Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Move back to UK? Husband unhappy with canadian IT companies

Move back to UK? Husband unhappy with canadian IT companies

Old Oct 27th 2014, 3:15 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice
Default Move back to UK? Husband unhappy with canadian IT companies

I (Canadian) desperately need help. My husband (British-Scottish) has been living in Canada for the past 4.5 years and he has yet to find a job that he is happy with.

He works in the IT industry as a programmer and has worked at 4 different companies - each time choosing to leave. We currently live in Nova Scotia, but if this newest job doesn't work out he wants to move back to the UK. I don't know if moving back to Scotland will really solve any of his problems. I have no problem moving, but it's a big deal. A move within Canada would be easier, but he wants to move to Scotland. I don't want to move and have him still be unhappy with the companies he works with.

His biggest complaint about all of his jobs are the passive aggressiveness of his co-workers.

Any advice and thoughts appreciated!
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:35 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move back to UK? Husband unhappy with canadian IT companies

I've just spent 8 years in Canada and have been known to tell European friends that Passive-Aggressiveness is a Canadian character trait.

Having said that, my OH was very happy in his work, but then he is a Canadian.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

His experiences might be different in other parts of Canada.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 5:59 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

True, but in that case the stewards on Air Canada must mostly be recruited in Alberta.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 6:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, how was he when he worked in the UK?

From your post is it likely that 'he' will always have issues with the Canadian workplace & whether he changes professions, do you think that would solve the issue he has?

My suggestion is talk it out & if his work life and home life, including making you also, is so miserable, then the option is 'return home' to see if he can adjust to the workplace there. Maybe its not just the workplace - could it be 'he is missing back home'?

Its only money - the $10,000 cure to ping-pong across the pond, or half that to move to another location in Canada.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

I worked as a programmer in Calgary for 14 years, in start-ups as well as medium and large companies. Almost everybody I worked with was easy to get along with. This included locals as well as people from many other countries. Overall the attitude of the people I worked with was not noticeably different from my experience in IT in Britain.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Adriane is on a distinguished road

My hubby is an IT professional, with many years experience, and from what I understand, there would be much better places for IT work such as Calgary, Ottawa and Toronto. I had often wanted to try living in Vancouver but my husband claims the IT work is much better in Calgary. It is a very professional city. Can your husband start job hunting in these cities?
Nova Scotia is stunning, but if I told my husband he should get work there he would laugh at me. (We are living overseas right now, but he will be happy to work in Calgary again, he worked there for at least 10years, ending 6 mos ago)

Last edited by Adriane; Oct 27th 2014 at 10:12 pm. Reason: More detail
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
True, but in that case the stewards on Air Canada must mostly be recruited in Alberta.

Old Oct 29th 2014, 3:55 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Its the seniority BS here that drives me insane
Old Oct 29th 2014, 5:14 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Its the seniority BS here that drives me insane
I'm having a senior moment - what are you on about?
Old Oct 29th 2014, 5:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexisatk
I (Canadian) desperately need help. My husband (British-Scottish) has been living in Canada for the past 4.5 years and he has yet to find a job that he is happy with.

He works in the IT industry as a programmer and has worked at 4 different companies - each time choosing to leave. We currently live in Nova Scotia, but if this newest job doesn't work out he wants to move back to the UK. I don't know if moving back to Scotland will really solve any of his problems. I have no problem moving, but it's a big deal. A move within Canada would be easier, but he wants to move to Scotland. I don't want to move and have him still be unhappy with the companies he works with.

His biggest complaint about all of his jobs are the passive aggressiveness of his co-workers.

Any advice and thoughts appreciated!
A difficult situation for you and your husband, Alexis. I tend to agree with not2old, it may be plain and simple homesickness that is preventing your husband from settling and enjoying any of the jobs he's had.

If he was happy and got along with co-workers in his previous job/jobs in the UK, then he's probably not a hard person to work with and I'd have thought that he would have rubbed along ok with his co-workers in at least one of those 4 jobs. I know that different nationalities are said to have particular characteristics, and perhaps they do, but your husband has been working in another first world country with colleagues in the same field - I'm not sure that the cultural differences would be so great that they alone would account for his dissatisfaction with the jobs.

Before he ups stakes, and you along with it, I think he needs to do some deep thinking and talking about what the problem is. Once that's clear to you both, you can hopefully move forward with a solution/s.

You're probably already aware of this, but just in case - the regulations for a UK citizen bringing their non-EU partner to live in the UK changed in 2012 - the financial requirement is more stringent now. Just something to be aware of.

Wishing you the best of luck.