Wikiposts

families left behind

Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: families left behind

What a fantastic post, this pretty much sums up the whole emigration emotion rollercoaster ride many of us have made & sometimes reluctantly been part of, very sensitively handled, thanks for that

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Your post struck a chord with me it really did.

Speaking as someone who has left her Dad, brother, sisters, neices, nephews I can give you a small insight as to what it is like.

You see many of us that have emigrated are torn, we are torn between loving our new life and enjoying what we have done and missing our loved ones in the UK.

I wake up with a heavy heart most days realising that it is over 2 years since I last saw my Dad/family/friends.

I want to go back to visit but we cant afford it, even if we could I am too scared to leave my husband due to him being in a car crash last year - so even if you put the money on the table to get me a ticket, I couldnt leave him - I am not ready and he is not allowed to fly.

So in between enjoying my life in Perth, my Dad calls me every day except Saturdays, if he is late calling me I worry, if I am out - he worries and our phonecalls are repetitive yet essential to the sanity of both of us.

I last saw my Dad when I hugged him goodbye at the Underground, leaving in a drug induced calmness that the doctor had 'prescribed' as I wasnt sleeping. It haunts me that the last image of my Dad is the one of me hugging him and feeling exhausted, empty and numb. And then by the time the tears came, I was in my flat for the last night before I flew out so couldnt see him to do a proper goodbye - I sobbed for over 2 hours.

Each time we see our loved ones on facebook we get upset that there are new pictures detailing how our loved ones have changed - fatter/thinner/older - when did they change without me noticing?, new babies are born, we dont see them or hold them and gradually the new family photos do not contain us, we are not part of the album.

Good news is relished in - with everyone except us, as we are not there to relish in it. I wanted to so badly to hug my neice when she passed her driving test, I had been supporting her on facebook and facebook is how I found out due to the time difference.

We miss funerals because we cant get the funds or the time off work, we miss the parties and the gatherings, the banter and the hugs and the general family 'politics' and gossip that comes with being part of it.

Then when we finally do get a loved one to visit (wanted guest and not gatecrasher) - our heart pounds at the arrival doors at the airport, we get emotional when we see the sign 'landed' and then we cry when they come through.

The time spent with them is as though we have never been apart, we slot back in like a comfy shoe.

Then when we say goodbye and the last we see of them is the sliding doors closing as they disappear, we break our hearts like the day we left them in the UK.

We develop and acquire new things, achieve new stuff, get hurt, get sick and get better, start new jobs - just like we did in the UK, except we do it in a different country and you are not there to share in it just like we are not there to share in your news either.

So when you see/read/hear of your family enjoying their new lives, please please please do not think they dont love you, that they dont battle with the constant internal fight of knowing that they belong in their new country and cannot imagine living anywhere else, and realising just what they have given up in order to do it.

Perth is my home, my family are in England, I dont want to live in England - I like it here, I want it all and I cant have it and that is a pain you cannot do anything about nor take anything for.

Your family loves you, they moved to make a different/better life for themselves but distance does not dilute how much they love and miss you. They just cant tell you it constantly as it will upset both them and you.

So although it is hard for you, I can bet you a million dollars that it is equally hard for your family that have migrated - and never underestimate it.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of
Default Re: families left behind

<SNIP>

So although it is hard for you, I can bet you a million dollars that it is equally hard for your family that have migrated - and never underestimate it.
Thank you for posting it. It sums up so much of my life. We immigrated to canada when i was just turning 5. I remember the arrivals and departure gates, crying every year my grandma came stayed 6 weeks and left again. That was pretty much my life for the next 10 or 11 years. She stopped for a bit as money was tighter then. She came back when i married, then when my first child was born.

In later years I decided to go back to the UK and live by my gran. So I took my hubby and kids and went back. In the 7 years we were there, I flew my mom over most summers, Now it was my mom at that gate with the tears flowing from both of us. She stayed the 6 weeks and went back with more tears flowing each year.

