British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Chester? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/chester-642292/)

mister_meow Nov 26th 2009 3:48 am

Chester?

Hi - I'm new here - I've been in Canada for 8 years. I'm afraid that it has ran it's course for me - Reluctantly I'm looking to go home - I don't fancy the prospect of making min-wage in Canada and running out my last bit of savings - So I want to move to somewhere nice - Chester sounds perfect place to start over - Houses are affordable to let and it looks great - I would like to hear some more thoughts on Chester.

JLTPhotography Nov 26th 2009 4:40 am

Re: Chester?

I used to live near and around Chester. I spent most of my teenage years rattling around the place. It's a lovely city and plenty of nice places to visit close by. The biggest change in the last 8 1/2 years I've been away, living in BC Canada, is at night. There has been a big change, lots of young, aggressive guys, that seem to spend much of their time looking for trouble. I know that you'll find that in most British cities, there seems to be a generation of "don't give a s***" types.:thumbdown: That said, it's still a great city. The surrounding areas are wonderful. I recommend visiting The Pheasant Pub near Tattenhall or The Grosvenor Arms just outside Chester. There's also many good pubs and restaurants in the city centre. Chester has a lovely park and you can walk the Roman walls or hang out at the River Dee in the summer. I'd recommend finding a place in one of the many outlying villages which won't be more than a 10 minute drive to Chester. They have a good park and ride service because parking in Chester can be difficult and expensive. You could do far worse than Chester. Go for it!!:thumbup:

I myself will be moving back to the UK in January. My wife has a scholarship at the Tante Marie cookery school in Woking, Surrey. We're both planning on starting our own business. After her 6 month course we'll be moving out of the Woking area, too expensive, but we don't yet know where we'll go. :blink:

Mummy in the foothills Nov 26th 2009 4:48 am

I love Chester, we went their a lot growing up, I was in college in Wrexham so went from there and it was always the place we went for Christmas shopping, or a day out when we came over for a visit.
Really nice place to live is Hawarden, small and friendly, in easy reach of Chester.

mister_meow Nov 26th 2009 6:30 am

Thank-you - Hawarden I look at the to let prices - I wonder if the green driving license is still value - Now that it has changed to a card - I will need to buy a car quickly when I arrive to get around.

Mummy in the foothills Nov 26th 2009 8:21 am

Originally Posted by mister_meow (Post 8127530)
Thank-you - Hawarden I look at the to let prices - I wonder if the green driving license is still value - Now that it has changed to a card - I will need to buy a car quickly when I arrive to get around.

I have an old no picture license, it's still valid. It has my Moms address on it.

Sazzer Nov 26th 2009 8:45 am

Originally Posted by mister_meow (Post 8127249)
Hi - I'm new here - I've been in Canada for 8 years. I'm afraid that it has ran it's course for me - Reluctantly I'm looking to go home - I don't fancy the prospect of making min-wage in Canada and running out my last bit of savings - So I want to move to somewhere nice - Chester sounds perfect place to start over - Houses are affordable to let and it looks great - I would like to hear some more thoughts on Chester.

My I ask why you are leaving? My husband and I have been talking about going back to the UK, after almost 9 years in Canada. We like it here, the kids have a great life but sometime we just feel there is something missing. Ironically I would be more nervous about going back home then when I was coming over to Canada.

Sazzer Nov 26th 2009 8:49 am

By the way I forgot to mention I lived just outside Chester in a village called Mollington, when I was a girl (that was quite awhile ago) and that was a great village.

Jerseygirl Nov 26th 2009 8:54 am

Welcome to BE...why don't you introduce yourself in the Welcome Inn forum?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145

I lived in the Chester area for many years before moving to the US in 1996. In the last few years I have been looking at property in the area...mainly apartments in the City Centre. What sort of property are you looking for...house/apt...to rent or buy?

I love Chester...the River Dee...the surrounding villages...the pubs...although I have to say I don't think the city centre is as nice as it was. This is probably due to more and more out of town shopping areas. Parking has always been a nightmare...especially at this time of year.

You may find property a little less expensive just over the border into North Wales. We lived in Rossett...6 miles from Chester centre before we moved to the US...before that we lived in Mickle Trafford.

The old pink licence is still valid but you will get a new photo ID licence when you get a new address.

