Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Electrical conversion US to U.K

Electrical conversion US to U.K

Old Oct 16th 2004, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

pureambient is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical conversion US to U.K

Hello, I have been reading the posts and finding lots of useful information. My husband and I are looking to return to the U.K. after 18 years in the States. We have been researching re: the difference in power between the U.K. and the U.S.

It's difficult to determine from this end what the cheapest and easiest way is. If anyone can shed light on this we would really appreciate it.

The situtation is that we have musical instruments, rack mounted equipment and several computers - and of course we are going to bring them over to the U.K., along with various stereo, etc. devices.

So what we envision is running the household on dual power : use the existing 240 Volt 50 Hertz for most appliances, which we would purchase in the U.K.

But what this also entails is that we would need several rooms that offer 100 Volt 50/60 Hertz power.

1) Is it possible to have an electrical contractor come into a typical 3 bedroom English house, and actually wire in 120V 50/60 Hertz service to several rooms in the house?

2) Would it be cheaper or easier just to purchase good quality power converters and use those instead??? I assume they would be very simple and easy to set up on your own.

3) The biggest concern is for the delicate electronics, for those items (perhaps two rooms worth?) we would absolutely require 120 Volt 50/60 Hertz, i.e. we would need to convert both the voltage AND the frequency for those sensitive devices.

I assume that many of our 120 Volt items would work fine on a converted 120 Volt 50 Hertz - but it might be most prudent to convert BOTH voltage and frequency just to be safe.

Any suggestions, any names of contractors that anyone knows can do this type of work (Edinburgh or Glasgow area) - anyone who has experienced this challenge - your feedback and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks !
Old Oct 16th 2004, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Electrical conversion US to U.K

Hi there,

It's certainly possible to wire a dual system, and as an electronics engineer with many items of American test equipment I run 120V apparatus here regularly.

Converting voltage is the easy part, done with a suitable transformer and appropriate connections. Converting the supply frequency, however, is much more difficult and much more expensive. The only really viable option for home use is an electronic converter, and costs rise very rapidly with the required power level.

Whether you need to convert the frequency though is another matter. Almost all modern computers and audio-video equipment is designed to run quite happily on either 50 or 60Hz power. You don't say exactly what sort of musical equipment you have, but the only things where the supply frequency is likely to be a problem is for the motors in older-style record turntables and tape decks where the motor speed is synchronized to the supply.

Is it possible to have an electrical contractor come into a typical 3 bedroom English house, and actually wire in 120V 50/60 Hertz service to several rooms in the house?
Certainly possible, although with what might be considered a somewhat "unusual" request you may have a hard time finding one willing to take on the job.

If you can locate somebody locally though, he could install a transformer in a convenient location and run 120V power to wherever it is needed in the house. The other good news is that a couple of U.K. electrical manufacturers actually sell U.S.-style 120V receptacles on British-type faceplates, so that they'll fit a standard British mounting box and blend in with the regular U.K. fittings. Labor costs are going to be sizable though.

Would it be cheaper or easier just to purchase good quality power converters and use those instead??? I assume they would be very simple and easy to set up on your own.
With more people importing equipment by mail or bringing consumer electronics products back from their vacations, simple plug-in transformers to convert U.K. power to 120V (at 50Hz) are quite widely available here these days. Have a look at this link for some examples:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...mer/index.html

One or two such units (even the big 3kVA ones) in each room where needed would undoubtedly be cheaper.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 9:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Electrical conversion US to U.K

You might be able to pick up some info from people who have already made the move 'across the pond' and possibly encountered the same dilemma here:

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk

I would expect after living in the US for 18 years you may well encounter 'reverse culture shock' for the first few months when returning to the UK! Why are you returning, if you don't mind my asking?
Old Oct 16th 2004, 10:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the puter, would be cheaper to just buy a new power supply in blighty, they can cost anywhere between £10-100 depending on the quality and power needed, but a half decent one for £30 should be fine, get them online and stick it in the case
www.overclockers.co.uk
plenty of other places out there too.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 12:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I would expect after living in the US for 18 years you may well encounter 'reverse culture shock' for the first few months when returning to the UK! Why are you returning, if you don't mind my asking?
Reverse culture shock is very common after such a period of time away. Many people subsequently want to return to the US, but unless they have US citizenship this is often easier said than done.

