Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Decision is made we are going back to the UK

Decision is made we are going back to the UK

Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Jenny Gumbley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decision is made we are going back to the UK

After eleven years in South Africa we have finally decided to return to the UK. We are not under pressure to move, we are only thinking about the end of 2015. I am busy with a technical qualification in procurement which I hope will help me to secure a job and we will have a fairly good lump sum to return with. Does anyone have any experience of renting in the UK, I have looked and know it is expensive, we have a uk bank account but no credit cards, not sure if this will help or if the rental company will accept six months payment in advance??
I would be please to hear anyones thoughts on Schools as we have an eleven year old boy who has had a few issues but is fine to be educated in mainstream school.
thanks
Jenny G
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision is made we are going back to the UK

Hi Jenny. I am also returning to the UK after 30 years in SA. Where are you in SA? I am in Pretoria. I don't have the answers to your questions as all my children are grown up so I have no need to be looking at schools, but my daughters are returning to the UK also so 2 of my little grandchildren will be coming too. But as they are only 2yrs 3 months and 3 months old, no need to be worrying about schools just yet.

I am fortunate enough to have my oldest daughter already there (for the past 12 years) and she is going to help find us a decent rental in Coventry or the surrounding areas but I anticipate paying about 575 - 600 pounds per month and that is without the council tax. I am aware that some of the rental agencies or private renters will take a larger amount as deposit when references are not available.

My house was sold after 3 weeks on the market and we hope that the transfer will be through in January 15. Hopefully it WONT be before that.

Anyway Jenny just wanted to say hi, and good luck with the process, it is a bit draining no matter how much time you give yourself. But on the up side, the stress has helped me shed a few kgs, hehehhe.

All the best.

Mary
Old Oct 27th 2014, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you want to rent in the UK. My experience in London is that it is very pricey but that is to be expected.

The rental market in the UK is pretty much unregulated in terms of the fees agencies charge. There have been some improvements between landlord and tenant such as the landlord has to secure your deposit in a 3rd party scheme or similar.

The weakest link in the chain is the estate agent who manages who you need to deal with. Their fees can be high...admin fee, contract fee, processing etc on top of the depoist.

Most look for references but if you can evidence a lump sum I think they will be ok as I said they aren't regulated so they don't have any set rules.

I am not sure what it is like in SA but you can negotiate quite a bit in the UK depending on the landlord you have. I am a landlord for one property so I prefer if my tenant wants a long lease so will accept a lower rent but landlords with multiple properties may be just more concerned with a higher rent.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the positive imput,
I am in Ballito. I have family in Birmingham so think we will be looking arround the Knowle area.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Jenny want a lovely part of SA, I was actually born in Birmingham!!! in Quinton. Knowle is a lovely area.

I am currently waiting for the owner of Baileys international to arrive so she can give me a quote for the bits and pieces I want to take back. For the past 17 years I have been sending her business for clients that are going to live in Australia, now I am becoming one of her clients. I am hoping that it is not going to cost me a fortune.

Right time to go and sort another bunch of stuff so have a great day.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:28 am
Just Joined

It is lovely but after eleven years of running a guesthouse its time for some family time.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Yep Jenny I can well imagine. Well Brenda of Baileys international has just been, so I will know in 24 hours if I will have to sell some body parts to pay for the shipment. Hold thumbs that I only have to rent out one of my daughters for a couple of hours!!! hehehe only kidding.

I have decided that I should create a booklet on what needs to be done once the decision to relocate has been made...boy nothing is simple.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:38 am
Just Joined

i was quoted R40,000 for a 40" container but I work in the shipping industry so will prob do it myself. R24,000 for the dog and cat and a whopping R23,000.00 for my horse so maybe he will have to stay.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

wow, yeah hectic. Fortunately I have no animals and we sadly had to re home the horse a couple of years ago. My daughter is already researching stabling, horses, tack costs in the UK and boy has she had a shock. But, I know my daughter and I think replacing the horse is her number one priority... she will just have to get a darn good job to pay the bills.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:50 am
Just Joined

At least in the Uk its easier to rent land or share with other horse owners. I know livery is expensive xx let me know how your quotes look
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Will do. I may need to tell Jaimie-Lee that all her HQ and riding books may need to come out...hehehe.. she would no doubt come back with 'nope your silk quilt can come out'... I know that as we will be doing a 'shared container', it will be a few months before the stuff gets to us but I am not too phased by that. Part of the fun will be unpacking when it does arrive or utter panic about where I will put the few bits I am taking. I pray for a rental that will have a garage or a shed!!!

I have no doubt that Jaimie will find a stables very quickly that she can 'trade' on. She is an excellent rider and instructor can handle any 'steed' she is put on so she will happily trade her skills for the chance to ride until she can get her own horse again.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Good luck please keep me posted
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jenny. Well Brenda came to see me yesterday and I received the quote today. Falls within my budget YAY. I am going to be doing the self packing route, and will have nothing unpacked on the UK side. So R10,000 for a 3 cubic mtr load is brilliant. In fact it means I can put a few extra things in cos I currently sit at about 2 cubic mtrs. But I am still not going to go crazy cos it still has to be put somewhere when it arrives.

Jessica is seeing her friend on Thursday who may have a house to rent for us, so here's holding thumbs for that meeting. It is about time that something 'goes my way'.

Will keep you up dated.