Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know how to help?

Does anyone know how to help?

Old May 9th 2009, 11:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know how to help?

Originally Posted by lisa444
...im just going to go for this private flat they have found and keep looking for work with them thanks everyone for your advise. its been greatly appreciated
Okay.
Don't forget the job centre as a resource for jobs as well as a benefits office.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:22 am
Just Joined

lisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nice

Thats our main source. We are on there site constantly
Old May 11th 2009, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

lisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nicelisa444 is just really nice

Well it seems we are in a bigger mess now, as the council wont release the bond that they promised until they get the housing contract and the contracts from the jobs my Aunt has. She will be getting one contract tomorrow which is for only 11 hours per week, and she cant start the other job until she has a bank account, she cant get a bank account until she has a utility bill, she cant get that until she gets a place to have a utility bill for.

I am so desperate now i dont know what to do. No one can help at all

We went to the bank that said they may not need a utility bill and the lady there asked her if she had anything addressed to her house like a bank statement or ANYTHING we said no because she hasnt got a bank account and she replied "well do you think you might be interested in opening one any time soon?"
Old May 18th 2009, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Just thought i would leave an update not sure if anyones still following this but... Great news if all goes well my Aunt and her clan will be moving in to a 2 bed flat tomorrow, We looked at private ones and the council said they would give them £500 for the bond, i have had to say i am willing to help them pay their bills etc. as she is only working 11 hours, but hopefully it wont be long before she can get some help.

We managed to get a building society account not sure if they accept wages to be put in, but as soon as she gets the keys to the flat tomorrow we are ringing the gas electric etc so she should be bale to open a bank account soon enough.

Just want to thank everyone for their help and advice, especially bristol tyvm x
Old May 18th 2009, 7:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I just noticed you posted again.
Glad things are looking up.

Lots of people had problems opening bank accounts when DSS/DWP were pushing for benefit payments into the bank instead of giros.

But that was mainly an ID issue, not a utility bill thing. Lots of kids leaving school won't have utility bills either but they manage. Looks like some bank staff are as unhelpful as some benefits staff.

I do remember Building Societies (if there are any left now) seemed more relaxed about it than banks. And benefits could be paid into them as well as banks, so I'm sure wages can be paid in too.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:15 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa, great to know things are looking up. Good for you for working so hard to help.

Bev
Old May 20th 2009, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about

Phew! Just read through the whole saga - so glad to hear things are working out now. And great advice from Bristol - I'm very impressed!
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa444
We managed to get a building society account not sure if they accept wages to be put in, but as soon as she gets the keys to the flat tomorrow we are ringing the gas electric etc so she should be bale to open a bank account soon enough.
If the building society account is a current account, she'll be able to get her wages paid into it. If it's just a savings account with a passbook, it may not be possible.

However, she should be able to open a "basic bank account" at a bank. These are accounts where you can't go overdrawn. You also don't get a cheque book. But you can get your wages and benefits paid into them. And you do get a debit card that can be used to get cash out from an ATM and to buy stuff in shops etc.

These basic bank accounts were introduced when the government started paying benefits into bank accounts only.

Lloyds Bank call their "basic account" a cash account. You only need a UK or EU passport to open it (I just checked on their website and that is still the case. You only need additiona docs if you don't have a UK/EU passport.)

Bank employees will not mention these basic accounts, because there is no profit in them for banks. But if you go and and ask specifically to open a "cash account", they should not refuse you. (Ask to speak to the manager if they refuse.)
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Oh brilliant we will try that as she only has a pass book although she was told that she could have her wages paid in to that.

They have moved in to the flat. We had to find 4 months rent up front along with the £500 bond from the council, I had to agree to pay there bills and for food etc, before they handed it over, dunno how, im a single mum i go to college and i work 16 hours a week, as a support worker so not much to spare. I am hoping they will get housing benefit now and maybe some help from social security. But im just happy to have my home back