Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car - take it or not? Can't work it out!

Car - take it or not? Can't work it out!

Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car - take it or not? Can't work it out!

Hi,

Can anyone help me work this out. I have a Mitsubishi Outlander that is only 8mths old. Can't work out whether it's worth taking it home or whether to sell it here. If I sold it here I would hope to get about $28-29k. We need more than a 20ft container for the furniture, but I think it will cost approx. $4000 more to take the car. I know that there are other fees to consider like changing the speedo etc. but just can't get my head around how to work out if it's worth taking it or not. If anyone can help me then please do! I know to replace the car in the UK like for like would be about £16k.

Thanks

Jo
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:26 am
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car - take it or not? Can't work it out!

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi,

Can anyone help me work this out. I have a Mitsubishi Outlander that is only 8mths old. Can't work out whether it's worth taking it home or whether to sell it here. If I sold it here I would hope to get about $28-29k. We need more than a 20ft container for the furniture, but I think it will cost approx. $4000 more to take the car. I know that there are other fees to consider like changing the speedo etc. but just can't get my head around how to work out if it's worth taking it or not. If anyone can help me then please do! I know to replace the car in the UK like for like would be about £16k.

Thanks

Jo
Hi Jo ,
we are still in the move or not to move back to the uk mood , we would have to move back by June if we do go back thats when our rental is up..

Anyway we have the same problem and the same car so i hope someone knows the answer .

Also do you mind if i ask you who you are using for moving you back ?

cheers

kez x
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:31 am
Just Joined

nonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nice

Hi, we were considering taking back my car but sold it in the end within 3 hours of putting it up for sale. I asked though and was qouted $2500 and it was a Honda HRV, was also told that you need to have been living here for more then 6 months and the car older then a year old for you to be able to avoid paying tax when you get back to the UK, sure someone will correct me though if that is wrong. Lauren
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
Hi Jo ,
we are still in the move or not to move back to the uk mood , we would have to move back by June if we do go back thats when our rental is up..

Anyway we have the same problem and the same car so i hope someone knows the answer .

Also do you mind if i ask you who you are using for moving you back ?

cheers

kez x
Hi Kez,

Had Kent round to quote on Friday, waiting for the price. I am then going to phone around with the size we need and get comparisons. The only thing is he said we've got too much for a 20ft container and I think he'll price the rest as groupage (in a container with other people's stuff) I know this is cheaper than having a 40ft container but worried about stuff going missing, this is why we are thinking we might be as well to get a 40ft one and take the car. Also have emailed about shipping just the car from Fremantle as we will want it as soon as we get back and then leaving the furniture in storage here (cheaper than storing in UK apparently) and shipping it when we have bought a house. They will then deliver stuff and unpack in new house.

Jo
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonnynoo
Hi, we were considering taking back my car but sold it in the end within 3 hours of putting it up for sale. I asked though and was qouted $2500 and it was a Honda HRV, was also told that you need to have been living here for more then 6 months and the car older then a year old for you to be able to avoid paying tax when you get back to the UK, sure someone will correct me though if that is wrong. Lauren
Hi Lauren,

The bloke from Kent told me that you have to have had the car for 6mths and you are not allowed to sell it in the UK for 1 year. I think you have to have been living here for a year but can't remember. All I know is that he said we wouldn't have to pay tax and we have been here 2 years in May and bought the car last July.

Jo
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Jo
May be worth checking it out, but I think you may get stung for VAT as well when you land, due to car's age and your length of time owning it?
Could be quite a hefty sum too if you are liable to pay.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:16 am
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rascal
May be worth checking it out, but I think you may get stung for VAT as well when you land, due to car's age and your length of time owning it?
Could be quite a hefty sum too if you are liable to pay.
Hi Jo thanks for the reply ...looks like selling it here cause we have only been here 7 months ,please let me know how you get on

thanks kez
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

Don't forget too that a car personally imported from Oz (and converted to UK spec), will be worth less in the UK than an "officially imported" one.

Matt
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MattH
Don't forget too that a car personally imported from Oz (and converted to UK spec), will be worth less in the UK than an "officially imported" one.

Matt

This is interesting and one of the reasons I can't work out whether it's financially worth doing. My car to buy in the UK new is about £19000K (about $45000) whereas here it only cost $33000 ish with loads of extras. Saying that, if we sell it here I won't spend the whole amount on a car, so we would have more money towards a house as well as not having the shipping cost.

Jo
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:12 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

you need to check also if there are any other changes to make when you get to the uk you can't just unload it and drive it it as to go though an engineering inspection and complience plates fitted etc and it's not cheap from what I'm told
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toandfro
you need to check also if there are any other changes to make when you get to the uk you can't just unload it and drive it it as to go though an engineering inspection and complience plates fitted etc and it's not cheap from what I'm told
I think another person said on a post that it cost them £780 so I am allowing $2000 for that in my head. Still don't know if it's a good idea! I emailed Mitsubishi UK last week to ask them if the warranty will be valid/parts the same etc but no response as yet. It looks like the same car with the same engine is sold in the UK but with a different name. The other question is whether they charge more to insure an import? Can't see why but there is no option on the online quote I did with Sainsburys car insurance. I was with them before we came and they were the cheapest. The online quote was under £400 for me and OH which I thought was good as the car is a 2.4 which is nothing over here but quite a big engine in the UK! Don't know if they'll whack the price up though when they know it's an import.

Any ideas?

JO
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:31 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

I think another person said on a post that it cost them £780 so I am allowing $2000 for that in my head. Still don't know if it's a good idea! I emailed Mitsubishi UK last week to ask them if the warranty will be valid/parts the same etc but no response as yet. It looks like the same car with the same engine is sold in the UK but with a different name. The other question is whether they charge more to insure an import? Can't see why but there is no option on the online quote I did with Sainsburys car insurance. I was with them before we came and they were the cheapest. The online quote was under £400 for me and OH which I thought was good as the car is a 2.4 which is nothing over here but quite a big engine in the UK! Don't know if they'll whack the price up though when they know it's an import.

Any ideas?

JO
personally I would sell the thing and cut the hassle. you can buy a cheap run about when home and decide what car to buy at your leasure .the car will take a good 6-12 weeks to arrive so you have to hire or buy again either this end or the other ,as you say the models in the uk are similar so it isn't a vintage collecable that cannot be replaced and you have so much else to do and worry about . Personally I would liquidate travel with cash,the resale in the uk might be a bit of a problem too since it would be an import and larger that the brits are use to
just my thoughts