Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Container Problems - Vancouver to UK

Container Problems - Vancouver to UK

Old Aug 30th 2021, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Container Problems - Vancouver to UK

Anyone having issues with container delivery from Vancouver to the UK?

We moved back to the UK nearly 5 weeks ago and was expecting delivery of our container from Vancouver next week. I contacted the removal company to find out when our container would arrive and was stunned to find it has not left Vancouver yet. We were informed it was not scheduled to leave until at least 3rd September due to container backlog problems at the port. This was news to us and we had not been informed of the delay since we left Vancouver. We were told it would be delivered in about 5 weeks when we moved out.

We have just moved into our new house and had to borrow a few essential items from neighbors and buy many items we already have in our container. We also only brought summer clothing with us as we thought our belongings would have arrived long before the fall.

Not a good start to our new life in the UK. We left Canada for a reason and it appears we still can’t get away from their incompetence.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 5:28 am
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Container Problems - Vancouver to UK

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick

We moved back to the UK nearly 5 weeks ago and was expecting delivery of our container from Vancouver next week. I contacted the removal company to find out when our container would arrive and was stunned to find it has not left Vancouver yet. We were informed it was not scheduled to leave until at least 3rd September due to container backlog problems at the port. This was news to us and we had not been informed of the delay since we left Vancouver. We were told it would be delivered in about 5 weeks when we moved out.

We have just moved into our new house and had to borrow a few essential items from neighbors and buy many items we already have in our container. We also only brought summer clothing with us as we thought our belongings would have arrived long before the fall.

Not a good start to our new life in the UK. We left Canada for a reason and it appears we still can’t get away from their incompetence.

We have a call in with our moving company on Wednesday so I will let you know how it goes. Our stuff isn’t due to be shipped out until September (end of).
Old Sep 1st 2021, 2:36 am
vh3
Forum Regular

we had a call with our company today. Everything is getting picked up next Wed in Kelowna. We reckon it will be nearer 90 days before we see our stuff again. Although we were warned it could take a little longer.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
we had a call with our company today. Everything is getting picked up next Wed in Kelowna. We reckon it will be nearer 90 days before we see our stuff again. Although we were warned it could take a little longer.
Fingers crossed ours is supposed to leave on the 3rd September but we haven’t had confirmation yet. They were also Jon committal about it arriving in 5 weeks as well! It’s not very pleasant not having most of you life’s possessions in a new house!

I hope it goes better for you.

The only reason we moved to Canada was to live in Kelowna. We fell in love with the Kettle Valley area in Upper Mission but for some reason, primarily work related we never managed to get there to live. We visited lots of times and always enjoyed the Okanagan region.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

I shipped a container from NZ in May.
Still waiting was suppose be here in July.
Then August
now 19th of September.
Been stuck in Malaysia for 2 months.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jarv5116
I shipped a container from NZ in May.
Still waiting was suppose be here in July.
Then August
now 19th of September.
Been stuck in Malaysia for 2 months.
Our container was supposed to be shipped on the 3rd September after numerous delays. I called our removal company to confirm the shipment had left Vancouver (they said they would call me with a status update and didn’t yet again) and was informed it was delayed at the very last moment for yet another week. All we are getting are excuses and nobody seems to be accountable. It’s a complete shambles.
We have no idea when our shipment will
leave let alone be delivered.
Its cost us a small fortune to get the basics to live and we are now going into the Autumn and winter months with only summer clothes.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There have been many problems at the Vancouver port, as well as at ports all over.

First off, that huge ship got stuck in the Suez Canal, if you remember that. That meant there is a huge shortage of containers in the right places.

Second, the huge wild fires in Canada has held up transport of goods to the Pacific Coast ports ............. and yes, I know your stuff started off here but the ships are having to wait in the harbour and English Bay for all their loads to arrive.

It's been in all the news here for weeks.

Don't get so frazzled .................. we once had a container take 6 MONTHS to get from the UK to Vancouver. It was sent via Burma
Old Sep 4th 2021, 3:22 am
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scilly
There have been many problems at the Vancouver port, as well as at ports all over.

First off, that huge ship got stuck in the Suez Canal, if you remember that. That meant there is a huge shortage of containers in the right places.

Second, the huge wild fires in Canada has held up transport of goods to the Pacific Coast ports ............. and yes, I know your stuff started off here but the ships are having to wait in the harbour and English Bay for all their loads to arrive.

