Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Driving license conversion

Driving license conversion

Old Apr 10th 2016, 2:09 pm
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice
Default Driving license conversion

I emigrated to South Africa in 1980, I was told to get an international drivers license to convert my British Drivers license to an SA one. I still have the old UK cardboard one, if I came back to the UK permanently would it be a matter of getting an updated version using my old license?
My hubby and children all have South African driving licenses how would they go about converting it to a UK license?

Last edited by sueffun; Apr 10th 2016 at 2:11 pm. Reason: Punctuation error
Old Apr 10th 2016, 2:29 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license conversion

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence
Old Apr 10th 2016, 2:36 pm
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice

[QUOTE=Editha;11918969]https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence[/QUOTEthank you again Editha, you are really very helpful. Do you know if I could convert my old British one into a more updated version ?
Old Apr 10th 2016, 2:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can update your old driving licence sending it to the DVLA with Form D1 which you can pick up from a Post Office or order online for free. They'll issue you with a new photocard driving licence.

South African driving licences can be directly exchanged for a GB driving licence. NB: "You can no longer drive in the UK with an old South African book of life-style licence or letter of entitlement to one, and you can’t exchange these for a UK licence. You must have a new credit-card style licence or a letter of entitlement to one."
Old Apr 10th 2016, 2:39 pm
Sueffun

Thank you very much, I think I will start the process.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 3:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueffun
Thank you very much, I think I will start the process.
Just remember that the DVLA will NOT post anything to a non UK address
Old Apr 10th 2016, 5:18 pm
Sueffun

[QUOTE=mikelincs;11918988]Just remember that the DVLA will NOT post anything to a non UK address[/QUOTE

All my family live in the UK so I just used my Aunts address, they can then deliver it to her as I'm going over for a holiday end of this month. I will fill it out and then they can send it back to her address and she can then forward it to me in SA.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sueffun;11919068]
Originally Posted by mikelincs
Just remember that the DVLA will NOT post anything to a non UK address[/QUOTE

All my family live in the UK so I just used my Aunts address, they can then deliver it to her as I'm going over for a holiday end of this month. I will fill it out and then they can send it back to her address and she can then forward it to me in SA.
Don't forget that until you are actually *resident* back in the UK, the license won't be much use.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sueffun;11919068]
Originally Posted by mikelincs
Just remember that the DVLA will NOT post anything to a non UK address[/QUOTE

No, you can't do that (apply by post) in advance of travel. You can have your relatives pick up the paper forms ready for you to complete.

If you still have your old British (England/Wales/Scotland) paper licence you wait until you are actually in the UK and go to one of the Post Offices that takes your photo and completes a photocard licence application. They photograph you there and then in the Post Office.
Here:
Branch Finder | Post Office
be sure to tick the box labelled " DVLA Photocard Renewal" under "Products and Services".
The process is essentially the same as a simple change of address from your old UK address (no matter how old - decades old) to your new UK address.
As long as you still have that old paper licence (or at least a record of your "Driver Number" that was printed on it).