Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

do you drink more in oz, hic??

do you drink more in oz, hic??

Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you drink more in oz, hic??

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I do tend to drink a bit more, have the odd beer during the week when its hot, I shouldnt quench my thirst with beer but it is so tempting when the temperature is up.

Im deffo having more nookie in Perth, the hot weather makes me all fruity.
Can you buy "nookie"at the bottle'o'?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:16 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Can you buy "nookie"at the bottle'o'?
I shall have a nice chilled bottle of nookie please, make it extra sweet.

No doubt some people probably would like to buy it bottled.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I do tend to drink a bit more, have the odd beer during the week when its hot, I shouldnt quench my thirst with beer but it is so tempting when the temperature is up.

Im deffo having more nookie in Perth, the hot weather makes me all fruity.
Nookie was off the menu for me in Perth when it was so hot...it was the last thing on my mind, all sweaty and sticky but...i guess some like it like that.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:54 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Defo drank more in Oz. Started off because it was so hot and humid through the summer....nothing cools you down like a cold beer
But, as the humid months carry on for 5months it is a hard habit to beat , we found that we drank nearly every night as there was little else to do. I put on 10pounds
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:43 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

In Africa there is just nothing like an ice cold beer in the evening - well at least to me that applies. I would have three every night. In the UK it is not the same thing so I don't drink cold beer. I've also noticed that the pubs I used to go to in rural Essex have less people in them and four within cycling range have closed. I agree that you do drink more when you are bored. I used to live in Kuwait where I did not drink alcohol at all and I became an addict of Lung Ching green tea which is absolutely lovely but terribly expensive.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
In Africa there is just nothing like an ice cold beer in the evening - well at least to me that applies. I would have three every night. In the UK it is not the same thing so I don't drink cold beer. I've also noticed that the pubs I used to go to in rural Essex have less people in them and four within cycling range have closed. I agree that you do drink more when you are bored. I used to live in Kuwait where I did not drink alcohol at all and I became an addict of Lung Ching green tea which is absolutely lovely but terribly expensive.
So its not an Aus thing? We've got Canada and Africa on the thread now, at least.....maybe its more of a dissatisfied expats thing than a country-specific thing?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:08 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So its not an Aus thing? We've got Canada and Africa on the thread now, at least.....maybe its more of a dissatisfied expats thing than a country-specific thing?
Oh I see - the OP did mention Oz in the question. Maybe Gambia is in Australia - I don't know, I went by plane!

Personally I'm much more satisfied in Gambia than in the UK - but a few pints will soon knock that into touch.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Oh I see - the OP did mention Oz in the question. Maybe Gambia is in Australia - I don't know, I went by plane!

Personally I'm much more satisfied in Gambia than in the UK - but a few pints will soon knock that into touch.
I know a lot of posters on the thread are Aus based , but I don't think its an Aussie thing, I personally think its more widespread.....
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know a lot of posters on the thread are Aus based , but I don't think its an Aussie thing, I personally think its more widespread.....
OK. I accept your challenge and will drink more when I'm in the UK!!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

must admit i drink alot less, as have my hours of work and longer and have to work harder, therfore cant drink too much as am knackered with work all the time
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:43 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merleoberon
i do. in fact i am tipsy at the mo.

on a serious note is it a good thing? in england i was P*ssed on 3 glasses of wine on a satrday night - now i can down a bottle on a wednesday. that cant be good?
is it oz? or the depression? the f*kwit druggies next door? or mabye its me.

people drink more here but you dont see as much drunkeness. driving after a day at the pub is not a big deal. not that i do that. but they do.

should i be worried
Interesting question. I have found that since living in OZ I have increased my alcohol consumption. In NZ I used to drink on a friday night out at the pub with mates and at social get-togethers.

Nowadays I go out very seldom and drink at home mostly. Usually spirits, sometimes beer (never been a big wine fan). Probably get pissed a couple of times a week. I also find I tend to drink more on each occaision in OZ than I did in NZ.

When I was in UK (after first few weeks there partying hard), I drank maybe once a week but found the whole thing far more social than OZ.

I think for me, there may be a little depression involved but I'd put the increase in boozing largely down to boredom and the fact it can be very hard to make and build friendships in OZ. Something I've noted that many others on BE have mentioned. IMO UK and NZ are far easier to do this in than OZ. Acquaintances I have; friends, well they are something else aren't they?

Last edited by kiwi_child; Nov 26th 2009 at 6:47 am. Reason: additional comment
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:26 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Interesting question. I have found that since living in OZ I have increased my alcohol consumption. In NZ I used to drink on a friday night out at the pub with mates and at social get-togethers.

Nowadays I go out very seldom and drink at home mostly. Usually spirits, sometimes beer (never been a big wine fan). Probably get pissed a couple of times a week. I also find I tend to drink more on each occaision in OZ than I did in NZ.

When I was in UK (after first few weeks there partying hard), I drank maybe once a week but found the whole thing far more social than OZ.

I think for me, there may be a little depression involved but I'd put the increase in boozing largely down to boredom and the fact it can be very hard to make and build friendships in OZ. Something I've noted that many others on BE have mentioned. IMO UK and NZ are far easier to do this in than OZ. Acquaintances I have; friends, well they are something else aren't they?
That's very much how I feel. Whereas in the UK I might phone a mate or watch something on TV in the evening or speak to my parents I find that I have far less to do in Australia hobby/leisure wise. The things I like (English football, myrmecology) are harder to pursue in Australia so I tend to kind of go and get a few beers and browse the internet (Amazon, You Tube mostly) for something to do.

Bit sad!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:03 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
That's very much how I feel. Whereas in the UK I might phone a mate or watch something on TV in the evening or speak to my parents I find that I have far less to do in Australia hobby/leisure wise. The things I like (English football, myrmecology) are harder to pursue in Australia so I tend to kind of go and get a few beers and browse the internet (Amazon, You Tube mostly) for something to do.

Bit sad!
myrmecology, what is that? Well, life in OZ can be a bit sad, as my post suggested. FWIW I tend to agree with you and Arkon (who is a great guy really and a breath of fresh air on BE).
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:10 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willamos

Bit sad!
Genuine question! How is studying ants ( Hope I got that right?)hard to do here? I would have thought it paradise going by my deck!!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:13 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Genuine question! How is studying ants ( Hope I got that right?)hard to do here? I would have thought it paradise going by my deck!!
In Europe and the UK they have places, proper shops, that sell ant colonies and ant related equipment to hobbyists. Including exotic species from Australia and South America.

No such thing in Australia. And ask in a supposedly 'exotic' pets shop and they just give you a really weird look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.