Don't get so frazzled .................. we once had a container take 6 MONTHS to get from the UK to Vancouver. It was sent via Burma
we are expecting a timeline of at least 90 days and after that fingers crossed. It gives us time to buy so where without the added cost of storage.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scilly

I know there were some issues with the ship stuck in the canal. However, our stuff was loaded onto a container this week (so no issues with containers) but the ECD was changed at the very last moment meaning the container couldn’t be dropped off at the port of Vancouver and is stuck at the removal companies warehouse.

We were not informed of any delays by our shipper until enquired about its delivery date after 5 weeks which they said it would take.

The problem does not appear to be stuff arriving at the ports but a huge backlog of containers stuck at the ports across the globe.

I have not seen anything about this issue on the UK news but I did google the global problem on CNN dated Aug 23rd which is worth checking out. It’s seems the problem is getting worse and not likely to resolve itself into 2022 which is not good for people hoping to ship their goods either to Canada or elsewhere. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/23/b...ing/index.html

So please be aware.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Our container was supposed to be shipped on the 3rd September after numerous delays. I called our removal company to confirm the shipment had left Vancouver (they said they would call me with a status update and didn’t yet again) and was informed it was delayed at the very last moment for yet another week. All we are getting are excuses and nobody seems to be accountable. It’s a complete shambles.
We have no idea when our shipment will
leave let alone be delivered.
Its cost us a small fortune to get the basics to live and we are now going into the Autumn and winter months with only summer clothes.
Yep I have been in the same boat since the 5th of may.
I feel the pain aswell.
Thing is once you have departed the country and in UK. everthing is alot harder to track and keep on top off.
Waiting on beds for months. Sleeping on Air beds.
Me and misses couldn't take it anymore and went down charity shop last week and bought a bed for 100 quid. Got a bargain aswell might just keep this bed now lol John Lewis super dupper mattress for 100 quid cost 1500 new lmao. like brand new aswell.
I'm proper pissed off with it all.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 5:58 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I know there were some issues with the ship stuck in the canal. However, our stuff was loaded onto a container this week (so no issues with containers) but the ECD was changed at the very last moment meaning the container couldn’t be dropped off at the port of Vancouver and is stuck at the removal companies warehouse.

We were not informed of any delays by our shipper until enquired about its delivery date after 5 weeks which they said it would take.

The problem does not appear to be stuff arriving at the ports but a huge backlog of containers stuck at the ports across the globe.

I have not seen anything about this issue on the UK news but I did google the global problem on CNN dated Aug 23rd which is worth checking out. It’s seems the problem is getting worse and not likely to resolve itself into 2022 which is not good for people hoping to ship their goods either to Canada or elsewhere. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/23/b...ing/index.html

So please be aware.
Another issue which may have a long term impact on costs and shipping times is that shipping companies now have to factor in environmental and sustainability regulations into their operations.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Vaseepoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask which moving companies you used? Would you recommend them given the issues (e.g. are they communicating with you well?) or stay well clear?
Old Sep 8th 2021, 4:14 am
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vaseepoo
Can I ask which moving companies you used? Would you recommend them given the issues (e.g. are they communicating with you well?) or stay well clear?
We are using Armstrong. So far they have been good at communicating with us. Goods picked up tomorrow, shipper booked for October 12 and we will be provided with a tracking number so we know where our stuff is. Fingers crossed it all works out.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vaseepoo
I are using Astra International in Burnaby. I am always having to chase them for information and other details. I had know idea of the delays, when they took our belongings I was told it would take 5 weeks to arrive in the UK. So I called them after 5 weeks only to find out our belongings were still in Vancouver.
Our shipping date is constantly changing every week. Today is the latest ECD date (last container to port date) but I am not optimistic. I have also found them to be very condescending with responses e.g it is taking up our warehouse space, others are in the same boat, you are lucky you are not being charged for storage, it’s a global issue and we can’t do anything about it and so on.
They say they will keep me updated but don’t and I have to contact them to get an update.
To answer your question I wouldn’t go near these again. No tracking number and very poor service.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

MrCheeky is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told it would take 5 weeks to arrive in the UK.
It's unfortunate that you are having such a hassle with the shipping. My wife and I are conducting research as we will be moving to the UK next spring and will be shipping out of Vancouver as well. I believe that the quote of five weeks to arrive in UK is overly optimistic at best and outright fraudulent at worst. For example, I have a quote from Seven Seas Worldwide advising that to ship from Vancouver to Shropshire is estimated at 95 to 115 days. That seems to be a more accurate estimate given the numerous variables involved.

We plan to ship to a storage facility and utilize an AirBnB/VRBO that will hopefully smooth the transition to rental accommodation.

Congratulations on the move. Enjoy your new life in the UK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.