Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I want help moving back to UK

I want help moving back to UK

Old Oct 29th 2004, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

JanieAnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I want help moving back to UK

Sorry folks but I need some help. I want to move back to the UK. I married a dutch man 3years ago, but I am finding it hard to cope. I cannot stay married to this man. I need to go back to UK and start my life again. Can someone please tell me how to do it. I have money for my fare back, but that is all, and I have no house back in UK. Can anyone please help me.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:57 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want help moving back to UK

Originally Posted by JanieAnn
Sorry folks but I need some help. I want to move back to the UK. I married a dutch man 3years ago, but I am finding it hard to cope. I cannot stay married to this man. I need to go back to UK and start my life again. Can someone please tell me how to do it. I have money for my fare back, but that is all, and I have no house back in UK. Can anyone please help me.

Hi JanieAnn.
I dont think I could be of much help. Going back myself but different circumstances. But just wondering, Do you have no family back in UK that you could stay with for a while? Or maybe a previous job that you could go back to? If you could go back to a previous job then perhaps you could start looking on the net for someone to share a flat with?
There are some wonderful people on this site that are already back and could give you a lot more information. good luck.
calle
Old Oct 29th 2004, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.womensaid.org.uk/help/refuge.htm

They may be a starting point.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 5:16 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very awkward and unhappy position that you find yourself in, and I am sure that all reasonable people must feel for you in this dilemma.

Are you working at the moment, and are you still living with your husband? Is there any way that you could move away from your husband's home and continue working - I know that this might involve increased costs from renting, but it might make life more bearable while you are saving money or considering your options.

Alternatively, is there anyone in the Netherlands that you could stay with for a bit, either rent-free or at a reduced rent? Similarly, is there anyone (family, friends, old work colleagues) that you could stay with in the UK while you at least found your feet again and looked for a job? Would you be eligible for any public assistance in the Netherlands, which, again, might at least help to tide you over.

As far as I know there are no organisations that specifically help people in situations like yours, but others on this site might know otherwise. The UK government has a website specifically aimed at British people returning to live in the UK from abroad (http://www.direct.gov.uk/Audiences/B...gToTheUk/fs/en), although much of the information is not directly relevant to your situation.

You could also look into housing benefit in the UK: information is available on a number of websites, e.g. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene...ng_benefit.asp, http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/em/ind...ng_benefit.htm, http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-120.cfm. How long have you been away from the UK?

Not sure how helpful any of that will be, but perhaps it is a start. All the best for now.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.blijfzeeland.nl/ there is a number for den helder on this website... Refuge for women and children.... They may not be able to help you but may be able to give you a contact that can..... (depending on your circumstances)..

Other than that..... Family and friends back in UK perhaps..... Till you get on your feet.....

Good luck.....
Old Oct 29th 2004, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

This link may also be of use as they have networks in the Netherlands and UK.

http://www.wave-network.org/db/index.html