Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

To the Catholics on this board.

To the Catholics on this board.

Old May 29th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To the Catholics on this board.

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I thought it was good anyhow... Don't think I have ever seen a bad movie with Tom Hanks in it.
"Joe versus the volcano" was cack.
Old May 29th 2009, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
If you liked the Da Vinci Code then read this. Dan brown nicked all his story from this anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Blood-Gra.../dp/0440136482
Not according to the plaigirism suit Baigent lost which cost him 3 mill!
Old May 29th 2009, 2:49 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Why just catholics? I am anglican which is like catholic lite!
Old May 29th 2009, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Not according to the plaigirism suit Baigent lost which cost him 3 mill!
The fact is that Browns whole story is based on research done by Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln for HB/HG. The reason he won the courtcase (apart from his mega buck lawyers being paid by the publishers and movie company about to shoot the movie) is that the authors of HB/HG can't have the rights to actual historical events (and rightfully so).

Unfortunately, Browns book has completely undermined the research by Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln as now Joe Public will think the whole Rennes Le Chateau mystery was all just the figment of some American authors imagination.
Old May 29th 2009, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
Why just catholics? I am anglican which is like catholic lite!
Anglican is nothing like Catholic, save worshipping the same man.
Old May 29th 2009, 8:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I have read Angels and Demons and I liked it but I've been to Rome and seen The Vatican and stuff first hand.

Had to turn Italian tv off though when the Pope died as it just went on and on and on forever.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:57 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Should priests be allowed to marry?
discuss.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cindyabs
discuss.
Allowed to marry? They shouldn't even be allowed to be female.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

The fact is that Browns whole story is based on research done by Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln for HB/HG. The reason he won the courtcase (apart from his mega buck lawyers being paid by the publishers and movie company about to shoot the movie) is that the authors of HB/HG can't have the rights to actual historical events (and rightfully so).

Unfortunately, Browns book has completely undermined the research by Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln as now Joe Public will think the whole Rennes Le Chateau mystery was all just the figment of some American authors imagination.
Do you believe HB/HG is an accurate historical representation?

IMO too many historians and scholars have debunked it's central arguments, especially the fundamental issue of the PoS protecting the Merovingian bloodline, originally premised by Plantard in the mid 1950's which is a central theme of HB/HG.

The documents Baigent relies upon as factual and historical evidence in HB/HG were planted by Plantard in the Bibliothèque Nationale as early as 1965. As for the Rennes le Chateau scrolls and Saunière's parchments, another source of the "evidence and facts" these were analysed independently in the 1990's and found to be "no more than 40 years old."

HB/HG is a hoax and work of fiction bending a few credible facts to tell a conspiracy story, along the same lines Brown's Da Vinci Code tells a similar "entertaining story...that promotes spiritual debate" As such, I can see why Baigent was upset, especially when Brown had a central character in the book (Leigh Teabing), Leigh = Richard Leigh, co-author of HB/HG and Teabing, an anagram of Baigent.

For my money the law suit was no more than a publicity stunt to sell more copies of Da Vinci Code and HB/HG, both of whom have the same publisher.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Allowed to marry? They shouldn't even be allowed to be female.
Given your earlier comments, why do you care?
Old May 29th 2009, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
discuss.
They're human aren't they? As such, they do have emotions and feelings. IMHO, the church is actually going against the bible by not allowing them to marry. The bible says 'go forth and multiply,' which is what they church has been telling people to do (since they can't use contraceptives). So aren't they breaking a key doctrine? I say, let them marry and be as miserable as the rest of us! j/k...If they can marry, they will be more in tune with their parishioners, no?
Old May 29th 2009, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Do you believe HB/HG is an accurate historical representation?
I don't believe the Plantard PoS stuff. However I think there is merit to the story that the KT found something of the utmost religous importance under the temple mount. Otherwise there is little to explain their virtual overnight explosion in wealth and power over the papacy....until Friday 13th of course.

IMO too many historians and scholars have debunked it's central arguments, especially the fundamental issue of the PoS protecting the Merovingian bloodline, originally premised by Plantard in the mid 1950's which is a central theme of HB/HG.
I know little of the PoS save what I've read in HB/HG. The whole reason for my interest in the topic stems from an interest with the KT and their links to the origins of Freemasonry.

The documents Baigent relies upon as factual and historical evidence in HB/HG were planted by Plantard in the Bibliothèque Nationale as early as 1965.
I do believe that the documents that they relied were vast and included much more than the Biblotheque Nationale's records, much much more. I believe they also included the New and Old testaments, the Gospels of Thomas, The Gospels of Mary Magdelene, the Gnostic gospels and the Nag Hammadi Scrolls etc were also used and these a quite abit older than 1965 and were conveniently left out of the bible to serve the Roman Empires means when reverting to catholicism. Be interesting to see a catholic denounce anything found in the bible as a heresy, yet they steadfastly refute anything that contradicts their dogma that was written during the same time as their own favoured gospels. Smell a rat? I do..

