Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen, which passport to use?

Dual citizen, which passport to use?

Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

dpmacdonagh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizen, which passport to use?

Hey guys,

New member on this forum. I was born in Aldfield, but moved over to the US when I was two weeks old, and as a result currently hold a US and UK passport.

I decided to move back to the UK after backpacking Europe for a while starting in July.

I found the cheapest flight I could, and as such there are some layovers, and I'm wondering which passport I use and when. The flight is:

Boise to Seattle
Seattle to Calgary
Calgary to Gatwick

I'm wondering which passport I'll have to show when I go through security in Boise (Does the US require an exit stamp?), and which passport I'd show in Calgary (if I even have to, never traveled internationally by myself before so I dont know), and I'm assuming I use my British passport when I land in Gatwick.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen, which passport to use?

The is a legal entitlement for all US citizens to enter and leave the US using a US passport. You can enter other countries using either PP...however if you wish to remain in the UK you should enter using a UK PP. That way you will enter as a UK citizen not a visitor. When visiting the UK you can use either PP.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The is a legal entitlement for all US citizens to enter and leave the US using a US passport. You can enter other countries using either PP...however if you wish to remain in the UK you should enter using a UK PP. That way you will enter as a UK citizen not a visitor. When visiting the UK you can use either PP.
Do I have to show any passport to anyone when I land in Calgary, since that's out of the United States?
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpmacdonagh
Do I have to show any passport to anyone when I land in Calgary, since that's out of the United States?
Yes. I would use your US PP for all your travel...apart from entering the UK...then use your UK PP.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The is a legal entitlement for all US citizens to enter and leave the US using a US passport. .....
US citizens are "entitled" to use their US passport whenever they like, but there is a legal requirement to use it when entering or leaving the US.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses guys. I also have some questions about signing up for the NHS, should I create another thread for that?
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpmacdonagh
..... I also have some questions about signing up for the NHS, should I create another thread for that?
That would probably be best, because you'll need to attract different BE'ers with knowledge and experience of that.