Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Considering a temporary move back to the UK

Considering a temporary move back to the UK

Old Apr 21st 2016, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Considering a temporary move back to the UK

Hi all. I'm looking for opinions/advice about possibly moving back to the UK for a short period of time.
I currently live in Alberta, Canada. I've been here for 10 years and am a Canadian citizen so don't have to worry about maintaining residency requirements for a visa. I haven't worked here for over a year now; first I was signed off on medical leave, then when given the OK to return to work I was laid off due to working in the oil and gas industry and the downturn in the economy. I've been actively looking for work since September, but there is very little coming up that I am able to do (my background is reception/administrative mainly in oil and gas here in AB. In the UK my main work experience was in the airline industry). This is why I am considering a short term move back to the UK; to find work. I figure having a year or 2 of working abroad on my resume would be better than a gap of a year plus, even though with the economy the way it is a gap wouldn't be unexpected.
At this point I am just trying to work out whether this would be a viable option. I would be aiming to move back to the SE of England so I could live with my parents or sister so as not to have to pay much (if anything) in rent. I want to spend as little money as possible on this move, and as little as possible while I'm there. The whole point of this would be a way to get me and my boyfriend back on our feet after a really crappy financial year, and to give me a fighting chance of actually finding a job.
My boyfriend would not be joining me, he has kids here. Moving elsewhere in Canada is not an option at this time either; too much capital outlay that we just don't have. While me going back to the UK may seem like an extreme reaction, it actually could work out to be the most viable, cost effective option.
So, with all that in mind, what do you guys think? Do I stand a reasonable chance of finding employment over there? I really haven't paid much attention to the job market and economy there as I haven't really considered moving back (in the last 4 years anyway). This is not a decision I am taking lightly and of course I am doing other research too, but getting opinions from fellow expats who have relocated back to the UK will help my decision process.
TIA
Old Apr 21st 2016, 9:31 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering a temporary move back to the UK

Unemployment is at record lows in the UK, but wages are often low. I suggest that while you are still in Canada, you check out job vacancies in your field and maybe contact a few possible employers, to get a feel of what your chances are.

You have an advantage in having accommodation available in the SE. That's where most of the jobs are, but where it is most difficult to find somewhere to live.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure what unemployment stats looked liked over there, so that is good news
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of jobs available here in South Bucks so you should be ok. Go for it!