Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

considering moving back but to where --- Cardiff or Edinburgh

considering moving back but to where --- Cardiff or Edinburgh

Old Mar 14th 2023, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: considering moving back but to where --- Cardiff or Edinburgh

im finding that city centre Liverpool seems to all be pushing for you to buy units for investments only,, basically none a very little mortgage which we could do but I don't fancy living in a building full of students.... so we might give Liverpool a miss, Edinburgh is looking more and more appealing... it has a lot going on.... we are really not wanting to have a mortgage which will most likely mean we would buy an apartment/flat first........ I still have a UK credit card which I use sometimes and my credit score is good but Im concerned it might be hard to get a mortgage even if lets say I bought with a 75% deposit, I wouldn't have gotten a job yet.... so no mortgage would be better...
Old Mar 15th 2023, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of credit score, I don't believe you will be able to get a mortgage without showing how you will make the payments, i.e. job or other secure income.

Liverpool will have lots of ordinary residential accommodation, but agree you should be wary of properties being marketed as investments. Edinburgh is a nice city.
Old Apr 1st 2023, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Edinburgh. Best capital city in the world in my opinion, but then I do love Scotland...
Old Apr 5th 2023, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
I used to have another ID Celine_uk but I recently changed the password and now can't get in lol shame I've had it for 20 Years

so my partner who is also an immigrant ( he is Chinese, I'm British ) we are considering selling up here in Toronto and moving to the UK ( he's never lived there, - I will need to sponsor him or he can get a youth mobility visa to start things off as he's under 30 - I'm curious what others think of this)

We are both done starting to feel DONE with Canada, and how the people just don't connect with us (FAKE). we are also getting upset with the crazy cost of living and house prices..I am lucky that I bought around 2015 when I first returned back from the UK... sad fact is I've been here 20 years and He has been here about 12.... he recently just got his Citizenship.....

to complicate matter this is not my first time trying to go home.... I did in 2014-2015 but life was very different for me then, I had recently got divorced and didn't have a lot of spare cash.... now if we sold up here we would walk away a large chunk of money..... my partner wants to start his own business, I work in pensions as a leader in client service. so I've been looking and there are many jobs I could do in the UK... I just don't know where.... I don't want to move to north east of England where Im from as even if I love my family I don't want them at my doorstep....... we are considering Edinburgh or Cardiff. I know Edinburgh but not Cardiff, so I'm curious about what others think... I am hoping to buy somewhere in cash ( flat or small house some where close to city centre or further out if we get more room), this will enable us to have way less pressure compared to Toronto where an avocado cost 2.99 each lol

id love to know what others think of both cities, cost of living, jobs.housing. tolerance for different races I'm white british he is Chinese ( we are also 2 guys).....

thanks so much everyone!
Hi, If I was in your shoes then I would choose Cardiff main reason is it’s easier to get to London either by train or car, also having visited both cities (especially Cardiff) I would choose Cardiff , the connection to say Bristol,Bath and to the south west by train is very easy so your not so isolated , the weather is slightly warmer and Cardiff is cheaper to buy than Edinburgh.
Old Apr 6th 2023, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

thanks everyone for your insights, ive never visited Cardiff so I don't have a feel for the place, it looks like we are considering Edinburgh more now, for a few reason, first reason I love the feel to the city and all of the interesting things there are to do there, also my family in the Newcastle area so its not so far....... we are going in July to check out some areas and properties within our price range......I will let you all know how it goes.... so happy to becoming home, Canada has been great but just feel like its time to move on from it and this time for the right reasons!
Old Apr 6th 2023, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds sensible.

Be aware that income tax rates are a little higher in Scotland than Wales (or England). Stamp duty rates on property purchase are also higher, and the buying process different (and arguably better, as it's more difficult for an agreed purchase to break down) - ask the estate agent this when making your visit.
Old Apr 8th 2023, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

If you visit near the end of July book hotels, attractions and tours, if planning any, now.

August is the busiest time in Edinburgh with the Fringe Festival (includes the Tattoo). It's an incredible experience and we love it, but everything gets booked up well in advance.
Old Apr 8th 2023, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
thanks everyone for your insights, ive never visited Cardiff so I don't have a feel for the place, it looks like we are considering Edinburgh more now, for a few reason, first reason I love the feel to the city and all of the interesting things there are to do there, also my family in the Newcastle area so its not so far....... we are going in July to check out some areas and properties within our price range......I will let you all know how it goes.... so happy to becoming home, Canada has been great but just feel like its time to move on from it and this time for the right reasons!
Do please keep us updated on your move. I’m particularly interested because, if Northern Ireland doesn’t work out, those two cities would be top of my list.
I lived in Edinburgh for 3 years as a student and agree it has a special feel to it that you don’t really find anywhere else in the UK.
The only drawback for me is the driving distance from a ferry port that would get us to France.
As you will know, there are lots of lovely big old apartments in Edinburgh. And I could be completely wrong but I always got the impression there were fewer problems with flat ownership in Scotland than in other parts of the UK. In terms of maintenance.

Best of luck in your adventure.
Old Apr 9th 2023, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

We will move back to Scotland next year and, like you, are making a look-see trip in the summer but in the Angus area, even though my husband is Scottish, so he knows Scotland well. I wouldn't live in Edinburgh even though I love visiting when we go over yearly until Covid hit. It is very expensive and has a bad drug problem, especially in the centre. There are many lovely towns, very close to Edinburgh and they have excellent connections for travel. As for travelling to London, flying is a good and faster alternative to the railway. I have a friend who does fly from London to Scotland several times a year with her kids. And the cost is comparable to the rail. Weatherwise, it's dryer than West Coast. In the summer, they have what is called Haar, basically sea mist. It will last several hours, and you think the day will be terrible, but then the sun comes out! We were caught out by this quite a few times when we lived there, and ending up with some very sunburnt kids!
I haven't visited Cardiff in over 20 yrs, but I can imagine it has improved and was good then. I liked Cardiff when we visited, as we lived in Newport then. It is damper than Edinburgh but no more so than the rest of the UK, to be honest. Lots of lovely places to visit and travelling to London, Bristol and Bath is so easy.