families left behind

Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

erose67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: families left behind

I know it is hard on those we leave behind - I've been gone 15 years and I know, initially, my Mum really struggled with it. I definitely put on the happy voice during our weekly phone calls and when she came over to visit I made sure we had a lot of fun - she never saw or picked up on the deep depressions I have been in at times because I miss my family soooo much - if I'd hinted at that with them we would have all been miserable so it's easier to say "everything's great" and keep going.

Now I have a child and, after 15 years, am ready to go back. And I'm now facing the reverse problem - my Mum has gotten used to the "daughter in America" attention she gets, loves her annual vacation over here and, initially, doesn't seem as excited as I'd expected her to be at the thought we are coming home. The rest of my family that hasn't been able to see me as often are all very excited and can't wait to meet their nephew/cousin and welcome him into the family - but I was a little upset by my Mum's initial reaction......I still know this is the right thing for us to do but I'm wondering how well Mum will adapt to having me back in the neighbourhood!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:19 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: families left behind

Originally Posted by erose67
I know it is hard on those we leave behind - I've been gone 15 years and I know, initially, my Mum really struggled with it. I definitely put on the happy voice during our weekly phone calls and when she came over to visit I made sure we had a lot of fun - she never saw or picked up on the deep depressions I have been in at times because I miss my family soooo much - if I'd hinted at that with them we would have all been miserable so it's easier to say "everything's great" and keep going.

Now I have a child and, after 15 years, am ready to go back. And I'm now facing the reverse problem - my Mum has gotten used to the "daughter in America" attention she gets, loves her annual vacation over here and, initially, doesn't seem as excited as I'd expected her to be at the thought we are coming home. The rest of my family that hasn't been able to see me as often are all very excited and can't wait to meet their nephew/cousin and welcome him into the family - but I was a little upset by my Mum's initial reaction......I still know this is the right thing for us to do but I'm wondering how well Mum will adapt to having me back in the neighbourhood!
Maybe your Mum is in shock or is worried about how you will settle. My Mum seemed hesitant too and didn't get too excited in case we changed our minds. She'll probably get excited once you're on the plane!

And having your family around your baby will be lovely! x