Current Uk job situation?

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:07 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Current Uk job situation?

Originally Posted by caledonia
thanks mate. to be honest I didnt worry too much about it when making our great ecscape plans because being in oz, I honestly thought it would be much like it had been when we left. the highlands has been booming over past few years and loads of english money coming up (no offence to my english comrades) but it has really shocked me the downturn. NEVER in a millin years did i think i'd struggle for work being well known in the area, loads of contacts etc. but if there's no work theres no work simple. I am prepared to do anything so i might need to be looking to be washing dishes in a hotel - although its now winter so they are empty too. most of the B&Bs now shut down for the winter, even the one next to MIL who used to get enough trade to keep a few rooms open all year long. she has not one single booking now until next May FFS!!! seesm folks dont have spare cash for a trip to rainy inverness no more.

its getting to be a bit like emigrating in reverse - you will need a good pot of money to set yourself up when you get back plus need to accept being botton of the pile again, taking p*ss jobs for p*ss money and climbing your way back up. and sitting up allnight worrying about it like me ha ha!! so anyone out there in the hihglands - geeza job - i can do that. sorry, had a few beeers to numb the pain. if yous think their is any chance at all you will want to go back to oz, think v serously about coming back at least until thinks are on the up again. good luck ppeeps
You sound so fed up! It doesn't help at all having no work and living with the in-laws, that is a recipe for disaster for anyone.
I know that when we came to Perth we lived with the in-laws for 7 weeks. That made me regret coming to Perth in the first place, i hated every minute of it. Then finding work...jeez!!!!! nightmare.
But we get through it eventually, we have to give it time to re-adjust, just like they say when we get here 'give it afew years'.
No way will i live with in-laws again, or even my family..to make it work we will rent our own place when we get back, otherwise i know we will regret coming back.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:10 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Cheers guys,

That's the problem tho. If at least one of us doesn't have a job to go back to it means only one thing - eating into our house deposit until we do get work.
Pete - I hear what your saying about recruiters. Hubbie had his phone interview 4- 5 weeks ago now and yet we've heard NOTHING back from them.The recruitment agent is being very cagey about it so don't know if they're just stringing hubbie along or what.
SIGH - it was all ticking along nicely.

Still, soon enough I'll be sittin in on a Saturday night watchin X factor, talkin to mates on the phone, eatin M&S sandwiches and hopefully this will all just be a bad dream!

Not long 'til snuggledom Pete!! ;o)
Pearly - there are always nursing jobs coming up so you won't have a problem if you are willing to do general while you wait for a sexual health job to come up.
Best of luck with the move home
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

LillyB will become famous soon enoughLillyB will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi guys.

Anyone else having problems finding work in the Uk prior to or on their return??

We are - and I'm a nurse and hubbie works in insurance. He's been told by recruitment agents that Uk employers are being very slow and cautious in the light of what's going on just now. He had a phone interview about 4 weeks ago and although the recruiter says the company IS interested in him, they are taking their time in moving on to the next step.
So frustrating as we are booked to leave here in 12 weeks time and don't know if we have jobs to go back to. I also don't know where else we'd have to start looking if the Yorkshire workscene doesn't improve!
Anyone else having the same problems?
Hi personally I think job situ is much the same as over there, my daughter in law is traing to be a nurse she finishes in March, but no guarantee of permenant position, yet the Nursing Agencies are busy, no one wants NHS pay etc;
Not sure how long you have been over there, but insurqnce is not like it used to be with door step collectors all done via the internet now.
hope you get fixed up
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LillyB
Hi personally I think job situ is much the same as over there, my daughter in law is traing to be a nurse she finishes in March, but no guarantee of permenant position, yet the Nursing Agencies are busy, no one wants NHS pay etc;
Not sure how long you have been over there, but insurqnce is not like it used to be with door step collectors all done via the internet now.
hope you get fixed up

Hi Guys,

Anyone know which nursing agencies are the popular ones at present?
When we left the UK in 2006, agency work had pretty much dried up altogether....we'll be returning to E Anglia/ Essex.....maybe even London if we can't find work elsewhere....