics in BC government. These people are bullies and very corrupt. The good people of BC don't deserve these people to govern this place. When we researched Canada it ticked nearly all of our boxes but one thing stood out and we should have realized they have very poor leaders which makes a huge difference.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
My user name doesn't bother me - it was what we felt at the time. We left the UK just before the last crash. We enjoyed our first 7 years in Canada then moved to Vancouver Island. We had a fantastic life in Surrey and made lots of friends, it wasn't until we moved to Victoria we realized most of our Canadian friends were European or of International decent. My wife and I have very good public sector jobs and have no money issues on the contrary we have made a lot of money here but have been disgusted what we have witnessed by politically and in the work place. We could both write a book on the subject! We like Canada as a place but hate the culture and the self entitlement. I won't go into details on a public forum but what we have seen and witnessed has horrified us. All I would advise people is do their research and not through rose tinted spectacles. There are some very nasty people here in BC and some of them are at the top of politics in BC government. These people are bullies and very corrupt. The good people of BC don't deserve these people to govern this place. When we researched Canada it ticked nearly all of our boxes but one thing stood out and we should have realized they have very poor leaders which makes a huge difference.
I have had that experience in 3 different countries one of which was the UK. I think true happiness is finding where you want to be and being somewhat ambivalent (if possible) to that which goes on around you. For example, I love the beauty and scenery where I currently reside but cannot stand the local inhabitant who as you say have an alien culture and ooze self entitlement.