Earthquake in the UK

Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:44 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Earthquake in the UK

There was a 5.3 quake in the UK this morning. Epicentre 15 miles north of Lincoln.

All those brick buildings.
I'd be all over the house looking for structural damage.

Any news of aftershocks?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nquake527.xml

Last edited by Xebedee; Feb 27th 2008 at 9:50 am. Reason: duh, forgot a link.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:46 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake in the UK

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Any news of aftershocks?
there were none in Chicago.....
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

The whole house shook in Yorkshire, I thought it was a bomb, happy when found out it wasn't
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:19 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a 5.3 quake in the UK this morning. Epicentre 15 miles north of Lincoln.

All those brick buildings.
I'd be all over the house looking for structural damage.

Any news of aftershocks?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nquake527.xml
Yeah, it was virtually under my own ass! I'm sliding down the wall, leaving scratch marks! ...

----
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Its a sign!
There was a tornado in London last year (or very end of 06)

how long till a plague hits again?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:52 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Its a sign!
There was a tornado in London last year (or very end of 06)

how long till a plague hits again?
When the earth opens up in great chasms, and great and fearsome bat-winged creatures dart upwards from out of the underworld in their vast multitudes, shrieking and darkening the sky as they feast upon our mortal flesh and blood....

Could be fun ...

---
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:00 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
When the earth opens up in great chasms, and great and fearsome bat-winged creatures dart upwards from out of the underworld in their vast multitudes, shrieking and darkening the sky as they feast upon our mortal flesh and blood....
Could be fun ...
---
On the other hand, Labour might get in again.
With similar results.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:05 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Any news of aftershocks?
Only on BE -
general consensus people are shocked after the fact.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Only on BE -
general consensus people are shocked after the fact.
First time in a while that the earth moved for me in bed THAT much anyway hehe. It was really weird I have never experienced anything as noisy our bungalow shook badly and things moved I know how the salt feels now in the shaker.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

So funny seeing all the people fretting over the quake. It was MILD, nothing more and hearing people talking yesterday you think the world was ending.

Oh and if one more person blames earthquakes on global warming I swear I'm going to snap..... :curse:
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:19 am
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by AndyR
So funny seeing all the people fretting over the quake. It was MILD, nothing more and hearing people talking yesterday you think the world was ending.

Oh and if one more person blames earthquakes on global warming I swear I'm going to snap..... :curse:
I hardly think so... not to that extreme. But there was realistic concern and proven damage. I was in Market Rasen yesterday afternoon, the quake's epicenter. The emergency services where still noticeably visible.

Blaming earthquakes on global warming is a total myth, I agree. But some folk are easily spoon-fed on myths.

----
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britex01
I hardly think so... not to that extreme. But there was realistic concern and proven damage. I was in Market Rasen yesterday afternoon, the quake's epicenter. The emergency services where still noticeably visible.

Blaming earthquakes on global warming is a total myth, I agree. But some folk are easily spoon-fed on myths.

----
Was really funny though. I was woken by the rumble and just the shaking of the cupboards etc, this is in Northampton btw. Getting into work and people who like "my whole was shaking so bad my cupboards fell over!!!" Some people even bought photos in on there phones of pictures that had fell of the wall and were whittering on about being terrified the ground was going to crack

I got into a great argument with a collegue as well about why global warming DOES NOT cause earthquakes. The worrying thing was though the amount of people that agreed with them and said if the world wasn't getting warmer then the ground wouldn't expand more to cause the earthquakes...... hmmmm.....
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:20 pm
In yonder hills

Was really funny though. I was woken by the rumble and just the shaking of the cupboards etc, this is in Northampton btw. Getting into work and people who like "my whole was shaking so bad my cupboards fell over!!!" Some people even bought photos in on there phones of pictures that had fell of the wall and were whittering on about being terrified the ground was going to crack

I got into a great argument with a collegue as well about why global warming DOES NOT cause earthquakes. The worrying thing was though the amount of people that agreed with them and said if the world wasn't getting warmer then the ground wouldn't expand more to cause the earthquakes...... hmmmm.....
I think the comments about cupboards falling over in a vicinity so far north of the epicenter were, perhaps, mildly fabricated by drama queens! ...

Hell, my butt was virtually above the epicenter when the quake struck! The house shook like hell for about ten seconds, yet nothing crashed to the floor, which surprised me.

As regards the 'ground not expanding' bit, well, er, what can one say? ... ...

----
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Earthquake in UK = Panic
Earthquake in US = Media panic / people calm

Terror attack in UK = People calm, get on with life
Terror attack in US = Everybody panic! lets go to war, 300 million people will die if we dont nuke an oil producing country