Dental Costs

Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

RollTide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dental Costs

Hoping that someone here can help with this.

I am returning to live in the UK within the next 4 months, back to Scotland. Presently live in the US and need to have a regular cleaning/x-rays done in that time. I do not have dental insurance so will be paying cash.

Does anyone know the cost of these services in Scotland as I could delay for a couple of months if it will be much cheaper.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental Costs

If you can find an NHS dentist the charges are on the following website:

NHS dental charges - The NHS in England - NHS Choices

Private dentists charge what they like. I'd Google dentists in wherever it is you are going to live in Scotland. Many private dentists put their charges on their websites. Here's one I found in Guildford, Surrey.

https://www.oasisdentalcare.co.uk/pr.../oasis-basics/
Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollTide
Hoping that someone here can help with this.

I am returning to live in the UK within the next 4 months, back to Scotland. Presently live in the US and need to have a regular cleaning/x-rays done in that time. I do not have dental insurance so will be paying cash.

Does anyone know the cost of these services in Scotland as I could delay for a couple of months if it will be much cheaper.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't let a dentist visit have any impact on a moving country date!

It is very hard to find an NHS dentis taking on new patients in the UK, well it s here in the SE, but the cost of a clean and X-rays is not excessive even privately. Maybe £100 or so.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:59 am
Just Joined

RollTide is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses......I guess I wasn't clear about timeline. I meant that I could delay the dental visit, not the date for moving back.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollTide
Thanks for the responses......I guess I wasn't clear about timeline. I meant that I could delay the dental visit, not the date for moving back.
I'd have the checkup and cleaning here in the US - goodness knows how long you might have to wait in the UK as a new patient.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I'd have the checkup and cleaning here in the US - goodness knows how long you might have to wait in the UK as a new patient.
It would be no time at all as a private patient, probably within a few days. If looking for a NHS dentist, well that would take a looong time.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 8:23 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Expect to pay £50 to £70 for a hygienist. Quality is variable. Cleaning on the NHS will be cursory and usually done by the dentist rather than an hygienist.

Oasis dental care that SanDiegoGirl linked to is a good guide. Oasis are a large national chain of dentists. In my experience, they employ a lot of locum foreign dentists, often with poor English. They offer competitive pricing, but you are usually better off finding a local, independent practice.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

To give you an idea of private dentistry costs, I pay £24 per month to Denplan, who are a private dental insurance company. All my checkups and hygienist visits are free and treatments are discounted.

Your monthly fee depends on the state of your teeth when you join. Very broadly, the more crowns & fillings you have (I have a few!), then the higher fee you pay. My dentist surgery deals with all the paperwork/claims etc, I just hand over any excess/co-pay to them.

I went private when I first moved to this area 10+ years ago as NHS dentists in the area weren't accepting new patients, only emergencies. That has now changed but I was so happy with my dentist that I have stuck with him. I've had a LOT of dental treatment over the years and continuity with the same professional is invaluable to me.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

We moved back to Dundee, Scotland in April 2015. We found it easy to register with a local NHS dentist and we had our first appointment within a few weeks of registering. There was no charge for checkup and initial x-rays no treatment was needed other than a visit with the Hygienist. We made appointments with the Hygienist for the following week and received the same standard of care as we did at our old dentist in Boston MA. The dentist gives you a visit summery that shows any reccomendations and the NHS cost and the Private cost and you can choose what ever you please. The NHS in Scotland is different than the NHS in England and charges are different.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 6:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dundee15
..... The NHS in Scotland is different than the NHS in England and charges are different.
Presumably you moved back to Scotland than the US.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

We used to live in Boston, Massachusetts we now live in Dundee, Scotland. Sorry if I did not make that clear..
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dundee15
We used to live in Boston, Massachusetts we now live in Dundee, Scotland. Sorry if I did not make that clear..
You appear to have adopted and retained the idiosyncratic American usage of "than" when contrasting two different things.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

I used the word than before I ever visited or lived in the US... maybe its a Scottish thing!!!
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:48 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Register with a Dentist | Scottish Dental
details of how to go about registering with an NHS dentist and charges.

pm me and I might be able to recommend a practice.