We are back in Canada now for the past 4 years. No more arrivals and departure gates as my gran is 85 and too old to fly. But it is with a heavy heart that i am here, my gran will now die alone sometime in the near future. I have me mam and my kids have their Gran with no more departure gates.

To top it all off I miss the UK and the life we had there.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

oh my goodness, I am sitting here in floods of tears. A very touching post.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:48 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Arrivals and departures gates are some of the happiest and saddest places in the world.

I always put a supply of chocolate in the car when we take mum to the airport when she goes back home - I find it helps to stem the kids' tears (doesn't help me if I'm driving though).
Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:56 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Its my neices 18th birthday party today and my other neices 13th birthday. All the family will be there except for me and my other sister who lives abroad.

Today I am seriously feeling the ache of not being there, for not being there for one of my best friends who is about to go through Chemo for breast cancer.

I fell like a ragdoll being torn into two different directions, I feel that my little house/suburb is my home, I am comfortable living here and cannot ever imagine moving back to the UK.

Yet my heart aches for those I cannot go to see. And this 'tug of war' business, well it isnt nice.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:27 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Its my neices 18th birthday party today and my other neices 13th birthday. All the family will be there except for me and my other sister who lives abroad.

Today I am seriously feeling the ache of not being there, for not being there for one of my best friends who is about to go through Chemo for breast cancer.

I fell like a ragdoll being torn into two different directions, I feel that my little house/suburb is my home, I am comfortable living here and cannot ever imagine moving back to the UK.

Yet my heart aches for those I cannot go to see. And this 'tug of war' business, well it isnt nice.
You are so right - my Mum has been the closest to visiting for the 1st time in 5 years. This is the 1st time she has discussed flights and wether she needs to bring towels. She has been yellow (jaundiced) for a month now and only confessed on Friday, she can usually 'fix' herself after a couple of days. She is off to see her surgeon and is taking an overnight bag, she is sure she is in for another 'op', something she doesn't want to do again, so it's doubtfull in my mind that she will be here for the summer. Now do I go back for her op or stay here? Last time she told me it was an explorative op and they had to bring her back twice. Bugger
Old Jun 6th 2010, 3:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry PP, yes it's really awful with the parties. My sister in law just had her 50th on Saturday night it was a big fancy dress bash, she had already sent out the invites back in March so I got mine just before I left, I just looked at some of the pics today and I have a big lump in my throat and an ache in my heart,all the family and friends are there except me and my kids and grand-kids over here, even her sister, hubby and 2 kids turned up from Perth as a surprise.

Hope your freind gets better real soon, all prayers and good wishes being sent across the miles to her.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 6th 2010 at 3:21 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 3:26 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
So sorry PP, yes it's really awful with the parties. My sister in law just had her 50th on Saturday night it was a big fancy dress bash, she had already sent out the invites back in March so I got mine just before I left, I just looked at some of the pics today and I have a big lump in my throat and an ache in my heart,all the family and friends are there except me and my kids and grand-kids over here, even her sister, hubby and 2 kids turned up from Perth as a surprise.

Hope your freind gets better real soon, all prayers and good wishes being sent across the miles to her.
I always get upset when I see photos, I am waiting for my neices birthday photos to appear and it will be a case of 'when did you change so much/get old/mature/get that haircut?'

We just dont have the money to go at all and Mr PP isnt allowed to fly at the moment anyway.

My friend was told on Friday that they had got all the cancer from her breast and lymph nodes. They even said she doesnt have to have chemo if she doesnt want it But she is going to have it anyway.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

This whole thread has got me in tears and made me realise even more that we have got to go home to UK.

Jordana09 thank you for helping me realise how family feel. My family never tell me anything like that for fear of upsetting things.

Professional Princess wow everything you said is so true.

