The final countdown

Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of
Default The final countdown

Well, we are just under 13 weeks until we (or at least I) leave, it seems to have really snuck up on us!

We are still not entirely sure what we're doing when we get back. I have a one way ticket to leave on 8th December, my partner has a return ticket. Originally we had planned that we would have a Christmas holiday in the UK, he would come back here and work for a final month, sell off our last bits of furniture and come back at the end of Jan with out cats, while I found somewhere to live. We're going back at Christmas for a wedding and the lease on our place is up in early February, which is mostly why we'd settled on that arrangement. We also wanted to have somewhere set up for our cats to go to.

However, he is in talks over a job, I am applying for jobs and we are now thinking maybe neither of us should come back after Christmas - it seems a lot of hassle and a fair bit of cost. We should be able to break the lease on this place and only pay the contractual costs (around $270) as it will be a breeze to let out, so that would save us a couple of months' rent, plus the cost of a one way ticket for my partner.

The sticking point is the cats. My parents are in rented and can't have animals, we might be able to stay with OH's mum and stepdad but I don't think it would be very successful at all - I think OH's stepdad would (possibly intentionally! ) let our indoor only cats out within days. Inspired by Sally, though, we are now wondering about getting a holiday let for a month or so, so we can go straight there from the airport and have somewhere for the cats. Lots of research to do, and so far a little alarmed at the cost, although as it will be over Christmas I guess it's understandable.

Anyway this is all very wordy and dull for anyone reading, I'm sure. The exciting thing is that this time in 13 weeks I will be waking up somewhere in the UK! We have so much still to do before then, a ton of stuff to get rid of, banking etc to sort out, OH's visa is up for renewal. We have been selling stuff off for a few weeks now, but until we make a decision on whether or not OH is coming back after Christmas we can't sell everything - if cats are here over Christmas someone will be house sitting and they will probably want more than a garden chair and a mattress on the floor!

Waiting to hear about OH's current job application, if he doesn't get it or turns it down we will need to make a decision on whether or not we are both leaving for good in early December and I guess I'll take it from there.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The final countdown

Not dull at all it's good to understand other though process in all the logistics of getting the move done.
I think looking for a holiday let is a great idea. If none are available till right after the Christmas holiday then what about using a kennels/cattery close to your mothers rental for a week or two till you get to move into a rental of your own.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with MITFH, I am endlessly fascinated by the plans and process of others returning.

Its and exciting and stressful time from the sounds of it. Ditto on the cattery, you could still visit them and although I know it wouldn't be your first choice it would make things a lot easier. There are some really nice places these days where and they'd probably sleep their way through a lot of the time there.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

I think the idea of a holiday rent is a really good idea. I personally find it really hard staying in other peoples homes even my parents.

But, another alterative is a local kennels. Not sure where you are going but kennels near where we lived were £8 a day for cats and cheaper for longer term and more that one discounted.

You could possible get family to check out the local kennels for you?

Good luck with your move.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:47 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Best of luck coming back! It's so exciting to start that "just a few weeks" count down after months and months of planning. it's been beautiful here lately, although today was a bit cloudy, but the weather was still beautiful!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your comments guys, it's good to know there are people reading!

Well, I looked into holiday cottages and that certainly seems to be a viable option although availability is not great given that we're looking over Christmas. Still, I had pretty much settled on a place but now there is a spanner in the works - a potential job in London for my partner. We won't know about this until the end of the month at the earliest, which makes me nervous given how hard I've had to look to find a holiday place that looks decent, is fairly priced and has availability.

We do tend to fly by the seat of our pants in most things and I guess this will be no different. It is really stressing me out though (whether or not moving to London is wise is another issue altogether).

Argh.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Friends of mine recently took back 6 cats and boarded them in a local cattery before moving them to somewhere more permanent. I'll try and get the name of the place as I think it was very reasonably priced.

Btw the way contrary to my other post elsewhere about animals I cannot believe I am now sucked into posting the same
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all your kind responses, advice and support. We have found a holiday cottage for a month, with flexibility to extend beyond that, and who are very welcoming to pets. They have offered to get in pet food, litter trays, water bowls etc which is great. They've also assured me that the cottage will be decorated for Christmas!

We really wanted to avoid putting the cats in a cattery. I know we're just being ridiculously overprotective but both are indoor only rescue cats and one has been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (!). They are quite nervy as is and we didn't think they would cope well with a cattery.

Anyway, we are just over 10 weeks away and there is SO much to do! Lots of little things and lots of things which can't be done yet, which is stressing me out a bit. Still, gives me an excuse to make lists!

How is everyone else getting on with their plans, whatever stage they're at?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, we are 51 days away now, that's quite frightening! Continuing with sorting/selling/binning stuff, seems like a never ending job - can't believe we arrived 5.5 years ago with just a 20kg suitcase each and one box we shipped!
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:09 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
Well, we are 51 days away now, that's quite frightening! Continuing with sorting/selling/binning stuff, seems like a never ending job - can't believe we arrived 5.5 years ago with just a 20kg suitcase each and one box we shipped!
It is scary, isn't it? The stuff just creeps in at night, I swear.

Bev
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
It is scary, isn't it? The stuff just creeps in at night, I swear.

Bev
and it multiplies while you're sleeping.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

adamd76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you started to jump through the hoops required to get the cats into the UK?

I know the rules changed at the start of this year but there were lots of farms to fill in and various vet checks we had to complete.

I must have called heathrow 5 times to check that everything we had was in order.

Ours was a dog, not cats but we had to also pay kennels fees in Heathrow to get him out which amounted to around £300

All went through nicely at the end though!!
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

It definitely creeps in at night, and then multiplies. I do have a sneaky suspicion that some of what I'm putting in the bin is being taken back out again by OH...

Adam we're using a company to do it, so they will handle paperwork etc. I know you can do it yourself but I just don't have the mental energy on top of everything else. We have them booked in for rabies shots in early November, and have the other visits booked for when we actually go. Luckily we used to run a pet-related business which means we know a decent vet who is accredited to do all the paperwork etc (our normal vet doesn't do this) and the company we are using are happy to work with him.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:10 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
It definitely creeps in at night, and then multiplies. I do have a sneaky suspicion that some of what I'm putting in the bin is being taken back out again by OH...

Adam we're using a company to do it, so they will handle paperwork etc. I know you can do it yourself but I just don't have the mental energy on top of everything else. We have them booked in for rabies shots in early November, and have the other visits booked for when we actually go. Luckily we used to run a pet-related business which means we know a decent vet who is accredited to do all the paperwork etc (our normal vet doesn't do this) and the company we are using are happy to work with him.
Well done for getting everything done. Very inspiring!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:08 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Almo;10336211]It definitely creeps in at night, and then multiplies. I do have a sneaky suspicion that some of what I'm putting in the bin is being taken back out again by OH...

You can put money on it! On my first big clear out I had a whole bunch of stuff sitting on the driveway awaiting pick up by a local charity. OH decided to stick his nose in and investigate what was being given away and discovered the his "Bullmaster" was being ditched. This has not been used in the 25 years I have known him, but he insisted that he does use it and it is now crossing the Atlantic enroute to Scotland!!! During the packing, selling and ditching process I had to leave him to his own devices, so I know that there will be a fair amount of junk arriving at my doorstep shortly.

I hope your move goes well and I hope that you are not as exhausted as I was when the movers finally came. I didn't anticipate the feeling of exhaustion that hit me. Glad that is all behind me. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.