Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do we use our old UK N.I. number when we move back?

Do we use our old UK N.I. number when we move back?

Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:34 am
Just Joined

SpindleyLegs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we use our old UK N.I. number when we move back?

That's it really! Do we need to apply for brand new national insurance numbers when we get back, or do we just use the ones we had when we left england?

Thanks for any replies! :-)
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we use our old UK N.I. number when we move back?

The one you had.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Whoosh! Just like that!

Thank you so much for such a swift reply!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Lilly93 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do we obtain NI numbers when we move to the UK? I want to move in August.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

This is the official government website, click through for NI details. (not sure if you are a returning uk citizen or not...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Advanced...surance+number
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:37 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Do we use our old UK N.I. number when we move back?

Originally Posted by SpindleyLegs
That's it really! Do we need to apply for brand new national insurance numbers when we get back, or do we just use the ones we had when we left england?

You keep the same NINO (Nat Insurance No.) from when it is issued (usually at age 16) for the rest of your life.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilly93
How do we obtain NI numbers when we move to the UK? I want to move in August.
Your old number should be somewhere on the last Income Tax statement you received before leaving.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SpindleyLegs

You also use the same NHS number which you should keep handy.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
You also use the same NHS number which you should keep handy.
No, NHS numbers all changed a few years ago, so you will have been allocated a new one. They changed it because, now, all children born in the UK are given on at birth, which wasn't the case before, you only got a NHS number when you were first treated. When you go to the GP/Health centre then they should sort that out for you. NHS numbers are, more and more, being used instead on Hospital numbers as well, because of the increased computerisation of the NHS records, with Hospital numbers it would have been common for several individuals to have the same number as all hospitals issued their own, the NHS number is unique. I worked in a Pathology department that amalgamated with the departments of 5 hospitals to make one huge department, BUT, we had a single computer system, so under the name and hopsital number system it was theoretically possible for two people to get confused on the system, so we moved to a NHS number led system which solved the problems. Originally the whole NHS was going to have a central system, BUT, the beaurocratic nonsense that get involved meant that the system the NHS decided on just didn't deliver, wasting many millions.