CV Querry

Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Legin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CV Querry

I live in the US but plan on sending some CVs out to the UK and Ireland. My mailing address and other personal information are obviously US so Im concerned that employers will assume that I would need a work visa and other such things, and consequently wont be interested because its extra work for them and whatever. But I dont need any of those things because Im a citizen of an EU country. So should I mention this somewhere on the CV? Im trying to get some interviews lined up at a minimum, or a job offer would be ideal, of course before I move.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

loubol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CV Querry

If you've got an EU work permit because you're a citizen of an EU country, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's probably advisable to put it on your CV as well as your nationality, plus don't forget to mention it on any cover letter you send out with your CV.

Most application forms these days actually have a tick box on them asking if you will require a work permit or not so obviously you'd need to tick "no I don't" on that.

If you're firing off your CV to headhunters and agencies, I suggest you also e-mail them to mention your permit situation if there's no possibility to do it on an automated web form.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Legin
I live in the US but plan on sending some CVs out to the UK and Ireland. My mailing address and other personal information are obviously US so Im concerned that employers will assume that I would need a work visa and other such things, and consequently wont be interested because its extra work for them and whatever. But I dont need any of those things because Im a citizen of an EU country. So should I mention this somewhere on the CV? Im trying to get some interviews lined up at a minimum, or a job offer would be ideal, of course before I move.
I'm going back from Canada and have found the job market cold due to the fact I am applying from abroad, even when I have outlined my return in the cover letter.

I'm changing my address from now on to a family address in the UK.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Legin is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, thanks. How do I get an EU work permit, though?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, thanks. How do I get an EU work permit, though?
You don't need one if you are a citizen of an EU member state. However you might want to go to the trouble of getting an EEA residence permit anyway, as it will make UK permanent resident status easier to obtain.

This is important, for example, you want your UK born children to be British citizens, of if you plan to apply for naturalisation.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

If you are leaving the US but just have a green card and are not a US citizen, make sure you full understand the likely loss of your green card if you move to live elsewhere.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 10th 2005 at 7:50 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:06 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

At the top of the CV, where you have your personal details - name, address (whether UK or US), etc, I'd simply put another heading, 'Nationality' (or 'Nationalities', if that is the case). To make it crystal clear, you could even follow that with another heading and text, 'Work permit: none required (citizen of an EU country)', or something like that.

As noted above, it might be a good idea to mention this also in any covering letter.