Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Doggies in UK..where can they go?

Doggies in UK..where can they go?

Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doggies in UK..where can they go?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
People that take offence to dogs in pubs don't belong in them either IMO.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and standards
Pubs are for people- not dogs. How would you feel if someone brought a weasel or a skunk in and it was at the next table to you?

Last edited by Pica; Nov 17th 2016 at 2:01 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Why? My dog has the run of the house at home - where I eat.
Yes, but that's just you in your own home, your freedom of choice. You don't have loads of guests every mealtime that have to put up with dogs hanging round the place without the choice of spending their space with other people's animals or not. Sorry but I really don't think animals should be allowed in any sort of eaterie. A friend of mine brought their labrador to a pub where it sat under the table being whiffy while we ate- not a pleasant experience.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and standards
Pubs are for people- not dogs. How would you feel if someone brought a weasel or a skunk in and it was at the next table to you?
Do you actually believe this is a good analogy?

Last edited by Downton Gabby; Nov 17th 2016 at 3:59 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi We take our Aussie baby girl (our pet dog lol) most places, coffee shops, pubs, the beach, stately homes, beer gardens when on our long walk "stop overs" and she has been made most welcome.....well she is just gorgeous lol
I'm sure she is!
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

People that take offence to dogs in pubs don't belong in them either IMO.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not really that amusing except to dog lovers.
Some people don't want to share their dining experience with other people's dogs so I suppose the best solution is to ask if they accept dogs and if they do- go elsewhere. I have to ask " Why take your dog? Is itnot easier to leave it at home?"
Why bother?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Some people don't want to share their dining experience with other people's dogs so I suppose the best solution is to ask if they accept dogs and if they do- go elsewhere. I have to ask " Why take your dog? Is itnot easier to leave it at home?"
Why bother?
I guess it's a commercial decision for pubs etc - they must think they lose less trade than they gain by being dog friendly.

Certainly in popular walking areas in the countryside I can imagine it would harm their trade to ban dogs.

We sometimes go to a cafe at the beach here in Poole after walking our dog and it always makes me chuckle - the food is pretty mediocre, the service is terrible but it does have a lovely vibe and is always full of dogs
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Why bother?
Because I like it, my dog likes it and the other people who go to a dog friendly venue like it. If they didn't they could go to somewhere else.

Personally, I don't like restaurants that allow children. But, I don't expect them all to ban children. But the same logic as yours could apply.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 6:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Why bother?
I wouldn't actually describe myself as a dog lover. I don't like most of them frankly, small yappy dogs make me want to kick them (I wouldn't obviously - before anybody reports me to the RSPCA!).

But if one wants a dog free meal, then there are plenty of restaurants to choose from. Pubs are different.

As for why take dogs, to most they are part of the family. And the only time we ever go to a pub is when we're stopping off for a meal or a drink on a walk, so why on earth would we go for a long walk in the country and leave our dog at home?!?
Old Nov 18th 2016, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't actually describe myself as a dog lover. I don't like most of them frankly, small yappy dogs make me want to kick them (I wouldn't obviously - before anybody reports me to the RSPCA!).

But if one wants a dog free meal, then there are plenty of restaurants to choose from. Pubs are different.

As for why take dogs, to most they are part of the family. And the only time we ever go to a pub is when we're stopping off for a meal or a drink on a walk, so why on earth would we go for a long walk in the country and leave our dog at home?!?
Actually, I quite like dogs as long as they belong to someone else and I'm not expected to coo over them.
I don't mind people taking dogs to pubs but they should keep them outside. Many pubs have outdoor drinking/eating areas. They should go to those pubs and then other customers have a choice as to whether they wish to eat inside where it's dog free or outside with dogs. Quite simple really.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 9:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I quite like dogs as long as they belong to someone else and I'm not expected to coo over them.
I don't mind people taking dogs to pubs but they should keep them outside. Many pubs have outdoor drinking/eating areas. They should go to those pubs and then other customers have a choice as to whether they wish to eat inside where it's dog free or outside with dogs. Quite simple really.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I'd say that those that don't want to eat anywhere near dogs have an awful lot of restaurants to choose from, and for me dogs are part of the pub atmosphere. Can't beat a good country pub with an old labrador snoozing by the fire IMO!
Old Nov 18th 2016, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

We'll have to agree to disagree, I'd say that those that don't want to eat anywhere near dogs have an awful lot of restaurants to choose from, and for me dogs are part of the pub atmosphere. Can't beat a good country pub with an old labrador snoozing by the fire IMO!