Green cards can be (and are) lost very easily once one has moved out of the US and getting US residency back is usually easier said than done.

Jeremy
Old Oct 17th 2004, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Regarding the puter, would be cheaper to just buy a new power supply in blighty, they can cost anywhere between £10-100 depending on the quality and power needed, but a half decent one for £30 should be fine, get them online and stick it in the case
www.overclockers.co.uk
We just returned.... Most computers have dual power... Ours did, there's a switch o the back..... We purchase the new cable with a UK plug for £10 and works great..... Could just use an adapter USto UK plug buy in Fry's electronics for around $5.....

It is possible to wire the house with dual power... Big and expensive job though... We have one dual power socket here... Landlord had it put in though, so not sure of the cost.....

I used to volunteer with son at a concert venue... They have transformers for travel purposes with multiple outlets... You could use one of those and get an electrician to wire in the industrial socket for you... For a music room perhaps...... Just an idea.....
Old Oct 17th 2004, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, the power supply on most modern PCs is switchable for 120 or 240V input, and the frequency difference is of no concern. Monitors are a little different though: Some are switchable, many are not, although some of the latest models will actually work on anything from about 90 to 250V with no adjustment!

Originally Posted by honeymommy
We purchase the new cable with a UK plug for £10
You were robbed! UK BS1363 - IEC leads are usually about £2 each.

Or if the original cord was rated for 250V (many are) you could have just chopped off the molded U.S. plug and fitted a British 13A plug instead.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
Yes, the power supply on most modern PCs is switchable for 120 or 240V input, and the frequency difference is of no concern. Monitors are a little different though: Some are switchable, many are not, although some of the latest models will actually work on anything from about 90 to 250V with no adjustment!

You were robbed! UK BS1363 - IEC leads are usually about £2 each.

Or if the original cord was rated for 250V (many are) you could have just chopped off the molded U.S. plug and fitted a British 13A plug instead.

Oops... Forgot the s on the end........ We have 3 computers and 2 laptops....
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Oops... Forgot the s on the end........ We have 3 computers and 2 laptops....
Ah.... That's more like it.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Well we cannot thank you ENOUGH for this excellent reply, it pretty much confirms what we had researched but it's nice to have confirmation "first hand" as it were - especially with regards to how well US devices (it would appear) work at 50 Hertz.

We know we were not real specific about what we have, but we can only think of a FEW items, not used much, reel to reel tape recorders, turntables, that would really need a frequency converter, and that could wait - we don't use those devices enough to warrant the expense of the frequency converters.

The link you provided was excellent, not only did it give me some good choices wattage-wise what is available but it also contained prices which are invaluable for our pre-move expense estimation process.

I used to work in an electronic calibration lab, so it's nice to meet someone who knows how to use test equipment !

Can't thank you ENOUGH for your EXTREMELY helpful reply !

dave and dawn

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
Hi there,

It's certainly possible to wire a dual system, and as an electronics engineer with many items of American test equipment I run 120V apparatus here regularly.

Converting voltage is the easy part, done with a suitable transformer and appropriate connections. Converting the supply frequency, however, is much more difficult and much more expensive. The only really viable option for home use is an electronic converter, and costs rise very rapidly with the required power level.

Whether you need to convert the frequency though is another matter. Almost all modern computers and audio-video equipment is designed to run quite happily on either 50 or 60Hz power. You don't say exactly what sort of musical equipment you have, but the only things where the supply frequency is likely to be a problem is for the motors in older-style record turntables and tape decks where the motor speed is synchronized to the supply.

Certainly possible, although with what might be considered a somewhat "unusual" request you may have a hard time finding one willing to take on the job.

If you can locate somebody locally though, he could install a transformer in a convenient location and run 120V power to wherever it is needed in the house. The other good news is that a couple of U.K. electrical manufacturers actually sell U.S.-style 120V receptacles on British-type faceplates, so that they'll fit a standard British mounting box and blend in with the regular U.K. fittings. Labor costs are going to be sizable though.

