British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Exchanging Old Paper Drivers License for new one (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/exchanging-old-paper-drivers-license-new-one-926238/)

shokwaverider Jul 5th 2019 12:52 pm

Exchanging Old Paper Drivers License for new one

Hi all:
A little history, been lurking here but not active, registered today to ask this question.

I am a UK Citizen as well as Canadian and USA, MY Dear Wife (DW) is Canadian and USA. we have lived in Canada and the USA for over 35 years. We have been retired for about 10 years. We have been contemplating moving back to the UK but have resisted because of the complications of the spousal visa for DW. We have been married and cohabiting for 31 years we are in our 60's. We can afford nice home in the Southwest or Southeast away from the smoke. I am a Londoner and do not wish to be anywhere near there anymore.

My most pressing question is I still have my old paper license that is still somewhat valid (other than address) as I took it with me when I left, I know one is supposed to tell them when one changes address, but I did not FF 35 years, it does not run out till I am 70. The question is do I have to take another driving test or can I exchange it when/if I return and establish an address in the UK?

Thanks for all the great info.

fastrhino Jul 5th 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Exchanging Old Paper Drivers License for new one

you will have to complete the form for the photo card part of the license too.

As you have never had a photo card you will need to apply for a new photo card.

This has to done by completing the D1 form, you will need to provided either you UK passport number or other ID documents to get a new photo card.

I have just sent off for mine via my sister in the UK.

The fee from memory for a new card is 20GBP

Beraider Jul 5th 2019 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by shokwaverider (Post 12707047)
Hi all:
A little history, been lurking here but not active, registered today to ask this question.

I am a UK Citizen as well as Canadian and USA, MY Dear Wife (DW) is Canadian and USA. we have lived in Canada and the USA for over 35 years. We have been retired for about 10 years. We have been contemplating moving back to the UK but have resisted because of the complications of the spousal visa for DW. We have been married and cohabiting for 31 years we are in our 60's. We can afford nice home in the Southwest or Southeast away from the smoke. I am a Londoner and do not wish to be anywhere near there anymore.

My most pressing question is I still have my old paper license that is still somewhat valid (other than address) as I took it with me when I left, I know one is supposed to tell them when one changes address, but I did not FF 35 years, it does not run out till I am 70. The question is do I have to take another driving test or can I exchange it when/if I return and establish an address in the UK?

Thanks for all the great info.

I recently repatriated after 24 years in US. Had my old pink paper license and exchanged it with no problems. Provided new address and a photo all completed online and new photo ID license issued.

durham_lad Jul 5th 2019 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Beraider (Post 12707091)
I recently repatriated after 24 years in US. Had my old pink paper license and exchanged it with no problems. Provided new address and a photo all completed online and new photo ID license issued.

My wife and I did the same thing after 29 years living in the USA. No problem at all exchanging the old paper one with the old address from 29 years ago with a new picture id. We are also in our 60s.

shokwaverider Jul 5th 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks, but I think mine is Green, not pink.

BritInParis Jul 5th 2019 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by shokwaverider (Post 12707223)
Thanks, but I think mine is Green, not pink.

Makes no difference. Just pick up Form D1 from the Post Office.

Thairetired2016 Jul 7th 2019 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by fastrhino (Post 12707050)
you will have to complete the form for the photo card part of the license too.

As you have never had a photo card you will need to apply for a new photo card.

This has to done by completing the D1 form, you will need to provided either you UK passport number or other ID documents to get a new photo card.

I have just sent off for mine via my sister in the UK.

The fee from memory for a new card is 20GBP

Don't you need to be resident in UK to hold a British license? I understood there is a hefty fine for using your sister's address.

durham_lad Jul 7th 2019 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12707709)
Don't you need to be resident in UK to hold a British license? I understood there is a hefty fine for using your sister's address.

That is my understanding. When my son was moving back and going to be staying with us we looked at applying ahead of time but you have to state that you are resident in the UK so he waited until he actually was rather than fibbing.

BritInParis Jul 7th 2019 6:19 pm

Other than being illegal it’s also a waste of time unless fastrhino intends to live with their sister as the licence will need updating with their new address anyway.