Excited but terrifed

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 9:56 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Excited but terrifed

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, for me, too. The places I mentioned would be ideal but jobs have to come first - and an easy way to get to the jobs. It's one of the reasons I am flexible, too
That's why I chose somewhere on within the 6 London travel zones. The public transport service is SO much better in the UK than it is here. My way of thinking, was if I could get somewhere that I can either catch the bus or the train then I can work anywhere. I did look at Shrewsbury, because its so pretty there, but there are no jobs unless I want to commute to Birmingham or Manchester every day.

But once I get there, then I'll have a better idea of what my options are and where I'm going to end up. Note to self.....get a BIG property so you can come over along with your cats and dogs...
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:01 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Strange you should mention jobs because I mentioned earlier to day in this thread -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789184

- that we need a thread for finding jobs so we are now discussing where it should go
I agree ! I think there are many people out there who have gone through what we are going through and if anyone has any suggestions as to what are the best web sites to post our CV's or the best ones in general to provide the best possible results for jobs. It's a daunting experience to have to begin again and the more information we have to arm ourselves from the beginning, the less stress and hair pulling we'll have... lol
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:07 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by Debbie-Antoinette
....Just saw your rent query, Windsong. IMO £500 - 600 a month for a share is way overpriced. I'm sorry if you said this already and I missed it, but which area/s are you looking at? If not Central London, you can easily pay less for a share, but still of course depending on your full requirements (e.g. If bills are included in the rent).
I have a budget of £500 per month and as you've mentioned in another post on this thread, it's often hard to get a place of your own because you don't have enough UK history and some if not all landlords want you pay at least 6 months rent up front. Luckily my house share is £400 per month, all inclusive and full run of the house. Everything from electricity, internet, phone, television, council tax, water etc etc is covered and as with some house shares I'm not sharing with a whole house full of people. There will be just me and one other. Plus it's only 30-40 minutes from Central London.
I'm sure there are cheaper shares out there, and I've seen so many, but have been put off by the shear number of people sharing one house...LOL
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I have a budget of £500 per month and as you've mentioned in another post on this thread, it's often hard to get a place of your own because you don't have enough UK history and some if not all landlords want you pay at least 6 months rent up front. Luckily my house share is £400 per month, all inclusive and full run of the house. Everything from electricity, internet, phone, television, council tax, water etc etc is covered and as with some house shares I'm not sharing with a whole house full of people. There will be just me and one other. Plus it's only 30-40 minutes from Central London.
I'm sure there are cheaper shares out there, and I've seen so many, but have been put off by the shear number of people sharing one house...LOL
Quite honestly, I don't know what is a reasonable amount to pay for and I don't know what I can afford because I still have lots of research to do on the cost of living, etc. Like you, I don't want to share with a houseload of people and, in particular, I want whoever I share with to like my pets, too You can see one of my pets in my profile image. A 7 lb Maltese. He is adorable

I think, in addition to a Finding a Job thread, it would be great to have a cost of living thread, too.

PS - I agree about living somewhere on a direct route to the job!!

Last edited by windsong; Mar 3rd 2013 at 10:14 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:18 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Quite honestly, I don't know what is a reasonable amount to pay for and I don't know what I can afford because I still have lots of research to do on the cost of living, etc. Like you, I don't want to share with a houseload of people and, in particular, I want whoever I share with to like my pets, too You can see one of my pets in my profile image. A 7 lb Maltese. He is adorable )

I think, in addition to a Finding a Job thread, it would be great to have a cost of living thread, too.

PS - I agree about living somewhere on a direct route to the job!!

Your Maltese is adorable! I got back from a holiday in the UK this past December, and since then I've been on the computer every day looking at how much it all costs. When I was there I ate very well on £80 every two weeks! But living one your own you have to take into consideration rent, council tax, water, electricity and/or gas, transport, Internet, Telephone, Television AND television license and luxuries.

I read on one 'cost of living' web site (sorry I can't remember which) it stated that on average you can survive on £175.00 per week not counting rent. That, and my limited budget on first arriving back in the UK, is what made me decide to do a house share. It gives me the chance to find a job and have all my expenses covered in the rent, so the only thing I have to cover are my food, luxuries and a pre-paid service for my mobile/cell phone.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Debbie-Antoinette is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Debbie...one thing I would like to pick your brain about is the job situation. You mentioned you were able to secure one before you moved and I'm wondering how you did that? Did you go to certain web sites etc?

I had thought about trying that myself, but then I found that some employers want someone to start immediately (which I wouldn't be able to do), plus I have to explain to each employer that even though I am currently in the US, I am a British Subject, have a UK passport so I can live and work in the UK. It just seemed easier to me (rightly or wrongly) that I would get better results if i did it all from the UK, where I can go face to face with employers and sell myself LOL
Hi Who. Everything you've experienced on the job front was my exact same experience. I found myself obsessively including "British citizen, born in UK, 'returning' to UK..." in everything (CV, cover letters, random enquiries). To no avail. I got the impression that employers just tend to 'trust' applicants that are already UK based. No matter how available you make yourself for a potential UK based interview.