JLTPhotography Nov 26th 2009 8:59 am

Even the new card license comes with a green sheet counterpart with you're driving history on it. Just contact DVLA when you arrive or even before if you have time and get it upgraded to the new card style. You will need an address to give them.
The North West Auto Trader should have plenty of cars in the area to choose from.
Hawarden should be reasonable for rent. Be wary of Blacon and Ellesmere Port, they're not always very desirable areas. There's usually plenty to rent in Hoole which is the north side of the city, Christleton is nice, so is the Boughton area, not to be confused with Broughton which I think is near Hawarden. You could even look at the Wirral area. Because Chester is on the border with North Wales sometimes you can get better rental rates just over the border into Wales, like with Hawarden. Deeside area and Queensferry are close but a bit hit and miss. I suggest getting a B&B, of which most tend to be in Hoole and a short walk to the city centre, and take a drive around. The Baba B&B in Hoole was ok when I last used it or Carriages near Tattenhall just off the main A41, it's changed hands recently but it was a nice place to stay and only 10 min drive to Chester. :)

trottytrue Nov 26th 2009 3:31 pm

I grew up in Chester my parents lived there. It has changed alot over the past few years and unfortunately not for the best. But things do change. The traffic is the worst. Trying to get into town from outlying areas is bad. They now have park and ride. I lived in Hoole which was nice because you could walk into town. I would stay away from Blacon. They do plan alot of new building in the centre of town in the next few years which does not help. My brother still lives there and many of my friends they mostly live in villages outside of Chester.

mister_meow Nov 26th 2009 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by CornishPasty Girl (Post 8127762)
We like it here, the kids have a great life but sometime we just feel there is something missing. Ironically I would be more nervous about going back home then when I was coming over to Canada.

I feel the same - Canada has ran it's course for me - Believe me I'm very very nervous.

Thank-you - Great information - You are all too kind

Jerseygirl Nov 26th 2009 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by mister_meow (Post 8128362)
I feel the same - Canada has ran it's course for me - Believe me I'm very very nervous.

Thank-you - Great information - You are all too kind

Have you been to Chester...how much do you know about the area? Where have you lived in the UK? Are you moving back with family? Sorry about the questions but it may help us to assist you more.

Bijilo123 Nov 26th 2009 9:12 pm

I lived in Chester for three years and loved it. The only proble is traffic and as has been alluded to it is not trouble free - but in fairness not a dangerous place. People who suggest living in the villages should be listned to . I loved Frodsham and Cuddington and the park and ride facility makes Chester very accessible. If you can live within the city walls then that would be marvellous - entirely different.

mister_meow Nov 27th 2009 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8128375)
Have you been to Chester...how much do you know about the area?

Not Much - I just pull it out of a hat - It is very central to where my family lives in equal distance - I will be arriving in June - Hopeful my house will sell.

Victor Meldrew Nov 27th 2009 5:12 am

Originally Posted by mister_meow (Post 8129114)
Not Much - I just pull it out of a hat - It is very central to where my family lives in equal distance - I will be arriving in June - Hopeful my house will sell.

Chester is really nice, also some of the surrounding villages if you like rural.
Frodsham is a good alternative, midway between Chester and Warrington.

Houses in Frodsham nice style and good price, cheaper than Chester (which is relatively expensive)

trottytrue Nov 27th 2009 8:38 am

If you want an idea of what Chester is like search 'Chester Chronicle' it gives you the latest news and you can look at the house section. I have the "British Newspapers" in my favourites so I can have a look at different areas and the news.

Jerseygirl Nov 27th 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 8129700)
If you want an idea of what Chester is like search 'Chester Chronicle' it gives you the latest news and you can look at the house section. I have the "British Newspapers" in my favourites so I can have a look at different areas and the news.

Good idea. This is the link to British Newspapers http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/britnews.htm

mister_meow Nov 28th 2009 1:26 am

Thank-you for the useful links.

Bevm Nov 28th 2009 2:51 am

My I ask why you are leaving? My husband and I have been talking about going back to the UK, after almost 9 years in Canada. We like it here, the kids have a great life but sometime we just feel there is something missing. Ironically I would be more nervous about going back home then when I was coming over to Canada.

There are plenty of us on here. We moved back a few months ago after 30 plus years. Mind you, we don't have to worry about finding jobs and could pick where we wanted to live. So many factors are different. But we're certainly finding it more lively and varied.

Have you always lived in BC? We were in Victoria. Lovely place, lovely people, but some of us do find it a bit unsatisfying in the end. It's a long way from other places, for a start. And maybe it's something to do with so many people moving into coastal BC for the climate, so the established community in the cities, at least, isn't there.

It's a mystery, but believe me, you're not alone. Perhaps you should read and comment in one of the Canada posts here.

Bev

Sazzer Nov 28th 2009 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 8131167)
There are plenty of us on here. We moved back a few months ago after 30 plus years. Mind you, we don't have to worry about finding jobs and could pick where we wanted to live. So many factors are different. But we're certainly finding it more lively and varied.

Have you always lived in BC? We were in Victoria. Lovely place, lovely people, but some of us do find it a bit unsatisfying in the end. It's a long way from other places, for a start. And maybe it's something to do with so many people moving into coastal BC for the climate, so the established community in the cities, at least, isn't there.

