Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Are tow bars in Australia different to those in the UK (or France)?

Are tow bars in Australia different to those in the UK (or France)?

Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough
Default Are tow bars in Australia different to those in the UK (or France)?

Hi all

Does anyone know whether tow bars in Australia are the same as those fitted in the UK? Or France? We are moving to France for a few years and I need to figure out whether to sell the bike rack as we'll have one British car and one French one! But I suspect the Aussie tow bars are smaller. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ta
highersights
Old Nov 7th 2009, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are tow bars in Australia different to those in the UK (or France)?

It isnt the tow bar that's the issue, it's the size of the ball that goes in it which changes and depends on the thing you are towing AFAIK. The tow bars have a tongue into which you can put whichever attachment you want to put it. The tow bar will be designed to suit the car. I dont know what size our tow ball is but I think my son's trailer has a different size so you will probably find your bike racks fit.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:28 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

common sizes are 48mm and 50mm . Not much difference but a hell of a lot when u hook a trailer up .
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
common sizes are 48mm and 50mm . Not much difference but a hell of a lot when u hook a trailer up .
Not terribly much difference for a bike rack though - the ball size is irrelevant
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

warrigal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by highersights
Hi all

Does anyone know whether tow bars in Australia are the same as those fitted in the UK? Or France? We are moving to France for a few years and I need to figure out whether to sell the bike rack as we'll have one British car and one French one! But I suspect the Aussie tow bars are smaller. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ta
highersights

3 1/2 inch ball is the standard in australia. electrics might be different adaptors are available.