Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Duvets - autumn/summer weight

Duvets - autumn/summer weight

Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:24 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Duvets - autumn/summer weight

Next winter we expect to be in UK for 6 months or so down on the south coast. On our visit in September we found that everybody has duvets as opposed to comforters in Canada/USA.

I recently read about the different type of duvets for weight. There is summer, autumn and the heavier one for winter. We will probably have to get a duvet and I am wondering whether to get an autumn weight or if summer weight would be too lightweight.

Also are they mostly the down type or is there synthetic filling. We prefer the down and what should I expect to pay for a King size (Queen over here)

Any opinions would be welcome.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:46 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duvets - autumn/summer weight

What I have found in Florida is that a blanket on top of your usual bedding is often better. I have a comforter which is very thin, don't need it any thicker for 97% of the year, but last week, it was absolutely freezing at night. Rather than buy a thicker comforter, I used a blanket on top that I've had for about a year. It's microfiber, and I swear, I don't sleep as well at night without it as I do when it's on my bed. I never seem to get too hot and it's regulates my temperature perfectly. It's only big enough to cover one person so I use it on my couch for when I'm snuggling and watching TV, but I'm positive they would sell them in a lot of countries, and you can most likely get a larger size also. Probably be cheaper than buying a whole new duvet for 6 months of use.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:06 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for the reply. If I took that route I would have to ship it over and we have enough stuff to send as it is, so I would rather buy there and at the end of that time I can leave it with a relative for storage.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to butt in but I just wondered if anybody knows where you can get sheets in the UK to fit a North American King size bed? Seems even the UK super king size is smaller than our King size bed. Not exactly an earth shattering problem I know but just thought I'd ask
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
Next winter we expect to be in UK for 6 months or so down on the south coast. On our visit in September we found that everybody has duvets as opposed to comforters in Canada/USA.

I recently read about the different type of duvets for weight. There is summer, autumn and the heavier one for winter. We will probably have to get a duvet and I am wondering whether to get an autumn weight or if summer weight would be too lightweight.

Also are they mostly the down type or is there synthetic filling. We prefer the down and what should I expect to pay for a King size (Queen over here)

http://www.johnlewis.com/Home+and+Ga...oductType.aspx

All sorts, all prices - look at the tog rating but in the end it's personal choice. I have two winter weight duvets all year round....
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1

Hi. theres a new store opening 10th jan in Bournmouth don't now how far thats from where you are planning on staying,Dunelm they sell all sizes and weights prob best to get a quilt that clips together one is 4.5 and the other is 9.5 so combined make a winter weight 15. they are very cheap i use them on all our beds, i tend to go for goose down or the natural filling much nicer, if you want to store it here, Dunelm also do vac bags to condense the quilts for storage, hope that helps, There are Dunelm stores all over the country they sell discount bedding sheets and fab towels as well as lots of other house things.

sue
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:17 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Argos will be cheaper than John Lewis

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...=duvet&x=0&y=0

Where about in Canada are you? England probably won't be anywhere near as cold as where you are.. Its just wet all year round but fairly mild temperatures..
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Argos will be cheaper than John Lewis

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...=duvet&x=0&y=0

Where about in Canada are you? England probably won't be anywhere near as cold as where you are.. Its just wet all year round but fairly mild temperatures..
Its usually very nice in sept and warm last year was an exception, its warmer still in the south, i am originally from Hampshire on the coast there, lovely area, now in Cambs soon to be Canada,
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

SHEETS/COMFORTERS

UK Super King = USA King
UK King = USA Queen
UK Double =USA FULL
UK Single = USA Twin
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twigstar
SHEETS/COMFORTERS

UK Super King = USA King
UK King = USA Queen
UK Double =USA FULL
UK Single = USA Twin
When I moved to the US my UK single sheets were too small for a US twin.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When I moved to the US my UK single sheets were too small for a US twin.
This may be helpful as regards bed sizes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed#Standard_sizes

Looks like I better bring a good supply of King Size bed clothes with me when we move back. OH is very attached to our ridiculously large bed he likes to sleep as far away from me as possible it seems without actually going to another room!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elaine B.

Looks like I better bring a good supply of King Size bed clothes with me when we move back. OH is very attached to our ridiculously large bed he likes to sleep as far away from me as possible it seems without actually going to another room!
you can get them via the internet, there are several companies here that do made to measure, might be a bit more expensive though,
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.

A couple of inches in length or width can make all the difference when using fitted sheets.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:05 pm
Pamela 1

Thanks for the info. We may be in the Bournemouth area, Hampshire or Eastbourne. Not sure as yet, but it should be warmer on the south coast!

I will check out John Lewis and Waitrose which is part of them and some stores have linens,furnishing etc. Also will check out Argos and others.

Yes, I prefer the goose down I think rather than synthetic.
Thanks a lot folks.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:55 pm
Banned

Old Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to behold

Go to Tesco and get a bottle of Bells and 2 litres of cheap coke (each). Neck it and don't bother about the bedding.

If you are, as I hear might be the case, prone to pissing the bed then get a polythene sheet.

Sleep well and stop worrying about such stuff it will make youre hair go grey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.