Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

DVLA (Form D1) "What date did you come to live in the UK?"

DVLA (Form D1) "What date did you come to live in the UK?"

Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DVLA (Form D1) "What date did you come to live in the UK?"

I left the UK before the introduction of photocard driving licence. As a result, I only have a paper one.

When I return to the UK, I understand that I need to fill in the form D1 if I want to exchange the paper one to a photocard one. However, there is a question in the form: "What date did you come to live in the UK?" as well as some notes: "To apply for a GB driving licence, you must be normally resident in the UK for more than 185 days".

My question is: Do I need to wait for 185 days after I come back to UK to make the relevant application?

Please kindly share your experience if you have any.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVLA (Form D1) "What date did you come to live in the UK?"

Originally Posted by inggris
I left the UK before the introduction of photocard driving licence. As a result, I only have a paper one.

When I return to the UK, I understand that I need to fill in the form D1 if I want to exchange the paper one to a photocard one. However, there is a question in the form: "What date did you come to live in the UK?" as well as some notes: "To apply for a GB driving licence, you must be normally resident in the UK for more than 185 days".

My question is: Do I need to wait for 185 days after I come back to UK to make the relevant application?

If you have already passed your UK driving test, and have a paper license, then you just fill in the required form and send off the photos, there is no qualifying period for you, the qualifying period is for people moving, for the first time, to the UK. You are already a qualified driver withon the UK and the paper license is proof of that.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I will be in this position too. Is there no option on the form for those with paper licences?
Old Apr 19th 2016, 2:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
I will be in this position too. Is there no option on the form for those with paper licences?
Just get the form from the DVLA, previous poster says form D1, fill it in and send with the photos and fee and you should be OK, you already have the paper licence which shows you have passed the test and are qualified to drive.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 4:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Just get the form from the DVLA, previous poster says form D1, fill it in and send with the photos and fee and you should be OK, you already have the paper licence which shows you have passed the test and are qualified to drive.
Yes exactly. I left the UK in 1991 so just had the paper licence. The form is dead simple, there's no fee. Just photo and proof of identity and proof of residence needed. I had my photo card license back by return of post, last June I did it.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

So, did you just leave the question the OP asked about blank?
Old Apr 19th 2016, 6:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inggris

That requirement doesn't apply to British, EU or EEA citizens.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 2:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

TBH, I don't remember that question. I probably put in "May 4, 2015." I submitted the form maybe six weeks later.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 3:05 pm
Concierge

Post #2 states 'there is no qualifying period for you'.