Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

Old Nov 13th 2009, 11:08 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

Hmmmm, well I don't know if I can say it had a negative impact on me. But I can say I felt I wasted a lot of time wishing I was elsewhere. As hard as we tried we just couldn't make it how we wanted it to be. Our real friends were all back in the Uk, and some of the friends we made out there weren't friends at all. Just people we had to work with or people who were there on nights out. I found it lonely in that sense and that friendships were forced rather than natural.
It was quite exhausting trying to make it all work out well, and in the end we just gave up trying.We felt frustrated by the ozzy,rude,no nonsense,abrupt way of dealing with people and eventually we just couldn't accept it any more.
I can now say 100%, hand on heart - moving back to the Uk was the best thing I've done in years.
No regrets about returning and it's very definately "all good"! Now looking forwards to a UK Christmas and the whole lead up to that.
After our 2 years spent out there I know where I'd rather be living my life and it definately isn't over there.

P.S. Sorry, I've just read the posts before mine and yes, this is another "returning from Australia post" but ummmmm, that's where we were.
Perhaps, instead of complaining about that it just highlights how many returnees from oz there actually are.

Last edited by onepearlyb; Nov 13th 2009 at 11:14 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:49 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
Did living abroad have a negative impact on you in terms of your attitudes and personality?
It has done and will continue to until, one day I can return home.
But, as I read it (well described) recently; thats what you get when you settle down without settling in.

Meanwhile, I suppose you just deal with it as best you can.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
I woke up feeling really depressed this morning and after reading this my cheeks are sore from laughing
yeah - nothing like the misery of others to lift a depression :

hope you are feeling less so today.