Health care

Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:27 am
Just Joined

blueeyes237 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health care

I have had cancer which was treated very well here in France. I have lived here for 12 years but, now widowed, am thinking of returning to the UK. Someone has told me that, because I am in the system here in France and have paid into that system for 12 years, I can continue to come back to France for health care if I need to, even after I have left France. Does anyone know if that is true?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care

The Mods need to move this to the France board.

Have you thought about getting French citizenship before you leave?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:02 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

French citizenship will only be useful if the UK leaves the EU, but since that is a possibility, formula is right that it would be the safer option.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
French citizenship will only be useful if the UK leaves the EU, but since that is a possibility, formula is right that it would be the safer option.
I was also thinking that her right to use the French healthcare system might be lost after a while if the OP doesn't have French citizenship and hasn't been living in France; and the French do have one of the best healthcare systems in the world. As a French citizen, she would be treated as any other French citizen returning to France.

I can't think of any disadvantages to being a dual UK/French citizen.

Last edited by formula; Jan 16th 2016 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 4:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I might be wrong, but I think it would be against EU rules for access to a country's health system to be dependent on citizenship.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:58 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

When you leave France you lose the right to continue with the health coverage. Your right to this coverage comes with residency or working. Even french people lose it.

You may come back for treatment but are liable for all the charges.

It's the same for the NHS, once you leave the UK you lose the right to NHS treatment apart from EHIC coverage.