Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Securing a UK secondary school place from overseas

Securing a UK secondary school place from overseas

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:48 am
Just Joined

cpassey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Securing a UK secondary school place from overseas

Hello everyone, we are moving from Dubai back to the UK (Cobham, Surrey) this summer after 11 years. We don't have a property and will need to rent. We have chosen Cobham in Surrey to be close to friends and it has several good state schools. How do we register/ secure a place for Year 8 Secondary while we still live abroad? The schools we have written to so far say we need a confirmed address before we can apply. Our DD is a British Passport holder.

If we move back in June, rent in July will schools be able to process an application over the summer holiday?

All help welcomed. I am going around in a circle now!

Last edited by cpassey; Feb 3rd 2019 at 8:51 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 2:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Securing a UK secondary school place from overseas

Originally Posted by cpassey
Hello everyone, we are moving from Dubai back to the UK (Cobham, Surrey) this summer after 11 years. We don't have a property and will need to rent. We have chosen Cobham in Surrey to be close to friends and it has several good state schools. How do we register/ secure a place for Year 8 Secondary while we still live abroad? The schools we have written to so far say we need a confirmed address before we can apply. Our DD is a British Passport holder.

If we move back in June, rent in July will schools be able to process an application over the summer holiday?

All help welcomed. I am going around in a circle now!
As the schools have said, you do need an address and rental agreement before the council will allocate you a place. It's not the schools that allocate places though, you have to apply to the local council, so don't worry about the summer hols getting in the way of the process.

You'll get given a place, but of course it may not be at your first choice of school (or even second or third) if the schools are oversubscribed. But you can go on a waiting list for your preferred school if you wish.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 3rd 2019 at 2:10 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I moved back with a Year 10 and Year 8 back in 2013. I would recommend speaking with your 1st choice secondary school now to make them aware and find out how they work with the local council in terms of communicating and giving authorisation to allocate places ahead of your move.

You will need to make your applications for places as soon as you have an address as the local council education department will process apps in order of receipt and even though the department is open over the summer, I found because of staff being on summer holidays, apps were not processed in a timely manner and I had to really push to have my children's apps authorised even though we had been back for 2 weeks and my children had already missed 3 days of the new school year.

I found there was a catch 22, the local council wouldn't authorise places until the school told them there was room, but the school would not offer a place until the local council told them that they could hence why I recommend understanding the process now and making all key contacts and making them away of your situation and timeline now.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Also, in terms of getting a jump start, I'd see if you can have someone this end view potential properties so that you can secure somewhere ahead as most rental properties may not be available right away - for example when you move back in June, rental properties being marketed will likely be available as from Aug/Sept so not right away and push you further back in terms of the que for places. Also, be prepared to pay 6 months rent upfront to secure a property and start contacting agents in April/May so you have the jump on properties coming available in July.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

pendledreams5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi cpassy,
We are in the same position, we having been calling schools for our 3 children. We have chosen schools that have space and were told by one that we can at least start the process from here (US) and once we have a confirmed address to finish the application process. Everyone we have talked to have been very helpful and have dealt with international situations like ours. I would try to get someone on the phone and speak directly to them instead of just writing, they may be able to give you more help over the phone. If you are concerned about international calls, we use Skype, they have very cheap plans for making calls! Best of luck, keep us posted!
Old Feb 5th 2019, 8:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pendledreams5
Hi cpassy,
We are in the same position, we having been calling schools for our 3 children. We have chosen schools that have space and were told by one that we can at least start the process from here (US) and once we have a confirmed address to finish the application process. Everyone we have talked to have been very helpful and have dealt with international situations like ours. I would try to get someone on the phone and speak directly to them instead of just writing, they may be able to give you more help over the phone. If you are concerned about international calls, we use Skype, they have very cheap plans for making calls! Best of luck, keep us posted!
Your situation is fairly rare though. It's unusual for a school do to its own admissions, only applies to certain schools i.e. private schools or free schools. All other 'normal' school places have to be applied for via the local council.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 5th 2019 at 8:19 am.