It's a mystery, but believe me, you're not alone. Perhaps you should read and comment in one of the Canada posts here.

Bev

I know this is a bit off track about Chester but in response to Bevm. I believe what I have to say has already be said in the Canada forum and I feel that forum is full of very hopeful immigrants or immigrants to be. It would be hard for a new immigrant to understand. I'm now stuck with being half Canadian / half English. I know more about how the Canadian school system works then the English, all my sport experience for my boys has been through ice hockey. When I left England I just had a one year old son and now I would go back with 7 and 9 ice hockey playing kids. Our lives are very good, we have our our business which is now beginning to do well in the US, although it beginning to do well in the UK. Nevertheless the shock of busy roads, busy supermarkets etc maybe too much but we miss the access to Europe, diversity, history. Anyway I'm going back next summer for six weeks to see how I feel but even if I wanted to go back I think the cost of a house would be too much. After 30 years don't you feel out of place in the UK and did you leave any kids, grandchildren behind?

rae Nov 29th 2009 2:28 pm

very nice, great nightlife and shopping, very historic with lovely buildings and the river, lots to see and do nearby too. the only downside is it gets quite busy as it is touristy.

TiddlyPom Nov 29th 2009 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by rae (Post 8134160)
very nice, great nightlife and shopping, very historic with lovely buildings and the river, lots to see and do nearby too. the only downside is it gets quite busy as it is touristy.

Agree with all the assessments of Chester.
It's a lovely town, with beautiful old buildings, great shopping, nice restaurants, and the nightlife is great. It's surrounded by rural places which maintains its country feel... the Roman stuff is gorgeous. I love shopping in Brown's of Chester... and staying for lunch there - it's a sort of family thing we used to do.
It's interesting, lots to do, child friendly... Chester college there for further ed should you want it...
Surrounding towns good and interesting and the schools are well respected should you need those. A good hub for commuting to other places for work.. M56 is nearby, so run through to Manchester, or down further...
Beautiful place... flat and filled with red brick farmhouses as Cheshire only can be....
Alderley edge nearby, gorgeous walks in Congleton, the Peckforton Hills, Delamere forest and Beaston Castle are divine.

Not a nicer spot I reckon.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/22/...0_8cbb8724.jpg

Bijilo123 Nov 29th 2009 4:33 pm

Lovely photo, obviously the Cheshire plain - but where from?

TiddlyPom Nov 29th 2009 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8134434)
Lovely photo, obviously the Cheshire plain - but where from?

That's taken from Stanners Nab in the Peckforton Hills.

It's beautiful isn't it.

mister_meow Nov 30th 2009 1:58 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom (Post 8134411)
Not a nicer spot I reckon.

Great that is really good to hear.

albertabound Dec 3rd 2009 3:14 pm

Chester is a lovely city as people have said. Again, I would consider Frodsham to live.
It has a beautiful high street. Has won best kept village many times. Has an open air market with fresh local produce every Thursday and maybe Saturday?
It also has an award winning butcher/pie maker who raise and slaughter their own meat.
The steak pies are to die for............
No!! I dont miss the UK:ohmy:
Tina

Jerseygirl Dec 3rd 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by albertabound (Post 8145312)
Chester is a lovely city as people have said. Again, I would consider Frodsham to live.
It has a beautiful high street. Has won best kept village many times. Has an open air market with fresh local produce every Thursday and maybe Saturday?
It also has an award winning butcher/pie maker who raise and slaughter their own meat.
No!! I dont miss the UK:ohmy:
Tina

Frodsham market is only on Thursdays. The butchers you are referring to must be Cowards...always bought my meat from there.

albertabound Dec 3rd 2009 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8145318)
Frodsham market is only on Thursdays. The butchers you are referring to must be Cowards...always bought my meat from there.

Yep it is Cowards. Sue is still baking like mad:rofl::thumbup:
Tina

psb1821962 Dec 3rd 2009 7:18 pm

I came back from the states Mass after 22 yrs and yes it's a LOT more scary coming back here than when I went,I missed my family and the last 7-8 years were aweful there as every year the longing for wanting to come back grew more and more but I had a partner whose mother decided that it was best for her and the kids that we were in the states and she wouldnt go against her mothers wishes although she did want to come back just as much as me. Eventually we split up up as one day I just said I am going and cant take anymore,my partner came too as she couldnt survive there on her own but we split up shortly after coming back to the UK.

Now I know that's not a nice story but if you and your partner have are both together and no outside influences then there will be no problems I am just telling my story and there were a LOT of outside influences and people messing with my partners head.