We came to New Zealand with a new born baby girl (immigration process started as I got pregnant) with the idea in our heads that we could do it, we could bring up our daughter in a new country and she would be fine, she wouldnt know any different so she wouldnt 'miss' her grandparents and aunties and extended family. Well now she is 1yr old and starting to be more of a child than a baby, soon she will be talking and interacting even more, now seems to be the most important time when she should have family around her. The first year that family have missed out on I can almost get over, as she was just a baby. But now it makes me realise I want her to be able to go to nanna & grandads for the day, I want her to play with her cousins. I want her godparents to be there for her as they see her as a grand child not just a god child.

Ok so the UK is not perfect. It may be a rough ride ahead in the UK. My husband may not get his old job back. BUT i am trying to think positive, he can surely find a job doing something no matter what it is. All I am bothered about is being back where we belong so our daughter can grow up happier.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keeny
This whole thread has got me in tears and made me realise even more that we have got to go home to UK.

Jordana09 thank you for helping me realise how family feel. My family never tell me anything like that for fear of upsetting things.

Professional Princess wow everything you said is so true.

We came to New Zealand with a new born baby girl (immigration process started as I got pregnant) with the idea in our heads that we could do it, we could bring up our daughter in a new country and she would be fine, she wouldnt know any different so she wouldnt 'miss' her grandparents and aunties and extended family. Well now she is 1yr old and starting to be more of a child than a baby, soon she will be talking and interacting even more, now seems to be the most important time when she should have family around her. The first year that family have missed out on I can almost get over, as she was just a baby. But now it makes me realise I want her to be able to go to nanna & grandads for the day, I want her to play with her cousins. I want her godparents to be there for her as they see her as a grand child not just a god child.

Ok so the UK is not perfect. It may be a rough ride ahead in the UK. My husband may not get his old job back. BUT i am trying to think positive, he can surely find a job doing something no matter what it is. All I am bothered about is being back where we belong so our daughter can grow up happier.
Your daughter won't necessarily be happier, although it is clear you will and that is what is important. A child growing up without grandparents is, in my opinion and experience, not worse off than those who see the regularly. In fact what I noticed about my own kids and their grandparents during a recent trip back is that the relationship was absolutely no different to that of their cousins/grandparents. No difference whatsoever. I make an effort with communication and as a result they have a fantastic relationship.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a subtle difference between those kids who grow up in an extended family environment and those which dont. Both of my boys, in adulthood, have commented on their perception of the isolation and insularity "we" (the 4 of us) have as a family and compare that with their partners, both of whom have monster extended families (one has a genogram of about 17 pages). The younger one was really happy to go and visit his (small) UK family and take his partner because he feels really overwhelmed by all her mob - I think he wanted to show her that he had family too. The older one now lives in UK and enjoys the extended family connections and bases himself with his grandparents (well, stores a lot of stuff in their loft)

Both my lads are very self contained and self sufficient - bit like the DH and I really. I dont know that that is very healthy though.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough

Speaking as someone who has left her Dad, brother, sisters, neices, nephews I can give you a small insight as to what it is like.

You see many of us that have emigrated are torn, we are torn between loving our new life and enjoying what we have done and missing our loved ones in the UK.

I wake up with a heavy heart most days realising that it is over 2 years since I last saw my Dad/family/friends.

I want to go back to visit but we cant afford it, even if we could I am too scared to leave my husband due to him being in a car crash last year - so even if you put the money on the table to get me a ticket, I couldnt leave him - I am not ready and he is not allowed to fly.

So in between enjoying my life in Perth, my Dad calls me every day except Saturdays, if he is late calling me I worry, if I am out - he worries and our phonecalls are repetitive yet essential to the sanity of both of us.

I last saw my Dad when I hugged him goodbye at the Underground, leaving in a drug induced calmness that the doctor had 'prescribed' as I wasnt sleeping. It haunts me that the last image of my Dad is the one of me hugging him and feeling exhausted, empty and numb. And then by the time the tears came, I was in my flat for the last night before I flew out so couldnt see him to do a proper goodbye - I sobbed for over 2 hours.

