Reload this Page >

Experiences getting employment

Experiences getting employment

Old Jan 3rd 2019, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

pendledreams5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experiences getting employment

hello,
Quick question about others experiences getting jobs when returning to the UK. My husband is a British citizen, he has owned his own painting/ contracting business for 18 years here in the US. I’m American, and have my Masters degree in school counseling.
From what I have read, it will be pretty difficult for me to get employment to start. How about my husband?
(I know there is no crystal ball for this question! Lol)
thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2019, 12:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences getting employment

Is your husband planning to continue to be self-employed or work for someone else?
Old Jan 4th 2019, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Is your husband planning to continue to be self-employed or work for someone else?
Thanks for your response,

He would like to work for someone else

Old Jan 4th 2019, 12:40 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There are no guarantees of course but there are record levels of employment in the UK and the lowest unemployment rate for 40 years. My uncle runs his own construction/property development company and they are always looking for experienced painter/decorators. I think your husband will be fine.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks BIP! Does your uncle happen to live in the North West?
Next question, can he apply while still in the US or should he wait until he's in the UK?
Also, I wondering if he needed to obtain special qualifications/licenses to work as a painter/decorator in UK? He has a general contracting license here.
Thanks!
Old Jan 6th 2019, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

He will need to obtain a CSCS card to work on a construction site if he wants to work in that sector. This is a fairly basic test done on a computer at a test centre and is about general safety.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you verystormy for your response! Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, that is good to know he can complete that online
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by pendledreams5
Thanks BIP! Does your uncle happen to live in the North West?
Next question, can he apply while still in the US or should he wait until he's in the UK?
Also, I wondering if he needed to obtain special qualifications/licenses to work as a painter/decorator in UK? He has a general contracting license here.
Thanks!
Gloucestershire I'm afraid

Best to wait until he's in the UK. verystormy has given you a good tip.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Darn!! lol, thanks anyway BIP!

He is thinking about sending out his CV to test the waters and perhaps do some networking.
Any thoughts about an American trying to get employment? I've heard on the talk-uk-yankee forum that US citizens struggle to find employment (of course this is largely dependent on their industry).
Old Feb 5th 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by pendledreams5
Darn!! lol, thanks anyway BIP!

He is thinking about sending out his CV to test the waters and perhaps do some networking.
Any thoughts about an American trying to get employment? I've heard on the talk-uk-yankee forum that US citizens struggle to find employment (of course this is largely dependent on their industry).
Always worthwhile. I would agree that it will be very industry dependent. That being said if innumerable Poles and my cousin’s Canadian husband have no trouble finding work in the construction industry then I’m sure your husband will be fine.