I guess for me there is nowhere like home and no people like English people and when you think about it life is all about people really and nothing else matters

Bijilo123 Dec 3rd 2009 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by albertabound (Post 8145312)
Chester is a lovely city as people have said. It also has an award winning butcher/pie maker who raise and slaughter their own meat.
:
Tina

...well if you are a cow they are...;)

albertabound Dec 4th 2009 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8145667)
...well if you are a cow they are...;)

Moooooooooooo:rofl:

mister_meow Dec 5th 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by psb1821962 (Post 8145618)
I guess for me there is nowhere like home and no people like English people and when you think about it life is all about people really and nothing else matters

Wow thanks for sharing - It must have been quiet a shock when you first went back after all those years.

psb1821962 Dec 6th 2009 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mister_meow (Post 8149467)
Wow thanks for sharing - It must have been quiet a shock when you first went back after all those years.

It was a bit of a shock but am happy I am home and with my people again,after a while you get a feeling of not knowing where you belong which is a bit scary.There are positives and negatives of everywhere but I personally think we humans are only in search of 1 thing and that is to be happy I could be dead wrong but I really believe lifestyle,homes,boats,cars etc etc don't make us happy as it's just stuff and the novelty wears off after a while trust me been there done that,the only thing of real substance on this earth is people so in my opinion go where the people and be with the people that make you most happy,just my 2 cents worth fwiw

mister_meow Dec 6th 2009 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by psb1821962 (Post 8151699)
It was a bit of a shock but am happy I am home and with my people again,after a while you get a feeling of not knowing where you belong which is a bit scary.There are positives and negatives of everywhere but I personally think we humans are only in search of 1 thing and that is to be happy I could be dead wrong but I really believe lifestyle,homes,boats,cars etc etc don't make us happy as it's just stuff and the novelty wears off after a while trust me been there done that,the only thing of real substance on this earth is people so in my opinion go where the people and be with the people that make you most happy,just my 2 cents worth fwiw

Can't argue with that - The older I get the more I relies that - Also Having no friends for 8 years has made me appreciate my old mates and perhaps I'll be making some new friends in the process - Also I won't miss the depressing winter - I hope I can settle - because for the longest time I have felt like outsider in Canada despite how lovely it is here - It just not home for me - I know that England has gone though some very big changes and that violent crime is everywhere and much more prevalent than when I left - It is the only thing that making feel slightly nervous

TiddlyPom Dec 6th 2009 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by mister_meow (Post 8151952)
Can't argue with that - The older I get the more I relies that - Also Having no friends for 8 years has made me appreciate my old mates and perhaps I'll be making some new friends in the process - Also I won't miss the depressing winter - I hope I can settle - because for the longest time I have felt like outsider in Canada despite how lovely it is here - It just not home for me - I know that England has gone though some very big changes and that violent crime is everywhere and much more prevalent than when I left - It is the only thing that making feel slightly nervous

If crime bothers you so much, you can check out Chester's by looking here:

http://www.cheshire.police.uk/showco...hp?pageid=1480

There's a PDF at the bottom that looks accurate.

Also if you go to the council page for Cheshire West and Chester, then you can put 'crime' into the search box and it will give you a lot of articles.
http://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/

I wouldn't ever have put Chester up as a high violent crime area. Bags nicked in the centre, the odd mugging, like all towns and cities... but also, you can't let that bother you otherwise you'd never step out of your front door! It's not as bad as you think it is.

Jerseygirl Dec 7th 2009 7:36 am

Originally Posted by mister_meow (Post 8151952)

Seriously crime is not that bad. You have to be sensible about where you go (Blacon has been a bad area for as long as I can remember) and about the time of day. When I'm in the UK I'm often in the Chester area on my own and feel safe. The only time I think I wouldn't feel uncomfortable is if I was in the city centre at night alone. I don't go into any city centre at night...I stick to small villages usually in the Chester area.

mister_meow Dec 8th 2009 2:07 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom (Post 8151972)
If crime bothers you so much, you can check out Chester's by looking here:

Thanks - Quiet a lot of crime in some areas - Here where I live it almost non existent.

TiddlyPom Dec 8th 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by mister_meow (Post 8156279)
Thanks - Quiet a lot of crime in some areas - Here where I live it almost non existent.

The surrounds of Chester has typical small village crime. Bit of grafitti, post office (if there are any left) being held up once every 25 years.
Inner city ..... all the same as other inner cities I guess.

Jerseygirl Dec 8th 2009 7:52 am

Originally Posted by mister_meow (Post 8156279)

You mean here?

http://spotcrime.com/on/london

mister_meow Dec 8th 2009 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8157166)

But if you do compared to England where I live it is almost non existent - London is over 350,000 people - That's is very low crime for city this big - It is Interesting find tho.