Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Coming home in middle of Winter

Coming home in middle of Winter

Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Tapalinga is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Coming home in middle of Winter

Hi we have just sold our house, we live Northside of Brisbane,we are planning to return to UK either late Dec. or early part of Jan, there is just that nagging feeling that coming from sunshine to the cold and dark will be a bit of a shock to the system. Would be good to hear how any of you have coped with the change in the weather.
Keep warm. Tapas
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming home in middle of Winter

Originally Posted by Tapalinga
Hi we have just sold our house, we live Northside of Brisbane,we are planning to return to UK either late Dec. or early part of Jan, there is just that nagging feeling that coming from sunshine to the cold and dark will be a bit of a shock to the system. Would be good to hear how any of you have coped with the change in the weather.
Keep warm. Tapas
Hi Tapas
We came back just before Christmas last year (from Melbourne). We had left a very hot and sunny November & December. The first morning we woke up in the UK, there was frost on the cars and ground, the sky was blue and the landscape looked stunning. We did a lot of walking outdoors in December & Jan - breathing in crisp, clean, cool air - it was so different to the heat and dirty air of Melbourne. It wasn't a particularly bad winter as I recall and I didn't notice I was colder than anyone else in the UK (mind you I was 6 months pregnant when I got back and I actually wanted the cooler temps). I made sure that I brought my winter coat home on the plane with me - did look a bit odd at Melbourne airport clutching a long black coat with a huge furry collar, when everyone else was in singlets and shorts! Driving home from the airport, my first impression was how luch everything looked. In a nutshell, I really embraced the change in climate and the British winter.

How long have you been away?

Good luck
HP
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:15 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Keep warm. Tapas
We arrived back in March 2003 after a long (to us) hot summer in Brisbane, so it was spring here and it was fantastic, it was such a relief to get away from the 35 degree heat that we had had. We were lucky that in the first 6 weeks of us returning it only rained once, it certainly helped hubby adjust. It is one thing that I love about the UK and what I missed whilst in Oz is our four seasons, at the moment the trees are changing colour and living in the Lake district the colours are fantastic, it certainly makes me glad that I am here.

We boarded the plane in Brisbane in shorts and got changed into long trousers on arrival and it was great to feel a cool breeze on our faces as we walked out of Manchester airport. Strangely I still some nights stand with one of our upstairs windows open just breathing in the cool air, it reminds me how pleased I am to be home.

Susan
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
We arrived back in March 2003 after a long (to us) hot summer in Brisbane, so it was spring here and it was fantastic, it was such a relief to get away from the 35 degree heat that we had had. We were lucky that in the first 6 weeks of us returning it only rained once, it certainly helped hubby adjust. It is one thing that I love about the UK and what I missed whilst in Oz is our four seasons, at the moment the trees are changing colour and living in the Lake district the colours are fantastic, it certainly makes me glad that I am here.

We boarded the plane in Brisbane in shorts and got changed into long trousers on arrival and it was great to feel a cool breeze on our faces as we walked out of Manchester airport. Strangely I still some nights stand with one of our upstairs windows open just breathing in the cool air, it reminds me how pleased I am to be home.

Susan
Hi Susan, you're in the Lakes, you lucky thing!!

After all the rain we've had (which has been making me yearn for Oz a bit), today was beautiful here in north Cheshire - I went out for a 9 mile walk with the pram. Like you say, the colours of the leaves were amazing - wonderful golds, reds, oranges...all against a clear blue sky. The air was lovely and crisp. I do appreciate being able to enjoy the outdoors here without feeling like everything is a major effort because of the heat.

I think actually we're both lucky for each being in such a beautiful part of the UK.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:59 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Coming home in middle of Winter

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Susan, you're in the Lakes, you lucky thing!!

After all the rain we've had (which has been making me yearn for Oz a bit), today was beautiful here in north Cheshire - I went out for a 9 mile walk with the pram. Like you say, the colours of the leaves were amazing - wonderful golds, reds, oranges...all against a clear blue sky. The air was lovely and crisp. I do appreciate being able to enjoy the outdoors here without feeling like everything is a major effort because of the heat.

I think actually we're both lucky for each being in such a beautiful part of the UK.
Taking a child for a 9-mile walk in the British winter? You'd get arrested for child abuse in the States for that! My God, what do you think an SUV is for?

Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Keep warm. Tapas

We went for a month in February last year, do you remember december january february last year :scared: we got off that plane and damn near kissed the frosty ground. Its warm now but just fully experience the full blast of summer and an english winter will seem like paradise, you'll be fine.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Benny Hill is an unknown quantity at this point

No doubt about it. Get back for Xmas. There is no comparison especially if you have kids and family back in the UK. We are really looking forward to being back for xmas.

Good luck
Old Oct 28th 2004, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Tapalinga is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Coming home in middle of Winter

Hi hiddenpaw, we have been here for 21/2yrs, as i am sat typing this i have got the fan going because its up in the early 30's and very humid, i must admit the thought of seeing the frost again and cuddling up by a nice log fire is the only xmas present i want. Thanx for sharing your experience.
Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Tapas
We came back just before Christmas last year (from Melbourne). We had left a very hot and sunny November & December. The first morning we woke up in the UK, there was frost on the cars and ground, the sky was blue and the landscape looked stunning. We did a lot of walking outdoors in December & Jan - breathing in crisp, clean, cool air - it was so different to the heat and dirty air of Melbourne. It wasn't a particularly bad winter as I recall and I didn't notice I was colder than anyone else in the UK (mind you I was 6 months pregnant when I got back and I actually wanted the cooler temps). I made sure that I brought my winter coat home on the plane with me - did look a bit odd at Melbourne airport clutching a long black coat with a huge furry collar, when everyone else was in singlets and shorts! Driving home from the airport, my first impression was how luch everything looked. In a nutshell, I really embraced the change in climate and the British winter.

How long have you been away?

Good luck
HP
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:53 am
Just Joined

I am going to have the best birthday ever tomorrow. I am going HOME. I am sooo excited its ridiculous and its not even Xmas yet!!!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny Hill
I am going to have the best birthday ever tomorrow. I am going HOME. I am sooo excited its ridiculous and its not even Xmas yet!!!
Happy Birthday for tomorrow! Are you actually flying to Blighty on your birthday?

My son shares a birthday with you and will be 16 tomorrow ....
Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

No. Stopping for 2 Weeks in Mauritus first then back home.

Happy Birthday to your son, although us Scorpios are not very easy to live with. Very headstrong, jealous, posessive etc. etc.!!!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:00 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY BENNY HILL !!!!!
Oh I envy you going home already, and leaving on your birthday!
Great present to yourself. Enjoy.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

The temperature's falling and the nights are getting longer.

After far too many hot, sticky Decembers in Oz, I'm looking forward to a real Christmas once again.

Bring on the mulled wine!