Each time we see our loved ones on facebook we get upset that there are new pictures detailing how our loved ones have changed - fatter/thinner/older - when did they change without me noticing?, new babies are born, we dont see them or hold them and gradually the new family photos do not contain us, we are not part of the album.

Good news is relished in - with everyone except us, as we are not there to relish in it. I wanted to so badly to hug my neice when she passed her driving test, I had been supporting her on facebook and facebook is how I found out due to the time difference.

We miss funerals because we cant get the funds or the time off work, we miss the parties and the gatherings, the banter and the hugs and the general family 'politics' and gossip that comes with being part of it.

Then when we finally do get a loved one to visit (wanted guest and not gatecrasher) - our heart pounds at the arrival doors at the airport, we get emotional when we see the sign 'landed' and then we cry when they come through.

The time spent with them is as though we have never been apart, we slot back in like a comfy shoe.

Then when we say goodbye and the last we see of them is the sliding doors closing as they disappear, we break our hearts like the day we left them in the UK.

We develop and acquire new things, achieve new stuff, get hurt, get sick and get better, start new jobs - just like we did in the UK, except we do it in a different country and you are not there to share in it just like we are not there to share in your news either.

So when you see/read/hear of your family enjoying their new lives, please please please do not think they dont love you, that they dont battle with the constant internal fight of knowing that they belong in their new country and cannot imagine living anywhere else, and realising just what they have given up in order to do it.

Perth is my home, my family are in England, I dont want to live in England - I like it here, I want it all and I cant have it and that is a pain you cannot do anything about nor take anything for.

Your family loves you, they moved to make a different/better life for themselves but distance does not dilute how much they love and miss you. They just cant tell you it constantly as it will upset both them and you.

Fantastic post ,so well written .You have me in tears !!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Computer, internet and webcams come to mind, at least you can see and hear them, not as good as being there, but better than just a phone call. We used that regularly when we were in Spain, and could at least watch grandkids, especially the youngest one as she grew, and she would dance and sing for us. One thing about using a webcam, ladies, please be sitting down, if you are standing and bend forward to type something, the camera has a wonderful view straight down your top, blouse, dressing gown etc.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Swirls
This is a very interesting thread. We are in the early stages of applying for PR in Canada (we sent the forms off and received them back in order to fill in more details of my husbands work experience!) Anyway, we haven't yet told my parents or the in-laws. I would be really interested to know how you all (as people on the 'other' side of this) feel about it. Should we be upfront about it now? We were initially going to wait until the 120 day email came through and then tell people that we were going but having read this thread I am now unsure. We were going to wait until we had definite (as far as that goes anyway!) news but would having more time to digest the news make it easier? I know that my parents are going to be devastated as their only grandchildren are our two girls with little hope of my sister having any.

And any advice on how to break the news gently would be much appreciated.

Swirls, I would start discussing it with your parents and in-laws sooner rather than later. The additional time for them to come to terms with your decision can only help.

In my own case I felt guilty about moving to Australia because my eldest brother was already here, so 2 out of 3 of my Dad's kids and 4 of the 6grandkids would be a long way away. After talking with my Dad, I then wrote him a letter where I could "say" some of the more emotional things that many of us grown men find difficult to say face to face.

The letter I received back from my Dad is one of my most treasured possessions and I have revisited it on occasion when things are not going so well at this end.

Whether or not your family are supportive, time to cry, argue, clarify, explain, plan, do it all again, and then hopefully to become reconciled, will ceratinly help.

Good luck.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

tdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the rough

Phew this thread is a heady emotional brew alright.

I don't have anything to add here that hasn't been said more wisely and eloquently by the other posters. I think I will point my sister towards this though as I know she wrestles with some of these feelings (and so do I).

Gareth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.