Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

considering moving back but to where --- Cardiff or Edinburgh

considering moving back but to where --- Cardiff or Edinburgh

Old Mar 7th 2023, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default considering moving back but to where --- Cardiff or Edinburgh

I used to have another ID Celine_uk but I recently changed the password and now can't get in lol shame I've had it for 20 Years

so my partner who is also an immigrant ( he is Chinese, I'm British ) we are considering selling up here in Toronto and moving to the UK ( he's never lived there, - I will need to sponsor him or he can get a youth mobility visa to start things off as he's under 30 - I'm curious what others think of this)

We are both done starting to feel DONE with Canada, and how the people just don't connect with us (FAKE). we are also getting upset with the crazy cost of living and house prices..I am lucky that I bought around 2015 when I first returned back from the UK... sad fact is I've been here 20 years and He has been here about 12.... he recently just got his Citizenship.....

to complicate matter this is not my first time trying to go home.... I did in 2014-2015 but life was very different for me then, I had recently got divorced and didn't have a lot of spare cash.... now if we sold up here we would walk away a large chunk of money..... my partner wants to start his own business, I work in pensions as a leader in client service. so I've been looking and there are many jobs I could do in the UK... I just don't know where.... I don't want to move to north east of England where Im from as even if I love my family I don't want them at my doorstep....... we are considering Edinburgh or Cardiff. I know Edinburgh but not Cardiff, so I'm curious about what others think... I am hoping to buy somewhere in cash ( flat or small house some where close to city centre or further out if we get more room), this will enable us to have way less pressure compared to Toronto where an avocado cost 2.99 each lol

id love to know what others think of both cities, cost of living, jobs.housing. tolerance for different races I'm white british he is Chinese ( we are also 2 guys).....

thanks so much everyone!

Old Mar 7th 2023, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: considering moving back but to where --- Cardiff or Edinburgh

I will need to sponsor him or he can get a youth mobility visa to start things off as he's under 30 - I'm curious what others think of this)

So, he'll apply for mobility visa as a Canadian?
Old Mar 7th 2023, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I will need to sponsor him or he can get a youth mobility visa to start things off as he's under 30 - I'm curious what others think of this)

So, he'll apply for mobility visa as a Canadian?
yes, he’ll apply as a Canadian if we take that route I was thinking he apply for the mobility visa so we can just go to the UK sort stuff out me here get a job, and then I sponsor him … If not, we will need to make sure we have enough money in the bank. I need to look up the process I don’t remember how much it is.

Last edited by celine_uk; Mar 7th 2023 at 3:09 am.
Old Mar 7th 2023, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ncl_toronto
yes, he’ll apply as a Canadian if we take that route I was thinking he apply for the mobility visa so we can just go to the UK sort stuff out me here get a job, and then I sponsor him … If not, we will need to make sure we have enough money in the bank. I need to look up the process I don’t remember how much it is.
Costs for a partner/spouse visa and other details:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa
Old Mar 8th 2023, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have another ID Celine_uk but I recently changed the password and now can't get in lol shame I've had it for 20 Years
Creating multiple user names is against site rule 16. I'm sure if you click "Contact us" (at the bottom of every screen) then the help desk can reset your password or even merge your accounts.

We visit my wife's sister and family in Edinburgh regularly and really like the place but I don't have a feel about the tolerance they may have to other races. It is also pretty easy (2 or 3 hours drive) to get to the NE of England to visit family. (I know just how you feel about loving your family but not wanting to live too close)

