Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance suppliers for returning expats

Car Insurance suppliers for returning expats

Old Jun 8th 2020, 10:48 am
Just Joined

escapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance suppliers for returning expats

Good day to you all.

I recently returned to live in the UK after living in NZ for 16 years.

I just purchased a car now the dealers are open again.

The insurance companies contacted so far (online quotes and one phone quote so far) are viewing me as a high risk driver with sky high premiums.

I haven’t had more than a hairline scratch on my car in NZ, the usual car park stuff.

4 years incident free car ownership prior to leaving the UK.

Any tips/advice around this, UK companies who will check out ‘no claims’ status with NZ insurer etc., please?

I have been in touch with Auntie Google but she said the best advice is from actual consumers, not paid search listing advertisers, lol.

Thanks for any help. ☺️
Old Jun 8th 2020, 10:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance suppliers for returning expats

Originally Posted by escapingtheodore
Good day to you all.

I recently returned to live in the UK after living in NZ for 16 years.

I just purchased a car now the dealers are open again.

The insurance companies contacted so far (online quotes and one phone quote so far) are viewing me as a high risk driver with sky high premiums.

I haven’t had more than a hairline scratch on my car in NZ, the usual car park stuff.

4 years incident free car ownership prior to leaving the UK.

Any tips/advice around this, UK companies who will check out ‘no claims’ status with NZ insurer etc., please?

I have been in touch with Auntie Google but she said the best advice is from actual consumers, not paid search listing advertisers, lol.

Thanks for any help. ☺️
Aviva is often recommended here, including by myself. They will take your no claims bonus into consideration and after doing a LOT of premium comparisons they were at the cheaper end. I like having all my details in a personal account on their website and their customer service is friendly. I actually insured my own property and two rental properties with them as well, plus travel insurance. Can't comment on how they handle claims as I've never had to make one (touch wood!)
Old Jun 8th 2020, 11:00 am
Just Joined

escapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Aviva is often recommended here, including by myself. They will take your no claims bonus into consideration and after doing a LOT of premium comparisons they were at the cheaper end. I like having all my details in a personal account on their website and their customer service is friendly. I actually insured my own property and two rental properties with them as well, plus travel insurance. Can't comment on how they handle claims as I've never had to make one (touch wood!)
Thank you, I will give them a whirl and see how it goes. Churchill just quoted me £1500. Ouch.

Will feed back and of course, welcome any other recommendations. Cheers!
Old Jun 8th 2020, 11:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I will give them a whirl and see how it goes. Churchill just quoted me £1500. Ouch.

Will feed back and of course, welcome any other recommendations. Cheers!
OMG £1,500??!! Are you 12 years old and insuring a Lamborghini?!
Old Jun 8th 2020, 11:09 am
Concierge

ps I inadvertently fibbed when I said I'd never had to make a claim. Forgot about the one last year, when part of the felt roof of one of the rental's outbuildings blew off. I only had to send them one quote and they accepted the claim and deposited the funds in my bank account 3 days later - before the actual work had even commenced.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Ha ha ha, I don’t wish I was 12 again but if only I was insuring a Lamborghini. 🤣

Aviva do keep coming up as rating highly on comparison sites etc. Contacting them now.......sure they can beat Churchill??!!
Old Jun 8th 2020, 11:44 am
Concierge

Ha ha ha, I don’t wish I was 12 again but if only I was insuring a Lamborghini. 🤣

Aviva do keep coming up as rating highly on comparison sites etc. Contacting them now.......sure they can beat Churchill??!!
Let us know how you get on if you don't mind. There are a lot of insurance questions asked here so the more knowledge we can build up the better.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Let us know how you get on if you don't mind. There are a lot of insurance questions asked here so the more knowledge we can build up the better.
Thank you, Spouse of Scouse! Just ran a very quick quote online with Aviva and it’s come in at just under £600 including most extras like legal cover, courtesy car etc.

Whew, I can now go through with a fine tooth comb now and refine it a bit.

Go Aviva! And the site took me to online payment without asking for proof of no claims in NZ. That would have been extra hassle and I pick the car up this week so need to get covered.

Will keep you posted on final outcome and if any pitfalls eventuate but looking much rosier so far.

Wondering if it might help reduce premium for the next policy update, if I stay incident free for this initial 12 months, plus have UK licence again (currently still on NZ full licence).

Appreciate your help, and the chat. 🙂

Old Jun 8th 2020, 12:01 pm
Concierge

Thank you, Spouse of Scouse! Just ran a very quick quote online with Aviva and it’s come in at just under £600 including most extras like legal cover, courtesy car etc.

Whew, I can now go through with a fine tooth comb now and refine it a bit.

Go Aviva! And the site took me to online payment without asking for proof of no claims in NZ. That would have been extra hassle and I pick the car up this week so need to get covered.

Will keep you posted on final outcome and if any pitfalls eventuate but looking much rosier so far.

Wondering if it might help reduce premium for the next policy update, if I stay incident free for this initial 12 months, plus have UK licence again (currently still on NZ full licence).

Appreciate your help, and the chat. 🙂
You're very welcome, nice chatting with you!

A word of 'warning', Aviva may ask you to send them proof of your no claims bonus (or whatever the UK call it) when they process your request but hopefully you've kept a document showing that from your last insurer. Our NCB did increase on an annual basis so you should be all good there.

£600 sounds far better than £1,500, I nearly fell off my chair when I read that! Good to see you're going through the fine print, so many people seem to miss that part and as you know it's the most important one.