As for the Rennes le Chateau scrolls and Saunière's parchments, another source of the "evidence and facts" these were analysed independently in the 1990's and found to be "no more than 40 years old."
I think you'll find nobody has dated the Rennes Le Chateau "treasure" as it's whereabouts remains a mystery. It is reputed to be in 3 different places including underneath Roslyn Chapel.

HB/HG is a hoax and work of fiction bending a few credible facts to tell a conspiracy story, along the same lines Brown's Da Vinci Code tells a similar "entertaining story...that promotes spiritual debate" As such, I can see why Baigent was upset, especially when Brown had a central character in the book (Leigh Teabing), Leigh = Richard Leigh, co-author of HB/HG and Teabing, an anagram of Baigent.
You forgot the curator of the Louvre was also "Sauniere". So what were the "few credible facts" then
Old May 29th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't believe the Plantard PoS stuff. However I think there is merit to the story that the KT found something of the utmost religous importance under the temple mount. Otherwise there is little to explain their virtual overnight explosion in wealth and power over the papacy....until Friday 13th of course.

I know little of the PoS save what I've read in HB/HG. The whole reason for my interest in the topic stems from an interest with the KT and their links to the origins of Freemasonry.

I do believe that the documents that they relied were vast and included much more than the Biblotheque Nationale's records, much much more. I believe they also included the New and Old testaments, the Gospels of Thomas, The Gospels of Mary Magdelene, the Gnostic gospels and the Nag Hammadi Scrolls etc were also used and these a quite abit older than 1965 and were conveniently left out of the bible to serve the Roman Empires means when reverting to catholicism. Be interesting to see a catholic denounce anything found in the bible as a heresy, yet they steadfastly refute anything that contradicts their dogma that was written during the same time as their own favoured gospels. Smell a rat? I do..

I think you'll find nobody has dated the Rennes Le Chateau "treasure" as it's whereabouts remains a mystery. It is reputed to be in 3 different places including underneath Roslyn Chapel.

You forgot the curator of the Louvre was also "Sauniere". So what were the "few credible facts" then
Good pick up on the Curator. The 'credible facts' are those irrefutables beyond disagreement i.e.

The existence of Christ - ref' the writings of Tacitus, Flavius Josephus, Pliny etc.

Mary Magdalene - mentioned in all of the other "official" gospels, including the one she also wrote,

The Merovingian Dynsaty - Childeric I through III, ending 791 AD,

KT - Royal Seal still in existence, writings of many contemporay proponents e.g. Bernard of Clairvaux and the Omne Datum Bull from Innocent II.

Poussin's Painting - "et in arcadia ego" hangs in the Louvre today

Berenger Sauniere - birth/death records and grave at R le C

As you have read HB/HG you will know that a central tenet of their argument is Sauniere amassing a vast fortune from his discovery in 1891 of ancient, historical documents pertaining to a "great secret", which he used to bribe the catholic church with. The source of this comes from "Le Trésor Maudit" by Gerard de Sede in 1967. It is this "great secret" which supposedly ties the offspring of Christ/Magdalene through the Merovingians and connects the facts above.

However, on the other hand Sauniere's wealth has also been put down to accepting fees for prayers and masses over the post, for which he was paid thousands of francs, which he was ordered to cease doing in 1906 by the Bishop of Carcassonne.

Additionally, in 2005 Gerard de Sede's son, Arnaud was interviewed and stated his father and and Plantard had fabricated many of the "facts" in "Le Tresor", including the PoS, the Protectors of the bloodline.

I don't dispute that Baigent et al used other sources including the those you mention, however their chief resource they based their evidence on were the "Dossiers Secrets" at the Bibliothèque all of which were written by Pierre Plantard and an accomplice using pseudonyms.

My view is that Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln wanted to find the next Watergate and were suckered by a con
Old May 29th 2009, 3:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
They're human aren't they? As such, they do have emotions and feelings. IMHO, the church is actually going against the bible by not allowing them to marry. The bible says 'go forth and multiply,' which is what they church has been telling people to do (since they can't use contraceptives). So aren't they breaking a key doctrine? I say, let them marry and be as miserable as the rest of us! j/k...If they can marry, they will be more in tune with their parishioners, no?
I've always wondered how someone who is not allowed to marry could counsel someone on marriage..........

anyway, reading this light tome- the History of the Popes, interesting how many of the early ones were married, and even one pope the son of another pope..........
Old May 29th 2009, 3:49 pm
Sursum corda

Watched a documentary on Angels and Demons and how there were many inaccuracies and untruths in it. Those that waded in were not all from the Catholic church.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.