16. Mulitple Usernames
Creating multiple usernames is not allowed. If you have a legitimate reason to create a second username, maybe another household member joining, then you should contact the administrators. Anybody found with multiple member names will have their posting privileges removed and all associated member names will be deleted.
Old Mar 8th 2023, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Re Cardiff - we visit regularly as our daughter lives there. It seems to have good train access to many other cities and around where they live (Canton), there is a diverse and ethnically mixed range of pubs, restaurants etc which I presume reflects the local population. Lots of nice park spaces dotted around and the city centre is enhanced by the Victorian arcades which seem to house many flourishing businesses. I suspect it’s cheaper than Edinburgh but don’t have evidence to back that up. Lots of building, and updates going on and there elaborate plans proposed to connect the centre and Bay Area more effectively. Good access to lovely country and sea side too.
Old Mar 8th 2023, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Re Cardiff - we visit regularly as our daughter lives there. It seems to have good train access to many other cities and around where they live (Canton), there is a diverse and ethnically mixed range of pubs, restaurants etc which I presume reflects the local population. Lots of nice park spaces dotted around and the city centre is enhanced by the Victorian arcades which seem to house many flourishing businesses. I suspect it’s cheaper than Edinburgh but don’t have evidence to back that up. Lots of building, and updates going on and there elaborate plans proposed to connect the centre and Bay Area more effectively. Good access to lovely country and sea side too.
Good points and I suppose it depends what one wants. With Cardiff you would be closer to France and Spain if taking the ferry, so that could be an advantage and Edinburgh is just that bit more remote (which can be an advantage too). Both have great access to a National Park.
Old Mar 8th 2023, 6:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A password reset has been sent. Let me know if you're still having any troubles. Accounts can then be merged.
Old Mar 9th 2023, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for your reply, yeah I liked Cardiff for this very reason I also need to find out how good the trains are into London is I do like to visit and might end up having to go in a few times a month if I get a hybrid job...... when I look at prices compared to Edinburgh they are a little cheaper... and hmmm I wonder how different the weather is, both can be rainy but whatever I live in Toronto where we have 6 months of Snow so I can deal with it .......I am considering coming over for a visit to see what its like an even rent an airbnb in some of the locations I'm thinking about living in,... I just looked up Canton its so close!
Old Mar 9th 2023, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks Durham_lad yeah my family all live in Newcastle and some in Durham, the north east is cheap but id rather live somewhere else and lol I love how you understand about not being to close to family haha
Old Mar 9th 2023, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your reply, yeah I liked Cardiff for this very reason I also need to find out how good the trains are into London is I do like to visit and might end up having to go in a few times a month if I get a hybrid job...... when I look at prices compared to Edinburgh they are a little cheaper... and hmmm I wonder how different the weather is, both can be rainy but whatever I live in Toronto where we have 6 months of Snow so I can deal with it .......I am considering coming over for a visit to see what its like an even rent an airbnb in some of the locations I'm thinking about living in,... I just looked up Canton its so close!
If you’re looking for accommodation recommendation, we often stay at the Lincoln House Hotel on Cathedral Road - quiet but convenient to walk into the centre, and an excellent breakfast. Last time was under £100 per night inclusive for a double room.
Old Mar 13th 2023, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
A password reset has been sent. Let me know if you're still having any troubles. Accounts can then be merged.
Accounts have been merged, with a password reset on the Celine account. Let me know if you're still having trouble.
Old Mar 13th 2023, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Accounts have been merged, with a password reset on the Celine account. Let me know if you're still having trouble.

thanks so much, all well now
Old Mar 13th 2023, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Has anyone looked at liverpool in the city centre … i was just there and i liked the feel of the place… reasonably priced apartments right beside the docks
Old Mar 14th 2023, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

If travelling to London semi-frequently, Cardiff is 2 hours on the train and Edinburgh 4 1/2 hours, so a day trip is more practical from Cardiff. Fares probably cheaper also, but it's not always straight forward - what time and what day you're travelling and how far in advance you book all affect the price (should it be this complicated?).

My instinct is that property prices are higher in Edinburgh than Cardiff, but don't take this as fact.

I visited Liverpool recently; it seemed decent enough with lots of recent investment around the docks, which are within walking distance of the city centre and station. But it was only a short visit, so I barely scratched the surface.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.