Decision Made??

Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Laura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud of
Default Re: Decision Made??

If he's turning 12 before next September, then I would think he would be put into the first year of senior school. That's a good time to start, as the kids will probably have come from a bunch of different junior schools and be at different levels. It's always going to be a bit tough starting mid-year, though. Have you contacted any schools about places?

As for being behind, I really don't know. I think you'll just have to be ready to give extra support if necessary.

Best wishes

Laura
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel and Kiwidollie.

Good on you for making the decision that you arent going to be miserable any more. That is what has happened to me. My flight is tomorrow, and the sooner it is done the better.
I wish you all the best
Whisky
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whisky
Rachel and Kiwidollie.

Good on you for making the decision that you arent going to be miserable any more. That is what has happened to me. My flight is tomorrow, and the sooner it is done the better.
I wish you all the best
Whisky
All the best Whisky
wish i was on that plane with you...maybe after Christmas though so not too far behind.
Merry Christmas
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, emigrating really puts relationships to the test, doesn't it. I know you all have your own individual reasons for going back 'alone' but I have to say, it must take a lot of inner strength to do that - two massive changes in one step. Best of luck to all of you in the next chapter of your lives.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Same here - we've just been sat out at lunchtime on St Kilda beach - hubby been sent home yet again from work!

Beautiful sunny day, not a cloud in the sky - lovely clear blue sea. But it's cost us so much financially that it just isn't worth it. We're skint so are off home to the cold damp weather to earn some money so that we can start living again. It does depend of what job you are in as to whether you can afford to live here.
My last eveing in Melbourne was spent at St Kilda Beach (in Soul Mama veggie restaurant). It was awesome, beautiful orange sunset over the bay, palm trees fluttering in the breeze, out with a crowd of friends. God I felt sick at the thought of leaving - excited and sick - but just had to take a leap of faith. No real regrets but still feeling very unsettled. What 'burb are you living in Louise?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Laura in China
Is your son 11 turning 12 this year, or was he 10 in September and has turned 11 since then?

Laura
My son is 11 turning 12 in April next year - I think he will be in Year 7. Already got family back in UK to get the appropriate curriculam books needed as we have booked our flights for 18th January Now we are both crapping ourselves and keep saying "are we doing the right thing??" Well we got our passports so we can always come back if it is not right for us.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:39 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
My last eveing in Melbourne was spent at St Kilda Beach (in Soul Mama veggie restaurant). It was awesome, beautiful orange sunset over the bay, palm trees fluttering in the breeze, out with a crowd of friends. God I felt sick at the thought of leaving - excited and sick - but just had to take a leap of faith. No real regrets but still feeling very unsettled. What 'burb are you living in Louise?
Hi there HP we are in Sandringham. St Kilda is lovely isn't it. Funny but we didn't really like it that much when we first arrived, but we just love it now. I work in Elwood so can easily get to the beach at lunchtimes. We love going to Acland St and Fizroy St for something to eat. Do you remember the Greek restaurant on the front at all - don't know if you heard but it burned down a few weeks ago.

I think I'll feel exactly the same when I leave, as it really is a beautiful place and I totally agree with you about the lovely sunsets across the bay - beautiful.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

KiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to all

All the best Whiskey. Enjoy your flight home and a big 'Welcome Back' for when you arrive.

It's absolutely true that emigrating puts relationships to the test. My husband and I had been together for 24 years, married for 19.

We had been plodding along ok in the UK but I realised when we were over in NZ that one of the reasons we were ok was because I got such a lot of emotional support from my family and friends. I used to go to them to have my soul fed (for want of a better phrase) and then life was ok with my husband.

Once it was just us I realised that we simply didn't have enough of an emotional connection to keep us going. We had just come to the end of our road. Once I had accepted things for what they were, not what I wanted them to be the decision was made - I was coming home and my marriage was over.

I am really happy with my life now. I have a new job and am renting a lovely house for me and the kids and I'm back within the bossom of my family. Some days though it's like a tidal wave just washes over me and knocks me for six and I can't do anything but cry. It's like I'm grieving for something but I'm not quite sure what it is.

Don't know if any of that makes sense but that's just how things are for me.

I see things much clearer now and appreciate things so much more than I did. It certainly did me good to go through the process of emigrating. I'm a much more contented person now.

Cheers x
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Hi there HP we are in Sandringham. St Kilda is lovely isn't it. Funny but we didn't really like it that much when we first arrived, but we just love it now. I work in Elwood so can easily get to the beach at lunchtimes. We love going to Acland St and Fizroy St for something to eat. Do you remember the Greek restaurant on the front at all - don't know if you heard but it burned down a few weeks ago.

I think I'll feel exactly the same when I leave, as it really is a beautiful place and I totally agree with you about the lovely sunsets across the bay - beautiful.
Saandringham is lovely. We've been looking at houses in Beaumaris over the weekend (on the internet of course!)

I did go to that Greek place once.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareEdm
Are most people here returning to the UK from OZ or NZ ?or maybe i have missed the ones that are returning after emirgrating to Canada ??
i came to Canada 6 months ago to be with my canadian fiancee but im very homesick and am worried that it wont ever feel like home
i wonder how many people have emirgrated to Canada then returned to the UK then decided that Canada was where they wanted to be afterall and returned again ??
im hoping it will have this affect on me when i go back to the UK at christmas...
There are 2.5 times as many Brits in Australia and NZ than in Canada so correspondingly there will be more returning. Not sure what the percentage terms are for each nation - probably about the same. I would give Canada more than 6 months, personally. I have read some people on here talking about going back because they don't like it in Aus/NZ/Can - and they have reached this decision on some cases after just a few weeks!

Gotta give a new country at least a couple of years, no? Ans the UK isn't going anywhere.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 11:04 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
There are 2.5 times as many Brits in Australia and NZ than in Canada so correspondingly there will be more returning. Not sure what the percentage terms are for each nation - probably about the same. I would give Canada more than 6 months, personally. I have read some people on here talking about going back because they don't like it in Aus/NZ/Can - and they have reached this decision on some cases after just a few weeks!

Gotta give a new country at least a couple of years, no? Ans the UK isn't going anywhere.
Maybe not, but your sanity and money are