Reload this Page >

dual citizen UK/US wants to live in UK

dual citizen UK/US wants to live in UK

Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:30 am
Just Joined

bennieriot is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile dual citizen UK/US wants to live in UK

Hi,

I was born to a British national father and have dual citizenship, however, I was born and have lived in the U.S. all my life.

Because I have a British passport, I am automatically a British citizen, correct? Does that mean I am able to simply move there and find work without any sort of red tape or special visa? I've been considering a permanent move there a year from now.

Additionally, my wife is a U.S. citizen. What rights is she granted as the wife of a dual citizen in the UK? Is she eligible for citizenship or employment? Would she be able to live in the UK with me while her paperwork is being filed? How long could it take for it to be squared away?

I'm very new to all this (and this forum), so I apologize if my many questions have been answered already. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dual citizen UK/US wants to live in UK

Originally Posted by bennieriot
Hi,

I was born to a British national father and have dual citizenship, however, I was born and have lived in the U.S. all my life.

Because I have a British passport, I am automatically a British citizen, correct? Does that mean I am able to simply move there and find work without any sort of red tape or special visa?
Yes.

Additionally, my wife is a U.S. citizen. What rights is she granted as the wife of a dual citizen in the UK? Is she eligible for citizenship or employment? Would she be able to live in the UK with me while her paperwork is being filed? How long could it take for it to be squared away?
start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

You can sponsor her for a spouse visa. After 2 years in the U.K. she can apply for permanent residence (Indefinite Leave to Remain) and then after a further year, British citizenship. These time limits may be increased in future, especially citizenship.

She must get a spouse visa before leaving. She cannot arrive as a tourist with a plan to switch status in-country.

Have you any children, or any children planned?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:44 am
Just Joined

bennieriot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes.

start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

You can sponsor her for a spouse visa. After 2 years in the U.K. she can apply for permanent residence (Indefinite Leave to Remain) and then after a further year, British citizenship. These time limits may be increased in future, especially citizenship.

She must get a spouse visa before leaving. She cannot arrive as a tourist with a plan to switch status in-country.

Have you any children, or any children planned?
thank you for such a prompt reply!

We do not have any children yet, but plan to in 2-3 years once we are settled.

Once my wife has secured a spouse visa, will she be allowed to find employment in the UK? How about within the EU in general?

Are the rules the same regarding my citizenship status if we should decide to live not in the UK but within the EU?

So many rules to follow--it's all very confusing to us!

Again, I appreciate your help.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 1:05 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bennieriot
............. my wife is a U.S. citizen. What rights is she granted as the wife of a dual citizen in the UK? Is she eligible for citizenship or employment? Would she be able to live in the UK with me while her paperwork is being filed? How long could it take for it to be squared away?

I'm very new to all this (and this forum), so I apologize if my many questions have been answered already. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks!
Useful forum:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0
Old Sep 15th 2008, 1:44 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

She may not even need a visa at all.

In some cases, we can give your husband, wife or civil partner permission to live permanently in the United Kingdom as soon as he/she arrives. To qualify for this, you must:

have married or formed a civil partnership four years ago;
have spent that four years living together outside the United Kingdom; and
now be returning to the United Kingdom to settle here together.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/uk...ecivilpartner/

if none of this applies to you, then what JAJ said.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
She may not even need a visa at all.

In some cases, we can give your husband, wife or civil partner permission to live permanently in the United Kingdom as soon as he/she arrives. To qualify for this, you must:

have married or formed a civil partnership four years ago;
have spent that four years living together outside the United Kingdom; and
now be returning to the United Kingdom to settle here together.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/uk...ecivilpartner/

if none of this applies to you, then what JAJ said.
Entry clearance is still required before leaving.

Also, the Life in the UK Test must normally be completed in advance. This can only be done in the U.K.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:37 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Entry clearance is still required before leaving.

Also, the Life in the UK Test must normally be completed in advance. This can only be done in the U.K.
Yes they need to go to the nearest British Consulate to get the ILR but you don't have to do the test as they already have ILR, but if they don't meet all the requirements that was stated on the Home Office website then they have to go through everything you described.