Reload this Page >

Exchanging Old Paper Drivers License for new one

Exchanging Old Paper Drivers License for new one

Old Jul 5th 2019, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

shokwaverider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchanging Old Paper Drivers License for new one

Hi all:
A little history, been lurking here but not active, registered today to ask this question.

I am a UK Citizen as well as Canadian and USA, MY Dear Wife (DW) is Canadian and USA. we have lived in Canada and the USA for over 35 years. We have been retired for about 10 years. We have been contemplating moving back to the UK but have resisted because of the complications of the spousal visa for DW. We have been married and cohabiting for 31 years we are in our 60's. We can afford nice home in the Southwest or Southeast away from the smoke. I am a Londoner and do not wish to be anywhere near there anymore.

My most pressing question is I still have my old paper license that is still somewhat valid (other than address) as I took it with me when I left, I know one is supposed to tell them when one changes address, but I did not FF 35 years, it does not run out till I am 70. The question is do I have to take another driving test or can I exchange it when/if I return and establish an address in the UK?

Thanks for all the great info.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Exchanging Old Paper Drivers License for new one

you will have to complete the form for the photo card part of the license too.

As you have never had a photo card you will need to apply for a new photo card.

This has to done by completing the D1 form, you will need to provided either you UK passport number or other ID documents to get a new photo card.

I have just sent off for mine via my sister in the UK.

The fee from memory for a new card is 20GBP
Old Jul 5th 2019, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Beraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shokwaverider
Hi all:
A little history, been lurking here but not active, registered today to ask this question.

I am a UK Citizen as well as Canadian and USA, MY Dear Wife (DW) is Canadian and USA. we have lived in Canada and the USA for over 35 years. We have been retired for about 10 years. We have been contemplating moving back to the UK but have resisted because of the complications of the spousal visa for DW. We have been married and cohabiting for 31 years we are in our 60's. We can afford nice home in the Southwest or Southeast away from the smoke. I am a Londoner and do not wish to be anywhere near there anymore.

My most pressing question is I still have my old paper license that is still somewhat valid (other than address) as I took it with me when I left, I know one is supposed to tell them when one changes address, but I did not FF 35 years, it does not run out till I am 70. The question is do I have to take another driving test or can I exchange it when/if I return and establish an address in the UK?

Thanks for all the great info.
I recently repatriated after 24 years in US. Had my old pink paper license and exchanged it with no problems. Provided new address and a photo all completed online and new photo ID license issued.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beraider
I recently repatriated after 24 years in US. Had my old pink paper license and exchanged it with no problems. Provided new address and a photo all completed online and new photo ID license issued.
My wife and I did the same thing after 29 years living in the USA. No problem at all exchanging the old paper one with the old address from 29 years ago with a new picture id. We are also in our 60s.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

shokwaverider is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, but I think mine is Green, not pink.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 9:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shokwaverider
Thanks, but I think mine is Green, not pink.
Makes no difference. Just pick up Form D1 from the Post Office.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fastrhino
you will have to complete the form for the photo card part of the license too.

As you have never had a photo card you will need to apply for a new photo card.

This has to done by completing the D1 form, you will need to provided either you UK passport number or other ID documents to get a new photo card.

I have just sent off for mine via my sister in the UK.

The fee from memory for a new card is 20GBP
Don't you need to be resident in UK to hold a British license? I understood there is a hefty fine for using your sister's address.

Last edited by Thairetired2016; Jul 7th 2019 at 5:53 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Don't you need to be resident in UK to hold a British license? I understood there is a hefty fine for using your sister's address.
That is my understanding. When my son was moving back and going to be staying with us we looked at applying ahead of time but you have to state that you are resident in the UK so he waited until he actually was rather than fibbing.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 6:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Other than being illegal it’s also a waste of time unless fastrhino intends to live with their sister as the licence will need updating with their new address anyway.