As a single parent (my daughter's father recently passed away) I wasn't in a position to give up work to travel back to UK in the hopes that I would find a job that paid at least what I was earning at the time. So I was a bit stuck. However, a previous business contact of my dad got wind of my job hunting and it just so happened that she was looking for a psychologist for her business (which is what I do). I jumped at the offer and consider myself very very fortunate in that regard.

Two of my fellow expat friends also returned to the UK last year. Both returned to London (I'm in Bedfordshire). One resigned and moved back without a job. She's a journalist but ended up temping (admin) for a few months until she found a freelance position at Sky, which she loves. The other was able to transfer from the Barbados to London office of the company she worked for. She's since resigned but found work that she prefers. None of us regrets having moved back.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:25 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by Debbie-Antoinette
Hi Who. Everything you've experienced on the job front was my exact same experience. I found myself obsessively including "British citizen, born in UK, 'returning' to UK..." in everything (CV, cover letters, random enquiries). To no avail. I got the impression that employers just tend to 'trust' applicants that are already UK based. No matter how available you make yourself for a potential UK based interview.

As a single parent (my daughter's father recently passed away) I wasn't in a position to give up work to travel back to UK in the hopes that I would find a job that paid at least what I was earning at the time. So I was a bit stuck. However, a previous business contact of my dad got wind of my job hunting and it just so happened that she was looking for a psychologist for her business (which is what I do). I jumped at the offer and consider myself very very fortunate in that regard.

Two of my fellow expat friends also returned to the UK last year. Both returned to London (I'm in Bedfordshire). One resigned and moved back without a job. She's a journalist but ended up temping (admin) for a few months until she found a freelance position at Sky, which she loves. The other was able to transfer from the Barbados to London office of the company she worked for. She's since resigned but found work that she prefers. None of us regrets having moved back.
Wow, now if only I knew someone, who knows someone who has a job..lol. I'm pretty sure there are enough jobs in the medical industry that I can apply for. First I will look at all the temp agencies, because if I can at least get my foot in the door, there is always the opportunity of it becoming permanent.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Your Maltese is adorable! I got back from a holiday in the UK this past December, and since then I've been on the computer every day looking at how much it all costs. When I was there I ate very well on £80 every two weeks! But living one your own you have to take into consideration rent, council tax, water, electricity and/or gas, transport, Internet, Telephone, Television AND television license and luxuries.

I read on one 'cost of living' web site (sorry I can't remember which) it stated that on average you can survive on £175.00 per week not counting rent. That, and my limited budget on first arriving back in the UK, is what made me decide to do a house share. It gives me the chance to find a job and have all my expenses covered in the rent, so the only thing I have to cover are my food, luxuries and a pre-paid service for my mobile/cell phone.
We need to find husbands lol!

I am just teasing
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:27 pm
Yorkshire Lass

We need to find husbands lol!
Well I lost my husband not too long ago...so I think I will wait a while before looking...lol

But if you find a multi-millionaire with a brother let me know...lol

Last edited by WhoFan63; Mar 3rd 2013 at 10:31 pm. Reason: addition
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I lost my husband not too long ago...so I think I will wait a while before looking...lol

But if you find a multi-millionaire with a brother let me know...lol
I am so sorry!! And now you are embarking on another huge change in your life but this move, I am sure, will be terrific move for you! It's a brand new start back home

And if I do find one of those, I will certainly let you know
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:41 pm
Yorkshire Lass

I am so sorry!! And now you are embarking on another huge change in your life but this move, I am sure, will be terrific move for you! It's a brand new start back home

And if I do find one of those, I will certainly let you know

Thank you! Losing 6 people in the space of 2 years was hard, so I've come to the realization that life is too short to have regrets. I don't want to wast my time with 'what if's'
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:23 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone...I'm just going to rant...so I apologise ahead of time...LOL

As a 49 year old widowed female, about to make a HUGE move to head back to the UK after living in Australia and the USA, I'm understandably terrified. Not because I think I'm making the wrong decision - far from it. This is possibly the best decision I have made in a long time. I'm more concerned that it won't work and I'll end up having to come back to the US..lol.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the US, so please don't think that. I've loved my time here, but since my husband passed away it just doesn't feel like home anymore, and especially more so since I went back to the UK for a holiday last year. At the airport ready to fly back to the US I was so upset and didn't want to get on the plane. Which is what made me decide to head 'home' to the UK. Plus Australia has never felt like home which is why I wouldn't go back there either.

