Downton Abbey - Series 3

Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:08 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Downton Abbey - Series 3

Originally Posted by Ja5on
I installed expat shield but it keeps opening blank internet explorer pages on top of whatever I am watching. I may have to try to take it off and put it back on. Maybe it's because I'm using Chrome?
I use it in Chrome for the footy (and Downton for SWMBO!) and don't have any issues with it?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Downton Abbey - Series 3

Originally Posted by Adnams
Am I missing something? On BBC player I can download shows to play later at a time convenient to me. I cant seem to find a similar option on ITV player. Do they not offer this function? Or am I being a flat earther and totally missing it when its in plain sight on the site?
I just think it's a little harder to find how to find the 'start now' icon on the ITV Player.

I've just turned on the Expat Shield, then went to http://www.itv.com

I then went to the ITV Player and typed in Downton Abbey in the search box for their shows/programmes.

It came up with a photo of Matthew (one of the characters) and a brief description of the most recent show, which was on air on Sunday 16th September and it says "Cora's mother arrives for Matthew and Mary's wedding, but with the couple's relationship under strain will they even make it to the altar? Robert has some shocking news".

I clicked on the photo of Matthew...and up came a picture of Shirley Maclaine with Maggie Smith and the 'Play Now' button. (duration 67 minutes).

It's working perfectly....but bear in mind you will still get the adverts!

The ITV Player doesn't seem to make it clear that you need to click on the photo to start the programme!

Not sure how long it will stay online for....maybe just 30 days...?

Hope it works for you and ENJOY
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I just think it's a little harder to find how to find the 'start now' icon on the ITV Player.

I've just turned on the Expat Shield, then went to http://www.itv.com

I then went to the ITV Player and typed in Downton Abbey in the search box for their shows/programmes.

It came up with a photo of Matthew (one of the characters) and a brief description of the most recent show, which was on air on Sunday 16th September and it says "Cora's mother arrives for Matthew and Mary's wedding, but with the couple's relationship under strain will they even make it to the altar? Robert has some shocking news".

I clicked on the photo of Matthew...and up came a picture of Shirley Maclaine with Maggie Smith and the 'Play Now' button. (duration 67 minutes).

It's working perfectly....but bear in mind you will still get the adverts!

The ITV Player doesn't seem to make it clear that you need to click on the photo to start the programme!

Not sure how long it will stay online for....maybe just 30 days...?

Hope it works for you and ENJOY
Thank you. Shall give it a whirl. Am saving D.A for sat night.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Expat Shield installs spyware and malware on your computer, I've uninstalled it and it and it's still knocking around trying to make connections to the internet. Now I have to run antibytes to get rid of it all.....I guess nothing is truly free!

Oh no, I installed it too. Can you link me to antibytes? I have malware bytes.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Why was Lord Grantham too old to serve but the youngest daughter's friend not too old?
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Englishmum for the info! It was great to watch it last weekend.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Hugely disappointed in new D.A.

Its gone terribly, terribly soapy. Introdution of Shirley McClain is a big mistake. It seems like a lot of the plot is slighty anti Brit establishment and I suppose they've done that for the US market as its a huge success here.

Plot line about possible inheritences from dead "almost" relatives and the likes is just silly slush. It's almost Mils and Boons-ish crossed with a B.Cartland novel.

Sad they've let it go so badly. I wont be watching anymore.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well does she or doesn't she?

Spoiler:
Does Mrs. Hughes have cancer? I know Mrs. Patmore told Carson no, but that last little look said something else. Oh, and poor Edith!
Old Oct 1st 2012, 7:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Hugely disappointed in new D.A.

Its gone terribly, terribly soapy. Introdution of Shirley McClain is a big mistake. It seems like a lot of the plot is slighty anti Brit establishment and I suppose they've done that for the US market as its a huge success here.

Plot line about possible inheritences from dead "almost" relatives and the likes is just silly slush. It's almost Mils and Boons-ish crossed with a B.Cartland novel.

Sad they've let it go so badly. I wont be watching anymore.
It's getting grief in some of the papers, for similar reasons.

I'm not bothered with some of the picky historical inaccuracies, but as you say it's a little too "soapy". Sad to say, I think they may have changed it to be more attractive to a US audience (i.e. they've dumbed it down, sexed it up and removed any nuance).

I still enjoy it but think the first series was by far the best.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's getting grief in some of the papers, for similar reasons.

I'm not bothered with some of the picky historical inaccuracies, but as you say it's a little too "soapy". Sad to say, I think they may have changed it to be more attractive to a US audience (i.e. they've dumbed it down, sexed it up and removed any nuance).

I still enjoy it but think the first series was by far the best.
That's a shame, because I liked it as it was. I was annoyed about the bit of Mrs. Hughes having breast cancer (not about the cancer itself) but that they would immediately have known a lump was cancer back then. Seriously? Very annoying!

Edit to add:

I don't think they'd have to "dumb" it down too much. It is shown on PBS here and not the regular channels.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Ellie56 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't download the itv player app on my iPad. It keeps telling me it's not available in the us app store. What am I doing wrong this is driving me insane.