Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Container Problems - Vancouver to UK

Container Problems - Vancouver to UK

Old Sep 11th 2021, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Container Problems - Vancouver to UK

Originally Posted by MrCheeky
It's unfortunate that you are having such a hassle with the shipping. My wife and I are conducting research as we will be moving to the UK next spring and will be shipping out of Vancouver as well. I believe that the quote of five weeks to arrive in UK is overly optimistic at best and outright fraudulent at worst. For example, I have a quote from Seven Seas Worldwide advising that to ship from Vancouver to Shropshire is estimated at 95 to 115 days. That seems to be a more accurate estimate given the numerous variables involved.

We plan to ship to a storage facility and utilize an AirBnB/VRBO that will hopefully smooth the transition to rental accommodation.

Congratulations on the move. Enjoy your new life in the UK!
That’s why we left Canada. We lost all confidence in them as a Country. Canada has so much going for it but such awful leadership. They should be one of the richest countries in the world but have not realized their their true potential. Nothing surprises me since I lived there.

There are others I have spoken with in a very similar situations some far worse than us.

Yes we are enjoying our new life. Not having to overpay for everything is quite refreshing especially food, insurance etc. I am not surprised there are so many homeless in Canada how an earth can ordinary people afford to live there and the drug issues seem way out of control, let alone the daily gangland shootings.

Last edited by getoutofbritainquick; Sep 11th 2021 at 9:27 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 4:02 am
Just Joined

NeoBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved back to the UK at the end of April. My goods left my condo in Ontario in mid April and I still have not received them. I think the pandemic has messed up almost all shipments all over the world. The relocation company I have used has been great at giving me updates and so I was not worried too much. After having stuck at the Canadian port for 4 months, my goods are finally arriving at the UK port. However, there is another challenge from here. I have already been informed by the relocation agent that it will take time for my goods to be delivered to my flat in London due to the shortage of HGV drivers in the UK. I am hoping I will have my goods in coming weeks.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 11:25 am
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just received an update. Our shipping container has been delayed leaving Vancouver by one month. Not disastrous as we don’t move into our house until the end of January (so we will save on storage costs). We did receive the name of the vessel which we can track although I am not sure my stress level can handle that, lol. Currently on its way to LA from Columbia.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

NeoBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

The same here. Since my last post on 14 Sep, there had been a further delay and my goods only arrived at the UK port last week. I believe the container ship was waiting in a queue. My agent then told me it would take 2-3 weeks to go through the customs. I also did not have much issue with these delays as I was having my flat refurbished. However, I now need my staff as I did not bring any winter clothes with me. At least, I should be able to manage with what I have right now as I am no longer in Canada!
Old Oct 13th 2021, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Vaseepoo is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been quoted transit 8-20 weeks for a Groupage via shared container, and they recommended aprox. 10 weeks would be typical timing right now. Does that match what you are experiencing?

All three moving companies we spoke with recommended going via groupage as the exclusive containers aren't getting out of ports any quicker right now so there is really no benefit to paying that premium.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

I have just received an update with our container expected arrival date today. It’s been 3 months since we left Vancouver and we have had to make do with borrowed furniture etc.
Our container is due to arrive in the UK on the 27th October which is approx. 7 weeks in total since being taken to port after many delays.
The onward transport agent in the UK is Britannia and they have not indicated any further delays with customs and transport. That is not to say there won’t be any.
Fingers crossed!
Old Oct 13th 2021, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

There is huge delays at felixstowe just now.
Its been on the news on the radio a few times today.
They had to re direct a container ship as they have no room to empty the container ships at felixstowe.
Mines has been in felixstowe at customs for a month now. still waiting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...s-58888552.amp

driver shortage seems to be the blame for eveything just now in the UK
Old Oct 13th 2021, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jarv5116
There is huge delays at felixstowe just now.
Its been on the news on the radio a few times today.
They had to re direct a container ship as they have no room to empty the container ships at felixstowe.
Mines has been in felixstowe at customs for a month now. still waiting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...s-58888552.amp

driver shortage seems to be the blame for eveything just now in the UK
Quite frankly I blame the government. They seem totally ignorant of current problems and sitting on their back sides doing err nothing.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Quite frankly I blame the government. They seem totally ignorant of current problems and sitting on their back sides doing err nothing.
What do you blame the government for?
Old Oct 13th 2021, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jarv5116
What do you blame the government for?
Lack of contingency planning. Current world leaders are a joke. The global economy is not in a good place at the moment. China has become too powerful due to the West’s greed. Too much stupid politics and the big boys ripping the public off once again. A great way to end a crisis is to create new ones. Just what the world needs right now. British media creating panic when ever it can. So glad I have retired.