Plus I have found from my time in both Australia and the US that I am definitely a 'cooler' climate sort of person..lol. The Arizona heat is killing me, and I was definitely healthier and fitter while in the UK, even for that brief amount of time. I don't whether it's the altitude or just the climate in the UK, but my skin was healthier, I had more energy and I didn't have as many headaches as I've had since I moved to the US. Which was all proven by the fact I could leave my holiday let and spend 6 hours just walking around..LOL

The hardest part is my age I think. I will be competing with all these young ones all vying for the same job. Thanks to loosing my job here in the US just before I went on my holiday last year, I've not been able to get another job. That's mostly due to the fact there are no jobs in my area, I don't have a car and without one it's impossible to get anywhere, especially as the local transportation system sucks. I'd have to walk an hour to catch a bus, and what would take normally just 30 minutes by car to get into town, takes 2.5hrs by bus.

I won't be able to rent a place on my own for at least a year, because I don't have a work or credit history in the UK, and won't have enough funds to simply pay 6 months rent in advance to a landlord. So I've organized a house share until I can get myself settled. I've chosen an area which I liked and one which has great transportation links (actually Zone 5 of the London underground/train service) I don't mind buses or trains or long commute times so travelling an hour to get to work doesn't bother me, although the cost might after a while..lol. I've actually decided to go back to the same area where I stayed on my holidays last year, because I really loved the area...great shops...great parks for those nice long walks etc.

Plus the reason I chose the area itself, rather than go totally out of London to somewhere North or South, is because of the job situation. Rightly or wrongly I'm presuming there would be more jobs available that are in my job skill range. I've been in the medical industry all of my life, as Unit Secretary at hospitals, medical receptionist, data entry etc, so by registering with a temp agency or two and trying really hard to network myself I hope it won't be too long before I'm once again getting an income and being a productive member of society so to speak. I'm open enough to going anywhere for a job and I think that will help.

So all I am waiting for right now is my new UK passport to arrive and I'm all set !

So I am terrified...lol. But excited ! I've tried desperately to get a job here, in order to supplement the funds I'm taking back to the UK, but no luck, and the longer I stay the more I am using up my savings. Luckily I am staying with friends right now or else I would be in a right pickle..lol.

Ok, rant over with.. If anyone has any words of wisdom or support they would be gratefully received....lol
Hello, really enjoyed reading your post! I was interested in what you had to say re your health as both myself and my Pommy friends here are all exactly the same!

People keep saying to me oh you'll miss the sunshine and I guess I will but the relentless heat and humidity drives me potty! Since I've been here I've put on two stone, I get palpitations at night (stress!), constant headaches and I am so tired ALL THE TIME. My best friend has put on heaps of weight too, she now has cardiac arrhythmias and had to have a recent knee op which was put down to her weight. Some of my other friends, inc a super fit ex military guy, have all had various health problems - we joke this country literally makes us sick!!! I suppose you could put it down to age but last time I was home for a month I felt great, I just loved being able to walk everywhere

You sound very brave, determined and well organised so I wouldn't worry about the age thing. I'm heading home in 12 weeks and I am 46, there are a lot of us on here in the same boat! Good luck, hope everything works out for you
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:39 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hello, really enjoyed reading your post! I was interested in what you had to say re your health as both myself and my Pommy friends here are all exactly the same!

People keep saying to me oh you'll miss the sunshine and I guess I will but the relentless heat and humidity drives me potty! Since I've been here I've put on two stone, I get palpitations at night (stress!), constant headaches and I am so tired ALL THE TIME. My best friend has put on heaps of weight too, she now has cardiac arrhythmias and had to have a recent knee op which was put down to her weight. Some of my other friends, inc a super fit ex military guy, have all had various health problems - we joke this country literally makes us sick!!! I suppose you could put it down to age but last time I was home for a month I felt great, I just loved being able to walk everywhere

You sound very brave, determined and well organised so I wouldn't worry about the age thing. I'm heading home in 12 weeks and I am 46, there are a lot of us on here in the same boat! Good luck, hope everything works out for you
Thanks MissBetty . I forgot to add weight gain to my list of symptoms lol. I think when we all get back to the UK we should meet up for a drink and confirm how healthy we are all feeling lol
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Yes! Im 47 and heading back in two weeks!! I feel like Im in a spin drier!!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:48 am
Just Joined

kat589 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi WF, I am also 49 this year and going back hopefully in a month if not sooner after being away for 10 years in Australia and NZ. I will be on my own as my husband and younger son will stay in NZ as we are separated.

It is scary and I am lucky as I have my parents help, but I know its better than staying and putting on even more weight and no friends of any substance etc. I know I will miss the weather and the beach we live next to but I need to feel I am at home and not waiting for something all the time that never comes. I miss chatting to Brits and having a proper conversation etc.

Its a shame all of us going back dont have a way of meeting up etc regularly as I think once you have been away, its different when you go back again. People who have never left the UK dont know what we have been though etc.

I am sure you will be fine as you have made plans etc. Enjoy your time in the US now that you know you are going!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.