Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

does anyone feel ashamed or feel like a traitor?

does anyone feel ashamed or feel like a traitor?

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:59 am
Just Joined

billybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nice
Default does anyone feel ashamed or feel like a traitor?

ive been in australia for 3 years now. brisbane. the homesickness/isolation was very slow to set in to be honest...the first year was a novelty and went by very fast.

now though, i feel like a traitor. i feel that i turned my back on the greatest country on earth-great britain.

i have developed quite a hatred to this place and feel isolated. i should go back, but my wife doesnt really know i feel this way.

living here is like living on mars...australia misses out on so much.

in the uk u can jump on a plane and with in 3 hours be in anyone of about 15 different countries (at least)...here though, it takes 3 hours to get to its closest neighbour--NZ.

/rant
thanks for listening
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does anyone feel ashamed or feel like a traitor?

Originally Posted by billybaxter
ive been in australia for 3 years now. brisbane. the homesickness/isolation was very slow to set in to be honest...the first year was a novelty and went by very fast.

now though, i feel like a traitor. i feel that i turned my back on the greatest country on earth-great britain.

i have developed quite a hatred to this place and feel isolated. i should go back, but my wife doesnt really know i feel this way.

in the uk u can jump on a plane and with in 3 hours be in anyone of about 15 different countries (at least)...here though, it takes 3 hours to get to its closest neighbour--NZ.

/rant
thanks for listening
Hi Billy....dont be a hero (sorry, blame the wine, lame I know but I have an affliction)

You sound like me except I dont have a wife as I'm a woman.
Seriously though, it took me 18 months to have really really serious doubts. The novelty factor was there b4 and I just got on with here/now & enjoyed here.
You HAVE HAVE HAVE to talk to your wife. You cant feel like this & not say anything. You never know, she may feel exactly the same!
Please sit down and tell her how you feel (pretty please)
Good luck and talk Billybaxter (love the name)
xx
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

karni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nice

/rant
thanks for listening
Billybaxter,
there are heaps of people on this moving forum that feel exactly the same as you do (me for one and Ive only been here 6 months)..
Agree with birdynumnum..u gotta talk to your wife...chances are she feels exactly the same...
Best of luck and let us know how you get on!
Karni
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:41 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with the others. If you don't say anything, you might start resenting her as well as the country. She may well feel exactly the same way, and is not saying anything for fear of ending what she thinks is YOUR dream. TELL HER!!!!! At least you'll both know where you stand.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

living here is like living on mars ...australia misses out on so much.

/rant
thanks for listening
i've always imagined living in aussie and nz to feel isolated, 9hrs away from civilization is far enough for me

i totally agree britain is a great country and sadly it takes peeps to move away to realise that however all is most certainly not lost...get on that plane with your head held high, after all, all you've done is take 3 yrs out to experience living 'on mars'....nothing to be ashamed of!

btw welcome to BE
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:25 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

CANADA.

You could drive to Argentina if you wanted, not out of touch with world, plugged right in.

East Coast, 5 hours from UK, still keep many Celtic Traditions and music long lost in the UK.

Victoria, B.C, is more England than England, including high Tea.

New England( easily driveable, couple of hours), New Scotland, New Brunswick, great deal of cultural familiarity.

Australia is O. K for many people, I found it too hot, too far away from everyone,and some of the habits, too out of touch with todays World., and the damn snakes and BUGS.

Not the U.K, Not the Excited States, somewhere in between.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

/rant
thanks for listening
Think of yourself as an adventurer...not a traitor. You've enjoyed your adventure but it's over now...it's time to go home.

Sometimes you have to stand back from something to really appreciate it. You're not the only one to suffer from homesickness this forum is full of people just like you...we all understand where you are coming from.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

billybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nicebillybaxter is just really nice

u guys are all right...i will have to tell my wife.

thanks all for the advice.

british patriotism is very deep rooted. we are perhaps the most patriotic peoples on earth, even if we dont realise it. we have a lot to be proud of and yes, it sometimes takes a big move to realise it.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

I don't feel like a traitor but I do feel much more patriotic since I left. At the very least we won't be one of those old geezers sitting in the pub saying "I could have done that".
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shivster
I don't feel like a traitor but I do feel much more patriotic since I left. At the very least we won't be one of those old geezers sitting in the pub saying "I could have done that".
I agree with you.
I didnt consider myself patriotic before living here.
am definately more so now

good luck billyb
x
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi Billy....dont be a hero (sorry, blame the wine, lame I know but I have an affliction)

You sound like me except I dont have a wife as I'm a woman.
Seriously though, it took me 18 months to have really really serious doubts. The novelty factor was there b4 and I just got on with here/now & enjoyed here.
You HAVE HAVE HAVE to talk to your wife. You cant feel like this & not say anything. You never know, she may feel exactly the same!
Please sit down and tell her how you feel (pretty please)
Good luck and talk Billybaxter (love the name)
xx
now you're showing your age!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=fitz;5096810]now you're showing your age![/QUOTE

Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, as you can see you are not on your own. We came to Canada over 4 years ago, and have similarly come to the opinion that for us at least Great Britain, is indeed a Great country. It's not Utopia, and it has it's faults, but it is 'Home'. Indeed we have come to realise, since coming to Canada that we are very proud to be English. Sometimes you simply don't realise what you have until you experience something different, and at least you have done that. Canadians are very good at patriotism, and waving their flag, and I often wonder why, especially when the Brits are so bad at it.
Please take heed of what others are saying and talk to you wife. If she does'nt know how you feel, how can she understand, and how can she help resolve (hopefully together), your predicaments. Maybe she's trying to put a brave face on things for you. Communication is key.
Best Regards.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:21 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

I have been in Canada 50 years, since I was 13.

Canada is my Home, but I am definitely English, England is my Birth Place, I am familiar with the History and the geography, when We visit, We are Canadians, but are very comfortable in our surroundings.

My B in L, Canadian by Birth, Grand Parents from UK has decided, to settle in the U.K, he is just more comfortable in that environment, bit of a twit, he has a very overly romanticised idea of the country.

My Ashes will be partially scattered here, partially on the Yorkshire Moors(I hope)?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:28 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Howard1944;5112374]bit of a twit, he has a very overly romanticised idea of the country.

QUOTE]

Why is he a twit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.