Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Duvets - autumn/summer weight

Duvets - autumn/summer weight

Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duvets - autumn/summer weight

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
Thanks for the info. We may be in the Bournemouth area, Hampshire or Eastbourne. Not sure as yet, but it should be warmer on the south coast!

I will check out John Lewis and Waitrose which is part of them and some stores have linens,furnishing etc. Also will check out Argos and others.

Yes, I prefer the goose down I think rather than synthetic.
Thanks a lot folks.
The south coast is so lovely, but then so are most of the coast lines, I spent 15 years growing up on the coast in Hampshire, make sure you go to the Hamble ( its a river ) we used to have Lunch at the Bugle i think it was, and The New Forest, careful of the wild horses they haven't learnt the green cross code yet,
For a very unspoilt walk along the prom theres Lee on Solent and Hillhead
Dorset is lovely as well, hope you have a great time

cheers sue
Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. We may be in the Bournemouth area, Hampshire or Eastbourne. Not sure as yet, but it should be warmer on the south coast!

I will check out John Lewis and Waitrose which is part of them and some stores have linens,furnishing etc. Also will check out Argos and others.

Yes, I prefer the goose down I think rather than synthetic.
Thanks a lot folks.
If you are buying a down duvet you don't have to worry too much about the tog rating. Unlike synthetic fillers...down will keep you cool in summer and toasty in winter.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

Next winter we expect to be in UK for 6 months or so down on the south coast. On our visit in September we found that everybody has duvets as opposed to comforters in Canada/USA.

I recently read about the different type of duvets for weight. There is summer, autumn and the heavier one for winter. We will probably have to get a duvet and I am wondering whether to get an autumn weight or if summer weight would be too lightweight.

Also are they mostly the down type or is there synthetic filling. We prefer the down and what should I expect to pay for a King size (Queen over here)

Any opinions would be welcome.
Hi Pamela
I brought my duvets with me to Canada - bought from a department store in the UK, long before we came here. It's one with two layers which can be separated in summer, then clipped together (press studs on each corner) for winter. Much more effective here in Canada than I thought it would be. It's fibre filled - the down was more than my budget allowed. Have a look at www.argos.co.uk

Enjoy your stay...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:02 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beebop
http://www.johnlewis.com/Home+and+Ga...oductType.aspx

All sorts, all prices - look at the tog rating but in the end it's personal choice. I have two winter weight duvets all year round....
I actually do get my duvet covers from Argos. All the big supermarkets also do well priced duvets too. I have cupboards full as I like buying nice bedding so one of these days I will have to have a sort and chuck session.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:33 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beebop
I actually do get my duvet covers from Argos. All the big supermarkets also do well priced duvets too. I have cupboards full as I like buying nice bedding so one of these days I will have to have a sort and chuck session.
The cheapest duvet covers I ever bought in England were from Primark.. they were nice too..
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:48 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you Mrs. Meusil I will check that out when I get there.

We remember Argos from our visit last time. Thanks Beehop for the info. on covers and Annabella I will be able to take a good look at everything.