With more people importing equipment by mail or bringing consumer electronics products back from their vacations, simple plug-in transformers to convert U.K. power to 120V (at 50Hz) are quite widely available here these days. Have a look at this link for some examples:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...mer/index.html

One or two such units (even the big 3kVA ones) in each room where needed would undoubtedly be cheaper.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Hi Bob

While I appreciate this advice, what with moving an entire household halfway across the world and so on it's just too time consuming for me to replace 3 power supplies in three VERY different computers - not to mention all the other electronic devices I have.

Much easier to buy two or three 3000 watt generators and be done with it !!!

But I thank you most graciously for the thought...

If I only had the time.....

dave

Originally Posted by Bob
www.overclockers.co.uk
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:26 am
Just Joined

You dont KNOW culture shock until you move from California to New York City for six weeks at age 9 :-)

thx

d

Originally Posted by JAJ
Reverse culture shock is very common after such a period of time away. Many people subsequently want to return to the US, but unless they have US citizenship this is often easier said than done.

Green cards can be (and are) lost very easily once one has moved out of the US and getting US residency back is usually easier said than done.

Jeremy
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I think the answer is certainly DIY, get the generators I need - a LOT cheaper than rewiring the house. I would need maybe a couple of big ones and various small ones - will just work it into the moving budget !

Thanks very much for your suggestions !

dave & dawn

We just returned.... Most computers have dual power... Ours did, there's a switch o the back..... We purchase the new cable with a UK plug for £10 and works great..... Could just use an adapter USto UK plug buy in Fry's electronics for around $5.....

It is possible to wire the house with dual power... Big and expensive job though... We have one dual power socket here... Landlord had it put in though, so not sure of the cost.....

I used to volunteer with son at a concert venue... They have transformers for travel purposes with multiple outlets... You could use one of those and get an electrician to wire in the industrial socket for you... For a music room perhaps...... Just an idea.....
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the link - will check it out!

The stars seemed to have lined up now to make it a good time to move back. California is too expensive and crowded and we miss the British culture. (Have seen others comment on this too recently!) Also, must admit that working for the same co. for 12 years here with no prospect of ever getting more than 3 weeks holiday does not excite me!!

[QUOTE=Englishmum]You might be able to pick up some info from people who have already made the move 'across the pond' and possibly encountered the same dilemma here:

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk

I would expect after living in the US for 18 years you may well encounter 'reverse culture shock' for the first few months when returning to the UK! Why are you returning, if you don't mind my asking? [/QUOTE

Last edited by pureambient; Oct 18th 2004 at 12:41 am.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pureambient
Well we cannot thank you ENOUGH
My pleasure.

We know we were not real specific about what we have, but we can only think of a FEW items, not used much, reel to reel tape recorders, turntables, that would really need a frequency converter, and that could wait - we don't use those devices enough to warrant the expense of the frequency converters.
I didn't want to go into too much detail if it didn't apply to you, but as you have these I'll add a few more points.

Turntables mostly have two different types of motor drive. Some models from about the mid/late 1970s onward have a DC motor with servo speed control, and if they are selectable for 120 or 240V input may be O.K. on either 50 or 60Hz input, depending upon the design. The other, AC type motor is found on practically all older units and on many later ones built to the more traditional style. These are frequency dependent, so even if you change the voltage they will not run correctly on the wrong frequency.

You could get a frequency converter for these, and as the power level involved is very low it shouldn't be too expensive. (A crystal-controlled 60Hz source will actually give you better frequency/speed accuracy than the power coming off the grid.)

Another option is to change the pulley -- If you can get hold of a replacement. It was fairly common for domestic and export versions of some models to be made, and the factory simply fitted the appropriate pulley depending upon whether the unit was being shipped to a 50 or 60Hz country. It might we worth an inquiry to the manufacturer, you never know!

The AC motors in reel-to-reel tape decks tend to be much heftier, and more problematical to change. However, there are some models, particularly the later Japanese types, which can actually be changed from 60 to 50Hz quite easily (Japan has both frequencies within the country), so you may like to check the user guide carefully. I have a 1970s Akai deck which is selectable in this way. As with turntables, there a some designs with DC servo-controlled motors and these may well work on 50Hz without further ado.

I used to work in an electronic calibration lab, so it's nice to meet someone who knows how to use test equipment !
What sort of equipment did you calibrate?

Best wishes,
Paul.

Last edited by PBC_1966; Oct 18th 2004 at 7:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.